What's this called ?

Airways

What kind of material is it?  Metal or rubber?

Rubber has a tendency to age poorly in under cowl conditions...

So if it is tearing or falling apart, the rest of the part isn’t far behind...

If it is rubbing on something, or being heated by nearby exhaust parts, then a repair and remedy can be found...

Rubber enemies...

• heat
  • abrasion
  • UV light
  • Oxygen/ozone
  • Getting squeezed, cold flow...

If it is a Mooney specific part, your MSC should be able to get it... Lasar.com....

If it is a typical hose, there may be standards that can be used.... We have a supplier of hose and seals around here for that type of work... 

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic .

Best regards,

-a-

The air filter assembly in my 252 Encore rubs against the lower cowl. I asked my MSC about this and they said it is very common, and not much can be done. There is just not enough clearance. On other aircraft they have cut off a piece and welded a patch. Mine is not that bad. I have been maintaining it with anti-chafe tape. A piece on the fair filter box and a piece on the lower cowl. I replace them at each oil change. I also replaced the snubbers on the lower front engine mount that keep the cowl from riding up. That gives more clearance between the air filter and lower cowl.

In the 18 months that I have owned my Encore, I have found 3 recurring trouble spots. One is the front exhaust cross over heat shield, which is prone to cracking. The next is the inter-cooler mount which is prone to cracking. And the third is this, the air filter rubbing against the lower cowl.

Larry

9 hours ago, Airways said:

How would you describe the part that is in the yellow circle ?  It needs replacing and I wonder if I can search for it on the used parts market.  I know it houses an airfilter but I wonder how the metallic housing is called.  Acft is a 252.

eng_part kopie.png

I'm glad you asked.  That is a Turbo Encabulator.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjv1L-HkfHfAhXwRt8KHbC7BwYQwqsBMAB6BAgDEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAc7G7xOG2Ag&usg=AOvVaw2fgJikev-sbCrgwuvTTX_N

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, larryb said:

The air filter assembly in my 252 Encore rubs against the lower cowl. I asked my MSC about this and they said it is very common, and not much can be done. There is just not enough clearance. On other aircraft they have cut off a piece and welded a patch. Mine is not that bad. I have been maintaining it with anti-chafe tape. A piece on the fair filter box and a piece on the lower cowl. I replace them at each oil change. I also replaced the snubbers on the lower front engine mount that keep the cowl from riding up. That gives more clearance between the air filter and lower cowl.

In the 18 months that I have owned my Encore, I have found 3 recurring trouble spots. One is the front exhaust cross over heat shield, which is prone to cracking. The next is the inter-cooler mount which is prone to cracking. And the third is this, the air filter rubbing against the lower cowl.

Larry

I have two of those issues on my Encore:

-air filter box rubbing (not bad, but I like the anti-chaffe tape)

-cross exhaust heat shield breaking.

I am just 12 months into this Encore but owned another 232 before this one.

@larrybIn the 18 months that I have owned my Encore, I have found 3 recurring trouble spots. One is the front exhaust cross over heat shield, which is prone to cracking. The next is the inter-cooler mount which is prone to cracking. And the third is this, the air filter rubbing against the lower cowl.

I have experienced the same issue on the crossover tube a couple of times.  My solution so far:

Start with new brackets or standoff’s.  Not repaired, welded, or high life cycled pieces. Use a die grinder or Dremial tool and relieve all the edges on the standoff that is riveted to the shield.  The manner in which it  is stamped and bent creates numerous sharp edges and stress risers.   Grinding or rounding the edges helps relieve the stress and their potential to crack.  Follow the service manual guidance on the two clamps that secure the shield.    One needs to be tightened more than the other.  Lastly, I scrutinize this area everyoil change.  

Bill

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Airways,

If you can... See if you can post a few good pics of what broke up...

That will probably be helpful to a few people/252ers.

Best regards,

-a-

I’ll make some pictures the next time I visit the shop.  Should happen as soon as the spare parts are in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 12:26 AM, carusoam said:

Airways,

If you can... See if you can post a few good pics of what broke up...

That will probably be helpful to a few people/252ers.

Best regards,

-a-

There you go. You can see that the filter has been repaired in the past.  These spare parts are getting rare ! Thank you Lasar 

3435D1BC-1CF6-46C9-A95C-6D7CA79FEA04.jpeg

D9AC2C07-CCF6-4AD5-8B2A-5EACD1AE65AD.jpeg

• Like 1

Great pics, Airways!

Looks like that piece is feeling the strain...

Look to see if there is supposed to be supports for the big aluminum housing and the hose that connects on that end...

the pic shows that there may be a better way to hold the connection together.  Mostly because there wasn’t 200 other people saying this happened to me too.... 

It is a tough vibrating environment where that part lives.  Your mechanic may find a better way to keep stress from being applied to that connection....

The slots that initially ended with a round hole, seem to not have held back cracks and their propagation...  looks like a tear ran all the way to the weld and continued on from there...

Thanks for sharing the pics!  They really tell a story of what is happening and give a hint to what to look for for other owners...  any cracks emanating beyond the round hole will want to propagate until stopped...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1