How Reliable is JPI EDM900?

Gary0747

In reading several of the old threads I see that a number of people have had problems at times that have even required sending their EDM900 units back to the factory.   This being a primary instrument also means their aircraft is out of service.  I am debating the merits of making the leap all the way to the EDM900 when the EDM830 has almost all the functions and is not a required for flight instrument.  I have a working reliable set of primary gauges and am not in a bind for panel space now.  It almost seems like the EDM830 is the safest way to go, plus it is almost half the price.  I would appreciate any experienced advice?  

For primary instruments...

You get your choice...

JPI, EI, or Insight... And Garmin if you are going in deep...

So much is personal preference.

Some of the biggest challenges are alarms at operating redlines.

JPI is the most popular.

EI has the best service. Has a presence here...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

One thing to consider is that with the 830, if one of your older instruments goes out, your aircraft will be down for maintenance as well. They are required equipment without a primary edm. And they are costly to repair.

To be upfront, I argue with myself on this daily. I've decided to go with the 900, just a matter of when and where.

In reading several of the old threads I see that a number of people have had problems at times that have even required sending their EDM900 units back to the factory.   This being a primary instrument also means their aircraft is out of service.  I am debating the merits of making the leap all the way to the EDM900 when the EDM830 has almost all the functions and is not a required for flight instrument.  I have a working reliable set of primary gauges and am not in a bind for panel space now.  It almost seems like the EDM830 is the safest way to go, plus it is almost half the price.  I would appreciate any experienced advice?  

I’m one that has had several JPI 900 issues and have another one that I am about to report (display issue).

If I had to do it again, knowing my experience with the 900, I would have gone with the EI product.

The display problem I am about to report is the second time for the same issue. Look closely at this picture. You can see the display has a line starting at the EGT label and goes completely across the screen.

eb558eb16f1e86fe049e20ea3a8c9773.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have not been impressed with the reliability of the 830. It stopped logging and I did a software update which made the display completely unreadable and rotated 90 degrees as well as resetting all factory settings. After 5 calls and 2 hours with JPI they told me to have my avionics shop pull the unit and send it in.

I was able to eventually fix the problem by myself by ignoring their advice and doing my own troubleshooting but if that had been a 900/930 I would have been grounded for a while. 

I’m sticking with my 830 until something forces me to change. Maybe Garmin will have it figured out by then and I can get a G500Txi, engine monitor and GFC600 (as long as I’m dreaming, why not dream big?).

Perhaps the EDM 700 or 800 is the most reliable way to go even though it is almost 20 yr old technology and actually costs more currently than the EDM 730/830.  I have read of very few problems with them.  I agree with Marauder on EI potentially being more reliable but I just can’t bring myself to having to purchase and install two units to cover all my primary functions 

930 going strong 5+ years ~500 hours.  Knock on wood.

would be nice to be able to do software updates without sending it to California. Otherwise good.  Also I had good customer service when I had a minor issue with my remote display.

• Like 1

EDM900 was a PITA for me at first - I ripped everything else out when I made it primary. In retrospect I might have left another RPM and MP gauge in the plane. It can be disconcerting to not know what your actual rpm is.   An oscillating MAP display is  another hassle I endured. The problems had very easy fixes that were related to the peripheral sensors (not the box itself)  - however subpar customer service made it anything but easy to figure out.  

Don't get me wrong -  I love my EDM900 now that all the bugs are out. It is rock hard reliable.    The monitor itself seems well engineered and manufactured.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

I’m one that has had several JPI 900 issues and have another one that I am about to report (display issue).

If I had to do it again, knowing my experience with the 900, I would have gone with the EI product.

The display problem I am about to report is the second time for the same issue. Look closely at this picture. You can see the display has a line starting at the EGT label and goes completely across the screen.

I have a JPI EDM 700 and was told that I can use my probes and 2 of my complete harnesses if i go to a JPI 900 or 930. Can I use anything JPI that I currently have if I go to the EI product?

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I have a JPI EDM 700 and was told that I can use my probes and 2 of my complete harnesses if i go to a JPI 900 or 930. Can I use anything JPI that I currently have if I go to the EI product?

I was told a lot of people do it but legally it can't be done.

There may be common components but re-wiring the connectors alone would be a nightmare. Unfortunately once you saddled a JPI or EI horse, you’re stuck with the ride.

I've had a 930 for 6 years and and I remain happy overall. The unit has been sent back to JPI 3 times but never because it failed and grounded the plane.

The last time I sent it in was to update the JPI for the CiES digital fuel level sensors. We were installing extended bladders at the same time and doing the annual so the plane was down several weeks. Another time was while trouble shoot an erratic sensor. The 3rd time was to update the firmware, again I chose a time when the plane was down anyway.

I have found JPI tech service to be quite good. Removal or reinstalling the JPI takes about 15 minutes for my installation - the unit comes out the top of the panel. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

Perhaps the EDM 700 or 800 is the most reliable way to go even though it is almost 20 yr old technology and actually costs more currently than the EDM 730/830.  I have read of very few problems with them.  I agree with Marauder on EI potentially being more reliable but I just can’t bring myself to having to purchase and install two units to cover all my primary functions 

The EI MVP-50 is a single unit and covers everything.  

The EI CGR-30P is a single unit and covers everything except fuel quantity from the senders (it does have a totalizer).  

If you have new, calibrated float senders...and want a digital display for them, and want to use EI- you can opt for the MVP-50.

or the CGR-30P and add on a CGR-30C to show fuel quantity from the senders (I believe this is what you are referring to).

I had an EDM-830 in my previous J.  It had problems/bugs which caused the unit to fail a few times over the 4 years I flew it.  I was able to fix an issue (involved red X’s over the rpm and MP) once flashing the software

I have a single CGR-30P in the Missile, and it is primary for RPM, MP, EGT, CHT, FF, OilT, OilP, FuelP and also displays voltage, HP, has multiple fuel related calculation functions.  I have had absolutely zero problems with the unit in the four years since it was installed.  The only original primary gauges I “need” are the fuel quantity indicators- but between the wing float gauges, the original fuel quantity indicators and the fuel totalizer- I feel no need to spend any additional money to get a digital display of fuel quantity from the senders.

I will say this about performance of the egt probes- I believe the probes on the EDM’s are better... or the unit displays the data “faster.”  I think the EGT’s display about a second delayed in the CGR-30P.  Coming from the EDM, which felt instantaneous as far as I remember, it bugged me at first.  I am now used to the slight delay (maybe 1 second) between adjusting mixture and seeing the egt stable at the new value.  

The lean find and rop peak find are almost identical.

I really like the “normalized” feature on the EI units.  I spend 95% of my time running that page.

the remote alarm lights are kind of cool, too- can put them just about anywhere.

My plane came with an EDM-700 that had a failing display when I bought it. Fortunately it was still under warranty, and they fixed it quickly for free.

When I overhauled my engine, I upgraded to the 900 and all new probes/fresh installation. Aside from some initial difficulty finding snubbers and adapters for the MP, I've been very pleased. JPI should include a snubber with their kit, IMO. They were responsive in getting me an update for my tach markings with the MT prop as well (no yellow arc). It has been a great unit for 300+ hours so far. Most importantly, it fits well in a tight Mooney panel and shows everything you need on one screen.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 8:24 PM, Gary0747 said:

545 hours on mine, and no issues.  The high mark of success the 900 and 930 units have enjoyed seems to far outweigh the negative remarks.  If you’re considering the 900 or the 930, find a way to pull the trigger...don’t waste your time or money with anything else.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this before. There are only three engine monitors i'd consider.

1. EI MVP-50 - Money no object, panel space available. The best unit from the best company.
  2. JPI EDM-900 - Limited budget, limited panel space. Do it once and be done, Primary for everything.
  3. Insight G2/G3 - Very limited budget, keeping factory gauges, need only CHT/EGT/FF and data logging. Same price but light years ahead of EDM 700/800 or UGB16.

I've mentioned this before. There are only three engine monitors i'd consider.
  1. EI MVP-50 - Money no object, panel space available. The best unit from the best company.
  2. JPI EDM-900 - Limited budget, limited panel space. Do it once and be done, Primary for everything.
  3. Insight G2/G3 - Very limited budget, keeping factory gauges, need only CHT/EGT/FF and data logging. Same price but light years ahead of EDM 700/800 or UGB16.

You forgot the Insight G4. Unfortunately I don’t think any of the Insight stuff has fuel gauges and have the ability to be primary for a number of functions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 1/13/2019 at 6:43 PM, Gary0747 said:

Worth noting, there is very little additional labor/difficulty installing the companion gauge as you will typically have multiple available locations from removing existing instrumentation as the CGRs fit in an existing 3-1/8" hole and are flush mounted.  Additionally, all of the probes and transducers connect to the EDC and the EDC's RS232 signal can be split to the CGR- 30P and CGR- 30C.  As such, I would guess maybe an extra hour in labor to physically install the gauge and make the power, ground, backlight and RS232 connections.   

Edited by oregon87
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, Marauder said:

eb558eb16f1e86fe049e20ea3a8c9773.jpg

Funny.  Knowing what I know now from owning my MVP50, I’d get a JPI next round. 

Edited by M20kflyer99