Basing a J on Grass

zuutroy

We have a taxiway at the 1000ft mark at my 5000ft home strip and if I am light can make that turn as long as I’m disciplined with speed at 70mph over the fence, not 80mph if short. Next turn is 2000ft and it’s never a problem. I’ve never been on grass but if I did I would remove the smaller inner gear doors and not think another thought about it. 

Being based on a grass strip one important consideration is parking. I would not want to park on grass for weeks or months on end. Something to consider. 

• Like 1

My C model is based on grass primarily. We also have another C, an E, and an R at the same grass airport. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Maybe have to scrub the tips a little harder in the summer when washing to get the green tinge off, but thats it. Its a little uncomfortable but free fiddy sure does sound like a nice price

Practice your short field/soft field technique.  Taxi with the trim full up, yoke full back.  Don't forget to re-trim for takeoff. 

For takeoff, yoke full back, once front wheel breaks ground, relax back pressure to keep it just off the ground.  Accelerate in ground effect and get your wheels put away once you KNOW you are flying.

For landing, know what speed you need on final and be on speed. If you don't touch down in the first 1/3, go around.  The grass will slow you down, so you should be able to make either of those midfield taxiways with very minimal braking.

I fly an F rather than a J, but would have no reservations about landing on this strip after flying out of 1KS6. (Full disclosure, I chickened out on my first few attempts but eventually became quite comfortable.)

17 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

My C model is based on grass primarily. We also have another C, an E, and an R at the same grass airport. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Maybe have to scrub the tips a little harder in the summer when washing to get the green tinge off, but thats it. Its a little uncomfortable but free fiddy sure does sound like a nice price

If the grass is in good condition it works out fine. But if its your typical bush grass field with gopher holes the Mooney won't survive long.

-Robert