Mooney Ovation Voltage Regulator

Niko182

anyone have a voltage regulator part number for the Ovation. My alternator died last week, and once the new one was installed, looks like the old alternator took out the voltage regulator with it. Just looking for the right part number or a possible fix / solution. The new alternator that replaced it was a 150amp vs the original 100amp one. I tagged some people that seem to know the the complete systems of the ovation/eagles in the back of their head.

@LANCECASPER
@StevenL757

• Like 1

After you see what it cost to replace, consider the option of having it repaired. A firm in New York, Consolidated ..., has the capability to overhaul most 24v Mooney alternators. Call them with your verified part no and they can confirm.
I could give you more contact info but traveling - living the Mooney dream out of country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 11:42 PM, Niko182 said:

anyone have a voltage regulator part number for the Ovation. My alternator died last week, and once the new one was installed, looks like the old alternator took out the voltage regulator with it. Just looking for the right part number or a possible fix / solution. The new alternator that replaced it was a 150amp vs the original 100amp one. I tagged some people that seem to know the the complete systems of the ovation/eagles in the back of their head.

@LANCECASPER
@StevenL757

On 1/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, StevenL757 said:

Yea, Lance @LANCECASPER beat me to it.  I also came up with the 270 part to fit your SN (0010).  Let me make a couple of calls in the morning to ask about sourcing and OH options and will check back in.

Checking back in...I wasn't aware of a 150-amp alternator PMA available for the IO550G platform, unless it's from Hartzell Engine Technologies, but I can't recall seeing one made by them.  The original IO550G alternators are made by Continental Motors, and they only type-certified a 100-amp option for that engine.

Either way...did a bit more research and you have a few options.  Not sure if you've had a chance to diagnose yet and if you're proficient with wiring (not just familiar...proficient), but before you are convinced you have a failed regulator, start with making sure there are no shorted wires between the alternator and the firewall, as the field wire can overheat and short.  During the troubleshooting, make sure you have full voltage from the regulator...a few volts less than 24V is normal.  Tracing the path E2E, the field wiring goes from the CB --> switch --> voltage regulator --> firewall --> alternator.  If you aren't comfortable with troubleshooting (it gets tricky, as the wiring takes awhile to trace back), get ahold of LASAR or the folks at Top Gun, as they're fairly close to your location.  My IA can also take you through the detailed process over the phone.

If you have the Zeftronics A25 AEM voltage regulator installed, assuming worst-case, they are about $1200 new from an MSC and Paul @Pmaxwell has offered repair on your existing one if needed.

Either way, happy to help out and let us know what you decide.  I hope it's an inexpensive fix.

Steve

• Like 1

Niko,

When you get some time...

Check on the details regarding the 150Amps vs. 100Amps... Steven pointed out an interesting challenge regarding wire sizes....

If all the Amps start being used, the wires may get hotter than expected...

PP thoughts only, I have little electro-mechanical experience...

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 years later...

Greetings all –

I was hoping to update this thread —

Anyone know / wish to comment on the current status/availability of replacement 24V voltage regulators for the ovation?

Are there currently any PMA replacements available or is repair (e.g. Consolidated) the only option at this point?

MSCs/Mooney don’t seem to have any stock, and haven’t for a long time, what are people doing now in 2022…

Thanks — Bob

PS I’m looking for P/N 800397–501

Just now, FlyingScot said:

Greetings all –

I was hoping to update this thread —

Anyone know / wish to comment on the current status/availability of replacement 24V voltage regulators for the ovation?

Are there currently any PMA replacements available or is repair (e.g. Consolidated) the only option at this point?

MSCs/Mooney don’t seem to have any stock, and haven’t for a long time, what are people doing now in 2022…

Thanks — Bob

PS I’m looking for P/N 800397–501

Maxwell fixes them. Id look that direction. I believe he charges 300 bucks. @Pmaxwell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

+1 for DMax and company for repairs…

Now may be the time to ask questions…. If you have a single alternator system… and are considering a two alternator system….???

:)

PP thoughts only,

-a-

I am - I'm all-electric - had the Vac system pulled a while ago when I did a panel upgrade so I have a couple of free engine accessory drive pads :)  B&C still doesn't have an STC for an M20, but I understand field approvals aren't hard to come by (famous last words). I don't think I would try to split the busses to try to create an emergency bus, though,  I would just make it a failover. My steady-state draw in flight seems to be around 20A, which at worst with a 20A standby alternator would mean a very slowly draining battery. 

• Like 1