Any X-Plane users? Slow graphics problem.

Hi Fred,

I'll take another look at my setup later when I get home to see if there's anything else I can find.

By the way, I'm not affiliated with X-Plane, I just bought version 11 and the Carenado Mooney, same as you.

I had the same issue and adding a livery fixed it, but perhaps I changed some other setting's as well.

I'll let you know.

Mike

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hi Fred,

I'll take another look at my setup later when I get home to see if there's anything else I can find.

By the way, I'm not affiliated with X-Plane, I just bought version 11 and the Carenado Mooney, same as you.

I had the same issue and adding a livery fixed it, but perhaps I changed some other setting's as well.

I'll let you know.

Mike

Thanks- I am guessing that the issue with lack of ability to get the inner knob on the radios or xpdr to turn is related to latency caused by my slow graphix card.  The program has multiple problems when it is waiting on rendering it seems.

Hi Fred,

I checked out my install yesterday and flew the simulator.  When I hover over the throttle, prop, or mixture controls, the icon changes to a "hand" and the scroll wheel will move the control in or out.  If I'm not hovering over a control, the scroll wheel will zoom the screen in and out.  If I hover over something that gives me parentheses, holding down the left button and moving the mouse left or right, up or down will activate it (like the ignition switch).  On the radios, I get a "hand" icon (in which case clicking the left mouse button will push the knob in like on the Garmin GPS's), hovering to the right or left will change to a parenthesis an will allow turning the knob.  Moving slightly more right or left will change to the larger or smaller knobs on the Garmin.  Clicking or moving the mouse while the parenthesis is visible changes frequencies or pages.  I have the CH pro pedals and a Saitek throttle quadrant and yoke.  Without those hooked up, the sim is almost impossible to fly...at least for any sort of practical training purposes.  Here is a review of the hardware  and software I'm running:

Windows version 7 64bit, SP1on an  ASUS X99-A motherboard with a 3.3 GHz Intel i7-5820K CPU and 48 GB of RAM.  Windows Direct X 11.0 is installed.  I'm running an Nvidia  GeForce GTX 465 graphics card with only 1GB of onboard dedicated video RAM and have the Nvidia driver 391.35 installed.

I have version 11.30r3 of X-Plane and the Carenado Mooney Ovation V1.2 installed.

I have all the graphics & rendering options set to a "middle of the road" setting or so.  I checked my frame rate (Ctl-Shift-F) and I'm getting a consistent 25 frames per second.  The way I typically use it is to look outside down the runway for take off.  Then at about 400 AGL, I scroll to a "heads down" in the cockpit view until DH or MDA on approach.  I'm not really using all the nice rendering.

My hardware doesn't seem any better that your's (except for the system RAM, and 16 GB should be fine for this) and my graphics card is worse than yours. Re-reading your earlier post, I'm not sure if you have the earlier Carenado Mooney J.  I did and it didn't run that well on version 11 of X-Plane.  If you don't have the Ovation for X-Plane 11, it may be worth taking a $30 gamble to see if that fixes it.....Otherwise I'm pinning the blame squarely on Windows 10 :D.

Once again, hope this helps.  I'm interested in knowing how you make out.

Mike

@Michael  thanks for looking into your setup.   I tried running the stock 172SP that comes with XP-11 and it still causes my machine to chug along at about 10 fps.    

The "new" graphics card I bought on ebay arrived today.   GXT 970.  Removed the nVidia 730 and plugged it in eagerly.   Booted to VGA bios and told me to plug in the PCI-E power cables.  Did that.  Of course it doesn't seem to work right.   I get mobo beep code saying problem with graphics card.   Funny thing is, when I have no discrete GPU installed in the PCI-E slot, the onboard vga doesn't work, and I get the same beep code.   The only thing that will work is the 730.    Bios is ok.  Card is compatible with my mobo according to several posts.  

My PS is big enough according to recommended by nVidia.  Can't for the life of me figure this one out- played around with bios vga settings.   Uninstalled nVidia driver from Win10 and rebooted with new card in, still get the mobo beep code for graphics card error.   Funny thing is, after that error beep code, in all cases, it seems to boot, I just don't get anything on my screen.

Sigh.  I guess reflash the bios is next.  I don't want to do that...

-Fred