Landing rods dust boots

larrynimmo

In case someone is in the same situation but doesn’t have access to sewing machine Hector at Aero Comfort has these Rat Boots made out of leather. When my fabric ones were disintegrating I put them on about 10 years ago. I think he charged me $20 each. 

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

They are really there to keep carbon monoxide from the exhaust from getting into the cabin through the rod opening. And for mice.

My thought exactly...I would have picked a flexible ,gas impermeable material like Naugahyde to block CO

Completed installation ...

first picture is with the gear fully retracted...you can see the velcro section bunched up but not interfering. The angle of the camera is abnormal because the wheel being tucked up into the wheel well makes access limited.

second picture you can see the smoothly extended boot...the cloth is zip tied tight...and the felt base is glued to the fuselage with contact cement

52944060-67FB-41D0-90C5-15A3C54F1635.jpeg

D5505AD5-2BA6-4515-B85C-EFD37C4ED550.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, larrynimmo said:

Beware..heavier materials seem to be a better option....but make sure you don’t bind the pushrods to the point they jam and cause damage...my feeling is light and flexible...my expectation is mine will last 20+ years

I would also keep in mind the fact that materials like vinyl or leather are going to be much less flexible in the wonderful wintery conditions we experience in the great white north (i.e. Minnesota). I, for one, would stick with a heavier fabric that also is not especially water absorbent.