Ovation pilots, can you flight plan a trip for me?

cujet

4 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

Mike, what altitude and fuel burn were you at?  I only get 185 TAS at around 3k and 20g/hr.  I'm more used to 175 TAS at normal Ovation cruise altitudes and ROP.      

Most likely had the acclaim type s prop. 

• Like 1

I would easily make that flight nonstop in my Eagle with the 310 hp stc and 100 gallon tanks. I would have a little over 2 hours reserve flying at 10K with a 6 kts headwind. I have A/C on my plane so I loose a few kts. On long trips i fly my plane up high and turn up the rpm to maintain the same airspeed and less fuel burn. I think they Eagle/ovation is the highest performance and saftey with the least amounts maintenance in the entire Mooney line up. With an Eagle you also get the highest useful load. I just reweighed my plane and have 1057 lbs useful and I have A/C but no Built in O2, pretty impressive! I prefer portable O2 since it’s easier and less costly for me to refill. 

BC8FA8D6-7FEA-43C8-93CB-135207627FD7.thumb.png.467d859b1afe9efeb6ebd3b253dd2bef.png0B766C69-180E-49A5-8618-B7E17ABAAC12.thumb.jpeg.95e73d2717fce70cfb6aed05c16974ac.jpegToday I would 

• Like 4

I'm currently using JetBlue to do the trip. Seems the Ovation is competitive in every way. 
0.5 hour drive to PBI
1 hour ++ early to clear TSA
2.6 hours flight time to HPN
1.4 hour drive to SWF. 

Lower dispatch rate, no direct tv...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gsengle said:

Lower dispatch rate, no direct tv...

Hahaha, after 10 years of doing this, I'm not so sure about that dispatch rate, errr, ahhh, arrival rate. HPN has terrible fog, maybe that's why they call it "White Plains". JetBlue recently dropped me off at JFK, as HPN was fogged in. $140 uber ride to HPN. JetBlue averages 3x/year fail rate for me. I average 1 to 2. 

At least when I fly my plane, I can leave at times chosen by me and not subject to some schedule. 

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

yes it was the 310 HP O3

4BC is an 280hp O2, but very fast.  Returning to Mn from the Summit (8-10k) I was seeing the same performance, 178kts at 12.6-12.8gph.  For a good while it was showing 180ktas.  That was 50lop. ROP 185ktas should be no problem, but the extra 5kts will cost several GPH. 

Cheers,

Dan

My turbo F with long range tanks would be about 6hrs (no wind) at 160-170kts at FL200 and would carry 500+ lbs with IFR reserves. 

While the numbers of the post J’s are amazing in many respects I think the trade offs become a lot more extreme as well.  N201MKTurbo probably has the best Mooney possible.  

24 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Mickey,

I was looking for some additional details regarding Brain Calcification, altitude, pilots and oxygen ....

Unfortunately, I only found genetic disorders...

Got any additional info or links?

Best regards,

-a-

I just went to look but I believe it was a study published in the Aerospace Medicine Journal a few years ago.  I will look into it and get back to you. You can PM me. and talk off line about it.  Are you a doc as well?  and you're based in Jersey?

• Like 1

4BC is an 280hp O2, but very fast.  Returning to Mn from the Summit (8-10k) I was seeing the same performance, 178kts at 12.6-12.8gph.  For a good while it was showing 180ktas.  That was 50lop. ROP 185ktas should be no problem, but the extra 5kts will cost several GPH. 
Cheers,
Dan
I stand corrected, Dan. I thought it was a 310, as it sure flys Like one

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I stand corrected, Dan. I thought it was a 310, as it sure flys Like one

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

As a practical matter there is no difference between a 310hp R and a 280 in cruise. These example flights aren’t flown at or above 2500 rpm or at altitudes that will allow over 24” of manifold pressure. The only difference is the prop, and I have a 280 with a top prop, so the max hp isn’t the factor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 8:11 PM, gsengle said:

As a practical matter there is no difference between a 310hp R and a 280 in cruise. These example flights aren’t flown at or above 2500 rpm or at altitudes that will allow over 24” of manifold pressure. The only difference is the prop, and I have a 280 with a top prop, so the max hp isn’t the factor...

Very true; when I converted from 280hp (2-bladed) to 310hp (3-bladed), the cruise numbers remained very similar; but the climb!!! And when you use the plane for travel, that makes a big difference, e.g., to climb quickly through clouds or to higher altitudes (actually, ceiling is now >20k ft!) . So I highly recommend the 310 conversion (Eagle, Ovation).

My Mooney is a bit slower, with AC and non-FIKI anti-ice. I like to fly at 8-12k ft, and LOP, at 2,500 RPM, 12.3 GpH or so and 170 to 173 KTAS. I have the Monroy's with 130 Gallons, which means when I am flying by myself and leaning out at 10k ft I have seen 10+ hours of endurance. So forget Florida, and Hello Europe! (Just kidding of course....:))

• Like 3

On 1/19/2019 at 1:48 PM, carusoam said:

Mickey,

I was looking for some additional details regarding Brain Calcification, altitude, pilots and oxygen ....

Unfortunately, I only found genetic disorders...

Got any additional info or links?

Best regards,

-a-

Genetic disorders. Well,  you do own an airplane. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, THill182 said:

Very true; when I converted from 280hp (2-bladed) to 310hp (3-bladed), the cruise numbers remained very similar; but the climb!!! And when you use the plane for travel, that makes a big difference, e.g., to climb quickly through clouds or to higher altitudes (actually, ceiling is now >20k ft!) . So I highly recommend the 310 conversion (Eagle, Ovation).

My Mooney is a bit slower, with AC and non-FIKI anti-ice. I like to fly at 8-12k ft, and LOP, at 2,500 RPM, 12.3 GpH or so and 170 to 173 KTAS. I have the Monroy's with 130 Gallons, which means when I am flying by myself and leaning out at 10k ft I have seen 10+ hours of endurance. So forget Florida, and Hello Europe! (Just kidding of course....:))

Holy Cow!!!

10+ Hours is to much.

I use my personal tank(bladder) for long XC flight planning.

2 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

Holy Cow!!! 10+ Hours is too much.I use my personal tank(bladder) for long XC flight planning.

I have never flown 10 hours, for the record...; but my fuel flow meter told me I could go that long in theory.

But: Going on long trips out to and straight West it is good to know that you can plan for a 2 hour reserve after a 5 hour flight with not-so-exact forecasts of headwind. One of my longer flights was from Washington DC to Oklahoma. It took 7 hours - I had hoped less than 6 but fueled for 8 hours....

So it's really about the flexibility to make choices, and frankly there is no other airplane like the Mooney's with long-range tanks -- even many light jets and turboprops don't have the range and flexibility...

3 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

Holy Cow!!!

10+ Hours is to much.

I use my personal tank(bladder) for long XC flight planning.

Large tanks come in handy for round trips to destinations that have no fuel or expensive fuel. On my trip to Utah this weak end I will top off at 100 gallons before I leave and take on my 10 gallon minimum to wave the ramp fee saving over $2 a gallon on the fuel that I didn't need to buy at my destination.

4 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Large tanks come in handy for round trips to destinations that have no fuel or expensive fuel. On my trip to Utah this weak end I will top off at 100 gallons before I leave and take on my 10 gallon minimum to wave the ramp fee saving over $2 a gallon on the fuel that I didn't need to buy at my destination.

Or you wanna haul around your own $3.20 Fuel.....LoL

05C45FFC-2647-4848-AB2D-6DBC4F4A7EC7.jpeg

• Like 2