ATC Professionalism

Went to Los Angeles area yesterday to pick  up a friend who dropped off his Bonanza. It was busy as usual but ATC was professional, efficient and friendly. There was a Mooney pilot at KPOC that couldn’t figure out the ODP and the ground controller patiently talked him through it, reviewed all the altitudes and headings and even told him where he could find the written version-all with patience and not a hint of frustration.

As we were flying home I commented to my friend how impressed I was with the controllers and he said “It’s even more impressive when you consider the fact they’re not getting paid!”

Ran across this article today and I guess it’s true (although I’m not sure how it works for contract controllers). Not trying to get into politics here, but I just wanted to say kudos to our aviation colleagues who show up every day, do their job and act like true professionals, even in the face of personal hardship. I wish more people acted that way...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/politics/shutdown-paycheck-what-it-looks-like-trnd/index.html

• Like 12

Agree, I fly in the Washington DC area and I've had them bring me down the east side of IAD just to save me some time.

My experience is the same as all, flown across country many times and ATC has been very professional and helpful.

Thanks to all especially during  these times.

• Like 2

100% impressive.

We bought our local tower cab lunch the other day. They appreciated it. If able I’d recommend taking care of your local tower some how. 

Heard a female NoCal controller yesterday have a short conversation with a SWA. SWA was sympathetic and complimentary of her service, SWA said he “knew how it was as he was once Furloughed” .. controller came back with...”well at least you didn’t go to work with out getting paid” 

Kinda put it into perspective. These folks won’t make rent or mortgage this month!! It really sucks! But they still come to work? Totally impressive!!!!

Be Kind!! No pop up IFRs, and take it easy with flight following! 

-Matt

• Like 2

Most all controllers I have dealt with are very professional even here in the Chicago area

I totally understand how controllers can get frustrated with some people. 

Paychecks are delayed, they will get everything owed to them. 

After being in this business for many many years, it is always amazed me how professional this business really is.
You have a bunch of type a pilots flying around and a bunch of type a air traffic controllers working them. Rarely do you hear conflicts in the radio... Except sometimes with American Airlines.
Every time I get frustrated with ATC, I just remember that I have not hit an airplane in 30 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm half Asian, and I have a mom with a thick Korean accent, but I have the hardest time understanding many of the Asian student pilots on the radio.  I have yet to hear anyone on ATC act unprofessional.  I even told my wife that I'd lose my mind trying to work with them and I didn't know how ATC stayed so patient.

16 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The professionalism crosses both sides of our border.  Nav Canada controllers are buying pizzas for FAA controllers during the shut down.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-air-traffic-controllers-buy-pizza-for-u-s-peers-going-unpaid-during-shutdown-1.4251623

Clarence

Is there a way to contribute? I would totally buy them pizza. I don’t think tired, hypoglycemic, and stressed-out controllers are good for anyone.

4 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Is there a way to contribute? I would totally buy them pizza. I don’t think tired, hypoglycemic, and stressed-out controllers are good for anyone.

Not sure but perhaps @ohdub one of our members here and a Toronto area controller might know.

Clarence

10 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Speaking of privatization and the shutdown... Does anyone know how the shutdown is affecting the contract tower controllers?  About half of the control towers around the country are run by companies contracted by the FAA.

I'm moving to Fullerton KFUL this weekend so went to their monthly Fullerton Airport Pilots Association meeting last night. The presenter was the ATC Air Traffic Manager for the Airport. He has a long pedigree working all over SoCal. He gave a great presentation and did mention that they are getting paid because they are a contract tower. It is also the reason he is still able to work because he had aged out. Great guy, very professional, very helpful.

There was also a controller there who works at LAX. He got up and spoke a little at the end, also very nice and professional. @M20Doc mentioned the pizzas, one of the comments that was made last night by the conrollers was "Send pizza up to the tower." :) I'm thinking that even when the shut down is over that they would still appreciate some pizza.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

He gave a great presentation and did mention that they are getting paid because they are a contract tower.

That's good to hear.  We also invite the nearby tower managers to our aviation association meeting once a year.  As you mentioned, everyone has put on a great presentation, been very professional, and were great guys to talk with... and also were aged out of the FAA towers.  Mind you, not all of the controllers are aged out, but the managers have been.

55 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

About half of the control towers around the country are run by companies contracted by the FAA.

Is there a way to determine the the contractors vice govvies?

I would perhaps do something for those in the tower here...

On 1/12/2019 at 12:47 PM, MB65E said:

Be Kind!! No pop up IFRs, and take it easy with flight following! 

I learned after a visit to our local TRACON, that Flight Following is preferred by controllers. The more VFR airplanes on flight following, the easier their job is. They have to keep everyone away from IFR traffic and at least with FF they know you, your altitude, direction, intentions, and can call you. VFR not on FF is a much higher work load as they have to keep "on you" as they have no idea what the hell you're doing.

So be nice to your local ATC and use FF.

On another note, the Austin Pilots Facebook group started a campaign to get grocery store gift cards for the ATC staff. The limit on gifts is $20 to federal employees so we just made sure we got $20 gift cards. We met Monday night at a North Austin pub to collect the cards, and last night at a South Austin pub for the same reason. In just under a week, we collected over $5000 in $20 gift cards for the local Austin ATC

I should say that the campaign was initiated and kicked off by Ken VeArd. He is the creator of the Pilot Partner electronic log book.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, vorlon1 said:

Is there a way to determine the the contractors vice govvies?

I would perhaps do something for those in the tower here...

I'm not sure how up to date this list is. The only thing I can find with a date is a report they link that was given in 2012 so perhaps the data is that old as well. It provides some place to start anyway. 

http://aireform.com/airports-atc/faas-airports/the-air-list-of-airports-626-airports-512-towers/

• Like 2

Here is another list showing just the contract towers, which I believe is up to date. http://air-traffic-control.com/federal-contract-towers/

@Skates97 list shows all towers (and a few non-towered airports) as well as number of daily operations, hours of operation, number of based planes, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Well, I put my money where my mouth is and sent 15 pizzas to LA Center. They were very appreciative. Maybe if other pilots do this Mooneys will get priority handling thoughout the U.S.! ;)

Who’s next? @jaylw314, I’ll bet Seattle Center likes pizza too...

I might consider Jimmy John's, I'd prefer not give ATC heart attacks :) 

• Like 1