Pre-201 Value Guide is ready

Hello Mooney Friends. I just completed 23 pages of value information for those shopping, considering selling or just interested in the values of the Mooney Pre-201 models. I plan on moving to other models soon but at the rate I am going, it may be a little while. But look for M20J and M20K in the not too distant future.

I am not charging for the guide but I do ask for some contact info in advance of sending it out in PDF form. If you would like a copy, please email me at jimmy @ allamericanaircraft dot com and let me know you would like a copy. I keep some fairly extensive databases at All American and the info I would like is:

Name

Email address

Phone contact

If Owner, The tail number

Reason for requesting guide: i.e. Planning on Buying, Planning on Selling, May sell one day, I'm just a Mooney Junkie and need a fix, etc...

There are some other requests within the Guide itself, but the info above helps me keep up with some of the goings on in the market.

Also, I just finished it up this morning after working on it all night (literally) last night. So once you guys get it, I am open to hearing critique in either form or substance. It won't hurt my feelings. Also let me know if I have missed anything. I am sure I have.

Email me and I will try to get back with you as soon as possible.

Thanks, Jimmy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I just spent the last hour reading through @jgarrison's guide. All 23 single spaced pages. It is spot on and must reading for owners of these vintage Mooneys. Even just the first few pages, before getting to any numbers, will answer so many questions about the different models, years, equipment, upgrades, etc. I've answered, it seems like a million questions here on MooneySpace about the differences between various Mooney models. Jimmy has it all detailed right here, very clear, and very well organized. Much better than I've ever done.

I tend to be very critical of Mooneys we see come up for sale based on the either the asking price or the lack of upgrade, lack of use, etc. I think I follow the market pretty closely and have a feel for what various Mooneys are actually selling for.

I can't find anywhere to disagree with Jimmy's valuation of the pre-201's. This guide is extremely detailed and full of excellent information. Every Mooney, even our "forever" birds, is for sale at some point. So it makes sense to know the market and have some consideration of the market when spending money on our airplanes. If you own a pre-201 Mooney, you should have a copy of this guide in your possession. And read it. 

I'm looking forward to your guide for the K's. 231 through Encore.

• Like 1

Pretty close to what I had estimated my plane to be.  Jimmy's method has mine at about $84k, and I have it insured for what I figured replacement cost would be; $80k.

I don't know if someone would buy at F in that range though.  It seems that the top end for F.

Thanks for sending a copy of the value guide, Jimmy. An excellent rundown on the early models.

I do have one question- there was no mention of additional value for having converted to bladders, or for a recent tank reseal....do either of these two items come into play when you estimate value, or do they really only affect “saleability”?

@jgarrison, Jimmy thanks for the new value guide! It's great and makes a lot of sense.

I ran my plane through the worksheet... I really, really like it. Now, when I am ready to quit, or Nancy is disposing of my big boy toys, we'll just have to find a buyer, and possibly a lender who admires your work as much as I do. :D

• Like 1

how about a post 1977 value guide.

We paid 500$ for some expert to tell us our 1977 201, new paint, factory 100hr roller cam A3B6 engine, GTN750/GTX345R/Sandel/GPSS 2-axis AP,  airplane is only worth 90K.

Edited by jetdriven

10 hours ago, jetdriven said:

We paid 500$ for some expert to tell us our 1977 201, new paint, factory 100hr roller cam A3B6 engine, GTN750/GTX345R/Sandel/GPSS 2-axis AP,  airplane is only worth 90K.

Byron, get Jimmy's new worksheet if you haven't yet and use it. Pretend you have a '76F knowing your '77J will be several thousand higher. 

I was impressed at where my old E came out. I too have new paint, GTN 750, 2 axis auto pilot w alt hld, all of which Jimmy's work gives significant value to. As it should.

Byron, get Jimmy's new worksheet if you haven't yet and use it. Pretend you have a '76F knowing your '77J will be several thousand higher. 
I was impressed at where my old E came out. I too have new paint, GTN 750, 2 axis auto pilot w alt hld, all of which Jimmy's work gives significant value to. As it should.

I asked Jimmy to send it to me as well. How did it compare to the other VRef calculators? As you know I’m still in line for David’s Sabrecowl. Did that get factored in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I asked Jimmy to send it to me as well. How did it compare to the other VRef calculators? As you know I’m still in line for David’s Sabrecowl. Did that get factored in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy talks a good bit about VRef and BB. You may remember his earlier posts and frustration with the sometimes illogical values that are taken as gospel by lenders.

Jimmy discusses cowl closures - ARI, LoPresti etc. and assigns significant value to them. I'll let you see what to does as to value since he very reasonably wants folks to get the info from him directly in exchange for helping him add to his contact list. He does not mention SabreCowl specifically - as you know there are only 4 completed , all under field approvals. But what he says about LoPresti has application. Matt's F did change hands, what value the buyer and the seller may have given the cowl would be interesting to me and I'm sure to Jimmy if it could be isolated.

tag: @jgarrison

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, PilotCoyote said:

Thanks for sending a copy of the value guide, Jimmy. An excellent rundown on the early models.

I do have one question- there was no mention of additional value for having converted to bladders, or for a recent tank reseal....do either of these two items come into play when you estimate value, or do they really only affect “saleability”?

•  

It will be covered in the addendum that will be out in a week or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, jgarrison said:

Expert?

J. Michael Lea. Lone star jet.  FWIW I think his valuation is fantasy. His website says he uses NAAA values, however they are out of business. So I think he just plugs numbers into Vref,  but you can do for free.  Appraisal just has 90,000 with radios and 60,000 without. Where are you going to find a 100 our factory engine J model with new paint for 60,000?  

http://www.mikelea.com/appraisals.htm

On 1/18/2019 at 10:56 PM, jetdriven said:

He covers the what if I spend $100K upgrading a C model in the report does that make it worth $150k in the report. 

11 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Jimmy,

AOA worth enough to include?

CiES fuel level sensors?They're getting popular among MSers.

I don't think so. Send me an email and I will include it in the addendum. Short answer is that so few understand what it is that there will not be a great 'Oohhh;' factor that will lead to extra value. There are a handful of upgrades that are the same. Add some marketing pizzaz but they don't bump the marketable value of the plane.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, M20F said:

He covers the what if I spend $100K upgrading a C model in the report does that make it worth $150k in the report. 

Pretty sure that his beef is that the plane is worth more than $90,000 (I 100% agree) but that a 'professional' appraiser charged him $500 for a worthless piece of paper that valued the plane well below marketable value. I have done several appraisals (although I call them Market assessments) in the past year for under $300 each and I can guarantee they were way more accurate than what you will get from a NAAA appraiser. And that, my friends, is why I started this project in the first place...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jgarrison said:

Pretty sure that his beef is that the plane is worth more than $90,000 (I 100% agree) but that a 'professional' appraiser charged him $500 for a worthless piece of paper that valued the plane well below marketable value. I have done several appraisals (although I call them Market assessments) in the past year for under $300 each and I can guarantee they were way more accurate than what you will get from a NAAA appraiser. And that, my friends, is why I started this project in the first place...

I have seen appraisals that haves been all over the place, makes me wonder what standards they are actually using. Looking thru your guide you seemed to have nailed the values for the Pre 201 Mooney's.  

• Like 1