How Reliable is JPI EDM900?

Gary0747

• 11 months later...

New JPI 900 installed in M20R,  two short test flights after installation.  Screen went dark approx 1.3 hrs into six state cross country delivery flight.  Mechanic checked, 24 volts at pin, J.P. Instr.  said send back.  Plane grounded for another two weeks or so as 900 was primary.  Guess you can say 0-1 cross country flights.  Problem, when instrument goes blank, lose everything,  not good after OEM gauges  (fuel, cyl temp, mp, rpm) removed/space.   Sure hope I'll experience excellent reliability beginning with the second trip!

• Sad 3

I have a 930 that was installed circa 2009.  I have about 1000 hours on it and absolutely no problems, except when I sent it in to get it to work with my new CiES sensors. It looks like a replacement unit, not my old unit rebuilt. The replacement has an autodim circuit, and it would dim completely to black at sunset.  I could not find a way to recover it. We sent it back to JPI and it is better, it autodims to a very dark setting but it is possible to bring it back with the BRT function. The second time back they failed to put in the existing engine times.  These are inconsequential problems and my plan is to have it pulled at annual and corrected.  Other than this, I have not had a single problem with the 930. There have been minor problems with sensors, one EGT probe was installed incorrectly as I recall, but that was more than ten years ago.  The waterwheel wore out and had to be replaced last year.  I would be happy if everything else in my aircraft was as reliable. And on the other hand, it has been an absolutely brilliant addition to the panel.  All the factory stripped gauges spread all over the panel were replaced by one readout which fit in the pilot side of the panel, so I have everything in front of me.  That has saved my bacon and my engine more than once.

This is why I went with 830.  I’ve had two problems with it but was able to continue on. One was firmware crash and brick, the other was intermittent screen.       I also fly behind a 960 and it had problems twice which grounded the plane.  One screen related, one bad ground related.      If I ever buy another edm, it probably wouldn’t be jpi.  

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1

My 900 has been in for about two years, and zero issues with it.   I deleted everything it replaced except the cable-driven tach, which I still use for my maintenance records, etc.  I find myself using the mechanical tach for runup and approach settings, but otherwise just use the 900 for everything.   It talks to my IFD540 as well for OAT and Fuel Flow, which is nice for the computations pages.

Edited by EricJ

My 930 has been flawless for 6 years and 600 hours.  It’s a pain to send it in for firmware or tach times, etc, but the unit has been great.

However, I’ve now hosed myself as I just got it back from firmware update and am about to fly it first time.  It better not have to go back for 2 weeks!

• Like 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I've checked mine several times while in cruise, LOP. Using the formula (gph X 13.7 / 210) = hp% my EDM is spot on every time.

What’s the horsepower constant set to.  Mine is set to the max of 300, and it’s still showing too high %.  

1 hour ago, thomas1142 said:

Just had my first flight with the EDM 900, I love it. One issue, MP fluctuated from 22.5 to 23.8. Any ideas?

Snubber.

Thats a relatively common issue.  Something like a “water hammer”.  Pressure fluctuations at the electric pressure sensor.  Mine does the same.  It was worse, maybe a 1.0 fluctuation.  I just had it updated and the firmware helps.  Now it is about 0.5.  Supposedly you can call jpi and they have some kind of a “snubber” that attaches before the sensor and fixes the problem.  

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 1:13 AM, carusoam said:

Delivery... as in trip to new owner’s hangar?

We have seen a couple of JPI screen challenges, but black-out wasn’t one of them...

Good luck with the next steps.

Let us know what you find out...

Best regards,

-a-

Delivery as in MN to VA.  Will advise after JPI determines issue

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

After 8 years or so of ownership, my EDM 900 has failed. Not the display itself, but it doesn't "boot up" after powering on. The JPI logo shows up for a few seconds then the whole thing shuts down. I guess the plane is grounded. Will have to send the unit back to JPI I guess and see how much they charge to get it fixed.

37 minutes ago, wishboneash said:

After 8 years or so of ownership, my EDM 900 has failed. Not the display itself, but it doesn't "boot up" after powering on. The JPI logo shows up for a few seconds then the whole thing shuts down. I guess the plane is grounded. Will have to send the unit back to JPI I guess and see how much they charge to get it fixed.

Exposed to any "shocks" like extreme temperature, over-voltage, water, other?  I don't have one, but I would have expected them to be nearly bulletproof.

25 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Exposed to any "shocks" like extreme temperature, over-voltage, water, other?  I don't have one, but I would have expected them to be nearly bulletproof.

No, I don't believe so, it isn't too hot yet here and battery/charging system all fine. It won't go past the splash screen, so I am guessing some hardware/software issue that perhaps failed some initial checks.