Ovation pilots, can you flight plan a trip for me?

cujet

I'm considering upgrading into an earlier Ovation or a 305 Rocket. I'd like to see what a real world flight plan looks like from SWF to F45. (NY to South FL) 

From a practical point of view, I need O2 at altitudes lower than the normal person might, , with true need starting at about 10,500, and by 18,000, I'm on a mask at 100% oxygen flow just to maintain 97%-98% O2 sat. So while the 305 Rocket is really tempting, I cannot use it's full speed potential. At the altitudes I'd fly, the Rocket may be limited to 205Kts or so. 

I've flown the 305 Rocket, but not the Ovation. So, I'd really like to see what a real world trip would look like. 

Thanks. 

I’d be flying by myself on a leg this long. My copilots preference is 2 hour legs but I’m trying to work her up to closer to 3 hour flights. That’s about all I like to do too though. 

This is my personal Ovation record...

0cfaa8c5797f283c98a56e0fefbef087.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Somewhere around here I posted MooneySummit to 39N (Middle of NJ) non-stop.

Typical numbers I use... 175 and 165 ground speed... the higher one is ROP, lower LOP... 10 to 12k’

FF 12.5 to 15.0 gph...

These are O1 Numbers with the original 280 engine...

Go for the 310hp version... cruise with a TopProp at 2550rpm... Go a little faster than the original.... T/O and climb are a hoot....

Best regards,

-a-

59 minutes ago, cujet said:

I'm considering upgrading into an earlier Ovation or a 305 Rocket. I'd like to see what a real world flight plan looks like from SWF to F45. (NY to South FL) 

From a practical point of view, I need O2 at altitudes lower than the normal person might, , with true need starting at about 10,500, and by 18,000, I'm on a mask at 100% oxygen flow just to maintain 97%-98% O2 sat. So while the 305 Rocket is really tempting, I cannot use it's full speed potential. At the altitudes I'd fly, the Rocket may be limited to 205Kts or so. 

I've flown the 305 Rocket, but not the Ovation. So, I'd really like to see what a real world trip would look like. 

Drop me a PM.  If you're located at KSWF, I can fly up and meet with you and take you for a hop in my Ovation, and then chat about flight planning and trips.  Some good info here, so we can start with that.

Steve

• Like 2

want to invite some Rocket guys to the party?

Avid MSers enjoy their Rocket Engineering enhanced birds...  Including the...

• Missiles
  • Rockets
  • O3 powered O1s (Standing Ovations, Screemin’ Eagles)
  • P46Ts

The big difference in the choices are three fold...

• Rockets are excellent travel machines in the FLs
  • O1s are great, without the need for O2
  • UL for the Long Body is a bit better than the Rocket

Want to see a new Rocket? (it looks super new) Erik has pictures in his collection.

If you have a chance to speak with Steven757L, as invited above... He has great knowledge of the O’s intimate details... that would make for a great visit/conversation...

Best regards,

-a-

This trip would be pretty easily doable with an Ovation that has Monroy tanks. I plane for around 182 knots at 16 gallons per hour, so it could be possible
with the 100G tanks, but monroy tanks would make the trip without any questions. Id recommend a 1999 to 2004 Ovation, preferably with FIKI or tks since the
weather isn't the greatest during the winter days. I think I could still do it in the screaming eagle, with the 100gallon tanks on any decent day.

I'd also advise against the Rocket. you've made it clear to yourself that physically, you can borderline touch the area where the rocket likes to be, but can't actually get to that area. The ovation is meant to fly anywhere from 8 to 14 thousand feet and it'll be happy in that range, and when needed can fly higher. I also doubt the rocket will have the range. With the 100 gallon tanks, they can usually fly around 5 hours.

standard O tanks... 100gallons...

standard Eagle tanks... can get to 100gallons... with some simple modification of the part that gets in the way...

Mr. Monroy can get your Long Body mistress up to 130gallons if you really want to go the distance...

If you still can’t tell which plane is best for your mission.... Rocket vs. O...

Go Acclaim! 310hp all the way to the FLs... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I fly an ovation with the 310 Hp Stc and fiki   The fiki knocks my airspeed down to 170k. The mountain high pulse oxygen unit is a must   I use the headset boom cannula and always use o2 above 5k. The pulse unit turns on automatically so I set it up prior to departure. 

• Like 1

Based on today's winds, using a route that keeps you over land and inside the ADIZ, I showed 995nm and a total trip time of about 6:15, which included an average 10knot headwind.  Fuel burn was between 85 and 89 gallons, so not realistically a non-stopper in an Ovation (in my opinion) due to fuel reserves (and size of my bladder!).  But for planning purposes, I fly an O3-310hp bird and expect to get 175 KTAS at LOP settings.  In cruise altitudes from 8500-12,000 this generally works out to 13.5gph in the lower range, and about 12.5gph in the upper range. A lot depends on actual conditions, of course, but those are about where I come in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, glenn reynolds said:

I fly an ovation with the 310 Hp Stc and fiki   The fiki knocks my airspeed down to 170k. The mountain high pulse oxygen unit is a must   I use the headset boom cannula and always use o2 above 5k. The pulse unit turns on automatically so I set it up prior to departure. 

This is exactly my situation. Except for the boom cannula. I didn’t like it.

I have a 310hp O2 with TKS.  I flight plan for 170 kts.  I can go faster but it burns a lot more fuel.  This trip would require a fuel stop for me.  At cruise altitudes of 6-10k, I think you are splitting hairs on which plane is faster.  Get the one in better condition that you like the best.

While I have on board oxygen, a trip this long would typically include bringing the dog so I do not fly that high.  That made the Ovation make more sense for us than a turbo charged engine.  I still have plenty of power to get up there though if I want to.  If I lived out west or was regularly climbing to flight levels I might think differently about the turbo but I don't do that.  The TKS is far more valuable for me.  Without it, you often won't be able to get up to the flight levels here and half the time with the winds you don't want to be there westbound anyway.

Edited by hypertech

(At your request, Anthony)—My Rocket (Engineering P46T) will barely make it nonstop into light head winds. Just under 4 hours, about 120 gallons used.  Close to half of the flight is over the ocean, too.  But the cabin is around 7,000’ so probably no mask for the OP.  

2C289A51-CDCA-48C6-BD11-3349A5B0DC01.jpeg.5cef81791ce6d253b6972870f159cbc0.jpeg

That fuel calculation is assuming you can get a climb direct to FL250 out of NY center.  Which happens about as often as the Red Sox win the series.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

(At your request, Anthony)—My Rocket (Engineering P46T) will barely make it nonstop into light head winds. Just under 4 hours, about 120 gallons used.  Close to half of the flight is over the ocean, too.  But the cabin is around 7,000’ so probably no mask for the OP.  

2C289A51-CDCA-48C6-BD11-3349A5B0DC01.jpeg.5cef81791ce6d253b6972870f159cbc0.jpeg

That fuel calculation is assuming you can get a climb direct to FL250 out of NY center.  Which happens about as often as the Red Sox win the series.

3:54 with a headwind! I hate you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2019 at 9:33 PM, mike_elliott said:

I flew a g1000 O3 from State College, Pa to kfxe a few months ago non stop. 8k, 185 TAS. A nice  plane for your mission

Mike, what altitude and fuel burn were you at?  I only get 185 TAS at around 3k and 20g/hr.  I'm more used to 175 TAS at normal Ovation cruise altitudes and ROP.