How Reliable is JPI EDM900?

Gary0747

Flyer99,

Compare MVP notes with Don K...

What are your biggest challenges with your MVP?

Just Wondering if there is a collection of important details for MVP owners...

There are so few in the wild at MS.

These devices have so many complexities associated with them.  installations add to the variation. As do installers...

I haven’t pulled the trigger on a new one yet...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/13/2019 at 11:13 PM, ArtVandelay said:

No.

Tom

Actually, that is not the case.  If interested in trading in your existing JPI, or other manufacture's engine monitor and installing our CGR-30P, we can absolutely use the existing probes and harnesses and we'll even build an adapter cable to save quite a bit of labor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

Actually, that is not the case.  If interested in trading in your existing JPI, or other manufacture's engine monitor and installing our CGR-30P, we can absolutely use the existing probes and harnesses and we'll even build an adapter cable to save quite a bit of labor.

Going from a JPI EDM 700 how much to build the adaptor cable to work with an MVP50?

When you say “trade in” is there a rebate offered if we do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rumor has it, and I've got it on pretty good authority that a rebate will be offered, beginning this Friday.  $1000.00 on a CGR-30-COMBO package, $1200.00 on a CGR-30-COMBO Upgrade pacakge (trading in your existing monitor) and $500.00 on the MVP-50.  While we do not have an upgrade package for the MVP-50, anyone interested can PM me and we can discuss options as to not hijack this thread.  

• Like 1

Not for the 900 (or any certified engine monitor) which is what this thread is about, you have to use probes with specific part numbers.

Tom

17 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

Rumor has it, and I've got it on pretty good authority that a rebate will be offered, beginning this Friday.  $1000.00 on a CGR-30-COMBO package, $1200.00 on a CGR-30-COMBO Upgrade pacakge (trading in your existing monitor) and $500.00 on the MVP-50.  While we do not have an upgrade package for the MVP-50, anyone interested can PM me and we can discuss options as to not hijack this thread.  

any discounts on doing the MVP-50 upgrade?
Brian

On 1/13/2019 at 10:39 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Can I use anything JPI that I currently have if I go to the EI product?

I apologize for any confusion as the above question is what I was answering.  If installing EI equipment, the JPI EGT/CHT probes and wiring can be used as our STC does not call out specific part numbers.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my most recent JPI 900 issue - the display. Sent the unit for service and delivered to them on January 17th. Heard nothing from them for several days, so I called. Told me the unit needed a new display. A display that I had replaced under warranty back in late 2016. Told me the price would be $550.

The “you got to be kidding me!” comment came out. She said she would speak to the service manager and get back to me. Heard nothing for a a couple of days, so I called back.

She told me they would cover the cost of the repair and I would just need to pay for shipping. I thought that was fair. Never saw a charge on my credit card, nor did I see anything show up.

Received a call from them yesterday saying they were covering everything under warranty, including shipping. The unit is supposed to arrive today.

Disappointed the unit failed again, but happy that JPI stepped up to the plate on this.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Just a quick update on my most recent JPI 900 issue - the display. Sent the unit for service and delivered to them on January 17th. Heard nothing from them for several days, so I called. Told me the unit needed a new display. A display that I had replaced under warranty back in late 2016. Told me the price would be $550.

The “you got to be kidding me!” comment came out. She said she would speak to the service manager and get back to me. Heard nothing for a a couple of days, so I called back.

She told me they would cover the cost of the repair and I would just need to pay for shipping. I thought that was fair. Never saw a charge on my credit card, nor did I see anything show up.

Received a call from them yesterday saying they were covering everything under warranty, including shipping. The unit is supposed to arrive today.

Disappointed the unit failed again, but happy that JPI stepped up to the plate on this.

do you think it's bad luck or an issue with the display itself?  Are they using the same display supplier?

35 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I’m sorry but this is being forced into the batters box not stepping up to the plate. I still like my 900 but I’m seriously looking at the Garmin system. 

• Like 1

do you think it's bad luck or an issue with the display itself?  Are they using the same display supplier?

I can tell you that the display failure was the exact same failure both times. Clear line across the screen with the display above the line missing pixels.

Reminder...

If selling faulty electrical bits is part of the business plan...

Don’t send the faulty ones to the electrical engineers... they catch on too quickly... :)

Go MS!

Now the other engineers know what to look for... and how to respond to the ‘that’s going to be another 1/2 an amu...’ statement.

Thanks for sharing the details.

Best regards and Go MS!

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Reminder...

If selling faulty electrical bits is part of the business plan...

Don’t send the faulty ones to the electrical engineers... they catch on too quickly... :)

Go MS!

Now the other engineers know what to look for... and how to respond to the ‘that’s going to be another 1/2 an amu...’ statement.

Thanks for sharing the details.

Best regards and Go MS!

-a-

By accusing vendors that their bisiness plan is selling faulty electronics, you are doing a major disservice to your fellow mooneyspacers. JPI as well as EI make excellent quality engine monitors. Neither one of them would knowingly sell faulty equipment. It's electronics! I've had an EDM for ten years now almost 900 hours and it's been solid. Not one issue. I'm sure many EI owners can say the same. But if and when an issue arises they both step up and take care of their customers.

Edited by m20kmooney
  • Like 1

By accusing vendors that their bisiness plan is selling faulty electronics, you are doing a major disservice to your fellow mooneyspacers. JPI as well as EI make excellent quality engine monitors. Neither one of them would knowingly sell faulty equipment. It's electronics! I've had an EDM for ten years now almost 900 hours and it's been solid. Not one issue. I'm sure many EI owners can say the same. But if and when an issue arises they both step up and take care of their customers.
I think you took what he said the wrong way. I believe it was a tongue-in-cheek remark more about the customer being highly capable than suggesting all their units were faulty. Hes not saying anyone knowingly sent any faulty unit.

I think it's important to assume good intent on any message knowing that various non spoken aspects of language are hard to portray in text.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 1/13/2019 at 8:24 PM, Gary0747 said:

In reading several of the old threads I see that a number of people have had problems at times that have even required sending their EDM900 units back to the factory.   This being a primary instrument also means their aircraft is out of service.  I am debating the merits of making the leap all the way to the EDM900 when the EDM830 has almost all the functions and is not a required for flight instrument.  I have a working reliable set of primary gauges and am not in a bind for panel space now.  It almost seems like the EDM830 is the safest way to go, plus it is almost half the price.  I would appreciate any experienced advice?  

Gary, in my view the only time I’d consider going for a primary engine monitor would be if I was redoing the panel. Only then would it make some sense to remove the original primary gauges. The beauty of your setup as you point out is that the 830 gives you everything you need. Its advisory status means nothing because its doing everything the 900 would do. I have an older 800 doing exactly the same thing in my panel. I’m waiting a few months for Oshkosh to see what Garmin rolls out. My prediction is they will certify the G3X touch. If so I’ll go for it. But even so I’d be hard pressed to remove my original primary gauge strip. 

Edited by m20kmooney

I wonder if voltage spikes or transients during engine start and voltage regulators getting lined out could be the culprit in taking out the display or other electronics.  I never liked the idea of electronics being on line during the start up. JPI and others have required their units to be wired to be powered on while starting. 

I do not think they will certify their G3X anytime soon. Their new TXi is basically that system for certified aircraft with included engine monitor.

I have had an 830 with steam gauges today and looked hard at their EIS offerings but ultimately decided against in favor for a JPI 930 for my panel re-do. I would have gone with the 900 but my panel layout is going to better align with the 930 sized display. All equipment has been ordered.

• Like 3

I wonder if voltage spikes or transients during engine start and voltage regulators getting lined out could be the culprit in taking out the display or other electronics.  I never liked the idea of electronics being on line during the start up. JPI and others have required their units to be wired to be powered on while starting. 

Modern electronic regulators don’t have this problem, and modern avionics have built in voltage regulator circuits to handle 14-28 volt systems seamlessly. Unless you get struck with lightning you should be good.

Tom
  • Like 1

I flew today with the new display. There is a noticeable difference between the old display and the new display. I suspect the new display is not the same display as the old one. In addition, it looks like a new firmware was added that changed the font sizes. My first clue was the display never reflected when I took a picture of it. This one does.

See what you think...

f6b84b8d8b5a148416a1f858746ad506.jpg

aa8cdd8c31f6d68dd611848e405bf98f.jpg

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I flew today with the new display. There is a noticeable difference between the old display and the new display. I suspect the new display is not the same display as the old one. In addition, it looks like a new firmware was added that changed the font sizes. My first clue was the display never reflected when I took a picture of it. This one does.

See what you think...

f6b84b8d8b5a148416a1f858746ad506.jpg

aa8cdd8c31f6d68dd611848e405bf98f.jpg

Whats that at the bottom of the display left of the "step"?

Also it looks like one of the display lines is missing “W Rem”, the CHT and EGT highlight areas are different colors as is the color of the font and the bars themselves. They also are now showing the low/high ranges for some of the gauges (like the PSI for the fuel pressure).