How does the FAA combine ratings on you cert

RobertGary1

I'm curious if there an a published algorithm for how they do this. For instance my CP pilot certificate says...

"Airplane single engine land & sea; airplane multiengine land"

They could also have chosen

"Airplane multi & single engine land; airplane single engine sea"

If I get my MES will it say

"Airplane single & multi engine land & sea"?

Maybe I'll have to get the MES just to see what it says.

24 minutes ago, Immelman said:

It sounds like more research (i.e. ratings) are required!!

I can tell you they list the type ratings alphabetically. I sure would like to add SES and Glider..... very hard to justify when caring for a Mooney takes time and money.

I thought about Glider too. Its easy to get it at the private level but a bit more work to add it to your commercial. I think any private priv always gets put on the very bottom. 

-Robert

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Or could it be dependent on the order I got my certs since I got my commercial ASEL and ASES before my AMEL.

-Robert

No mine is alphabetical order also...airplane single engine land and sea;Airplane Multiengine land;instrument Airplane;Rotercraft-Helicopter;Glider

Mine says, as follows... and not in the order earned-

Airline Transport Pilot

Airplane multiengine land

Commercial privileges

Airplane single engine land

I suppose the ATP multi confers commercial privileges- obviously that’s not the other way around for the SE or else they wouldn’t list “commercial privileges” below.  I do know that ATP confers an instrument rating (it is no longer written on your ticket- it is now assumed).  I guess the FAA has some sort of hierarchy they follow for listing ratings.

Edited by M016576

11 hours ago, M016576 said:

Airline Transport Pilot

Commercial privileges

I suppose the ATP multi confers commercial privileges- obviously that’s not the other way around for the SE or else they wouldn’t list “commercial privileges” below.  I do know that ATP confers an instrument rating (it is no longer written on your ticket- it is now assumed).  I guess the FAA has some sort of hierarchy they follow for listing ratings.

That’s exactly what mine says, at least they are consistent.

• Like 1

It’s kind of strange but the faa considers it you are still an atp in a single but just limited to commercial priv. This becomes an issue if you solo in say a helicopter. You’re still an atp pilot so the solo endorsement is different and some limitations like the solo expiration don’t apply. 

-Robert 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, M016576 said:

Airline Transport Pilot

Commercial privileges

They list "commercial privileges" for SE because your ATP certificate only has a multi engine rating. Get an ATP single rating and the separation will go away.

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

It’s kind of strange but the faa considers it you are still an atp in a single but just limited to commercial priv. This becomes an issue if you solo in say a helicopter. You’re still an atp pilot so the solo endorsement is different and some limitations like the solo expiration don’t apply. 

-Robert 

That's just as true for a private pilot, ASEL, who solos a helicopter. You are no longer a "student pilot" and 61.31(d) applies to solo flight in a new category or class, not  61.87 or 61.93.

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

They list "commercial privileges" for SE because your ATP certificate only has a multi engine rating. Get an ATP single rating and the separation will go away.

The juice ain’t worth the squeeze for a single ATP for me.  Not many majors flying single engine at this point (maybe in the future??). but yes, you are correct.

Edited by M016576