Talk to me about Audio Panels . . .

Seth

Alright, my 2019 or 2020 deal at Oshkosh or another time may be an audio panel upgrade.  It may also be a Garmin 430W trade in and audio panel upgrade.  It may be more (replacement of KX-165 if the faceplate keeps getting worse). 

Aircraft:  1983 Mooney M20J Missile 300

Equipment:  King Auto Pilot, Garmin 430W, GTX345 Transponder, KX165 COM/NAV 2, Aera 660 panel mounted screen receiving flow from 430W AND traffic/weather from GTX 345.  Aera 660 also has emergency AHRS page.  Normal steam six pack.  

So audio panels:  I have a King KMA24 from the factory.  I have a separate signtronics intercom.

On the shelf I have a used Garmin GMA340.  I was going to install this at some point, but I have recently flown with a Garmin GMA350 or whatever is in the 2018 Cirrus aircraft and really liked it (I also liked the playback feature so I can check back and see what a controller said).  So now I'm thinking of buying that instead or doing a PS Engineering job.

-I know a swap of the KMA24 for the GMA340 does not work.  You'd have to add wiring, change tray, probably replace wiring. 

-I know there's a drop in same tray version of a PS Engineering system where you add new wiring that would replace the KMA24 and give me an intercom in one unit.  

-I don't like the idea of doing two jobs, but maybe I replace the slide in option, do the wiring for the itercom hook up, and then wait until I do my larger job at some point in the future.

The idea was to have close to an all Garmin panel even though I do like outside technology.  I went with a GTX345 as the base of my system instead of the Lynx, even though the Lynx has a real display.  I plan to get a Garmin 750 in the end to replace my 430 (trade in at some point or private sale).  For my #2 NAV/Com, I'll do something, haven't decided what yet.

That's why I was thinking Garmin 340 audio panel which is just sitting on my shelf at home.  But after use of the 350, well, I'm not going to put the 340 in.  So . . . PS Engineer, Garmin 350, do something in between, I'm still a few year out from the 750.

For the big job I'll rewire everything.  For this smaller one, I may not unless you convince me to do so.

My sigtronics intercom can be touchy - it can sometimes cause some unwanted sounds if touched wrong.  Sometimes the buttons on the KMA24 can cause static.  It's fine for now, but they have both served the plane well it's entire life and my 7 years of ownership.  Will do something at some point and I want to come up with a plan A, B, and C.  It may be do nothing until the big job.

So give me ideas, spend my money for me, and help confuse me so in the end I make a good decision.

-Seth

8 minutes ago, Seth said:

-I know there's a drop in same tray version of a PS Engineering system where you add new wiring that would replace the KMA24 and give me an intercom in one unit.

The PMA7000 is compatible with the KMA24 molex connector. You have to exchange the tray and add a second molex connector with all the intercom wiring. I have the PMA7000 in combination with GNS430W and SL60 and like sound quality and functionality very much. 

• Like 2

If you plan on doing a 750 I'd do the GMA35, which is a remote audio panel that's displays the options on the GTN750. Personally I like that as it cleans up the panel very nicely.

If i were upgrading the center panel, which is scheduled for next year for me, I would do:
GTN 750
GNC255
GMA35C, which includes bluetooth
GTX345R

You already have the panel mounted transponder so still with the 345 instead of the 345R

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seth said:

Alright, my 2019 or 2020 deal at Oshkosh or another time may be an audio panel upgrade.  It may also be a Garmin 430W trade in and audio panel upgrade. On the shelf I have a used Garmin GMA340. 

Trade the 430W for an Avidyne 440, easy swap out. $4,845. https://avionicssource.com/product/ifd440-upgrade-430w

Trade the 340 for a PMA450B, the best audio panel on the market, bar none. $1,725. https://avionicssource.com/product/ps-pma450b-upgrade

That's $6,570. You'll need to add a wire on the 440 to get audio out and have the 450B installed so I'm guessing $7,500 should do it.

I just swapped the 430W that came in the Bonanza for an Avidyne 440 yesterday and I just ordered a 450B from Chase @Avionics Source today :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have the GMA-350C.  I like it a lot.  The spatial sound is a neat feature, push to command is cool (though I don't use it much as I haven't made it a habit yet) it has all the features I wanted like BT out for recording comms, it has plenty of inputs, etc.  I have a GTN-650.  Part of me wishes I'd gone with the GTN-750 and GMA35 for the integration, but there are a handful of features you lose going with the remote (behind the 750) 35 vs the 350, and somewhere in the back of my mind I didn't feel totally comfortable losing my audio panel if I had an issue with the 750, or possibly being forced into an upgrade if I swapped the 750 for something in the future.  The GTX-345R was easier to go with because you don't lose any features and the 650 integrated controls are actually a bit easier to use IMO.  I think my perfect practical radio stack would be the GMA350, GTN750, and GNC255, with the GTX345R.  I don't think it is worth it for me to upgrade the 650 to a 750 and I think having both a 650 and a 750 is outrageous overkill and the money would be better spent on an MT propeller and a Kevlar Oxygen bottle.  So I'll probably, in reality, end up with the GMA350C, GTN650, GTX345R (all of which I already have) and just replace the ancient, failing King secondary stuff with a GNC255, probably about the same time Garmin supports wiring a secondary NAV into certified G5 installs.  Next upgrade is a GFC500...

tl;dr The GMA-350 is great, definitely play with one, it might not hurt to go with the physical 350 rather than the remote 35 even if you end up going with a 750.  It has the advantage that it gives you the option to decide a 650 is adequate since you use your iPad/decide to splurge on a G500TXi/the G3 becomes available for certified and you don't really need the screen real estate on the GPS after all.  For reference, I am pretty sure the annunciator panel, GMA-350, GTN750, and GTN650 will all fit vertically stacked in a Mooney radio stack, possibly even with a small amount of room to spare.

+1 for the PMA450B.

It has ALL the bells and whistles. My passengers specifically like the isolate features, karaoke mode, etc. I like the playback features. But the best part is just the unbelievable sound quality. Everyone who rides in my airplane comments about how quiet it is and how good the sound quality is over the intercom and radio. The bluetooth is also really good. Bluetooth can be frustrating when it doesn't connect, or drops a connection. I've never had any such issue with my PMA 450a. I've been talking on the phone during a full power take off, iPhone - Bluetooth - PMA450a - QT Halo headset. The person on the other end of the line thought I was sitting in my office.

• Like 1

+1 for the PMA450B.
It has ALL the bells and whistles. My passengers specifically like the isolate features, karaoke mode, etc. I like the playback features. But the best part is just the unbelievable sound quality. Everyone who rides in my airplane comments about how quiet it is and how good the sound quality is over the intercom and radio. The bluetooth is also really good. Bluetooth can be frustrating when it doesn't connect, or drops a connection. I've never had any such issue with my PMA 450a. I've been talking on the phone during a full power take off, iPhone - Bluetooth - PMA450a - QT Halo headset. The person on the other end of the line thought I was sitting in my office.

That’s been my experience as well. Can’t wait to see what new features they add in the next version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I upgraded from my KMA 24 to the PMA450B and could not believe the improvement. One of my favorite features with the "B" version is the 2 Bluetooth channels. Seems like such a small thing, but it gives so many more options.

I saw it at last years SNF and compared it with the GMA350. My avionics guy pointed out I would have to wait on the PMA to start shipping, but I was fine with it. Better to wait a couple of weeks and be happy than go with the quicker second choice.

Just installed a PMA 8000G  great audio panel, much better than the kma20 it replaced.

Personally, i'd install the 340 you have, then swap it for one of the drop in replacements some time in the future.

Directional audio, Bluetooth, charging port, audio playback is great but honestly I forget I have the features 90% of the time.

• Like 1

I have the original PMA 450, and I've really grown to love it.  It was a replacement for a KMA24.  The 450A included a copilot as passenger feature which I miss having on mine.  It lets the copilot listen to music and not be interrupted by ATC calls.  My wife usually puts ours on ISO so she can listen to her phone, but it cuts me off intercom with her.  Of course, she probably sees it as win-win for her.  :D

• Like 1