How about a general discussion forum that is not aviation related?

18 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I did not follow the thread as I didn't know the OP and it wasn't relative to my flying.  I just now went back to see what you were referring to and those "problem" comments have been removed.  I still have no idea what was said, and by the replies he received, I don't really want to.

I still stand by my comment that the entire thread should have been removed as it wasn't aviation related in any way shape or form.  I don't find it appropriate to post info about his wedding anymore than I would find it appropriate to post info about my son winning the county spelling bee (who many on here have also met).  It's simply not aviation related and does not belong.  Those exciting life moments would be better shared through PM's with friends, than through the entire community.  To do otherwise is only an open invitation to the type of replies that most on this thread are trying to avoid.

Agree with this.  Save your wedding, kids graduation, new puppy, essential oils, and all that other non-aviation stuff for Facebook.  I dont think this is the place for it, because it has nothing to do with aviation. 

The location this stuff is getting posted under is titled "General Mooney Talk" with a descriptor of "This forum is just for general discussion about Mooney aircraft".  Given that statement, I would think it makes sense that anything non-aviation related (weddings/puppies/etc) should be deleted.  I dont want to hear about the border wall, or universal basic income -- I DO want to hear about the fees signature charged you when flying your Mooney to Key West. 

On the flip side, I keep hearing statements about the rules and policys of this forum.  I have only been hear for a little over a year and have never been able to find these rules.  Where could one look?  The only posts I see stickied are those asking to donate to this site. 

If these rules do exist, or we take the forum header and subject descriptors seriously, then the mods should go through and clean this stuff up, regardless if they agree or disagree with the post content.  Members jobs are to help make the mods life easier by reporting these rule violations to get rid of them as I am sure the mods cant watch every post.

Rumor has it there is a great Mooney club on Facebook you can post that other stuff to and get tons of "likes".

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kpaul said:

Neither of these posts are aviation related, therefore by your own "rules" they do not belong on MS and should be deleted.  Have a nice day!

Agree, this whole thread is non aviation related.  However, it is posted in a forum specifically asking for suggestions on how to make the website better, so they do belong in this forum.  But yes, this thread and all the replies, mine included, would be inappropriate in any other forum on the website.

29 minutes ago, rbridges said:

most of the people on this forum throw like girls, so that still wouldn't hurt.  :D

6 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Agree, this whole thread is non aviation related.  However, it is posted in a forum specifically asking for suggestions on how to make the website better, so they do belong in this forum.  But yes, this thread and all the replies, mine included, would be inappropriate in any other forum on the website.

Ok, you both are headed to the penalty box! 

I personally don't care about the occasional off aviation topic thread. How many times can we answer the same "I'm thinking about buying a Mooney, can I sit in yours or get a ride" question? Even the aviation related threads have gone sideways at times. It's when these threads become personal attacks is when MooneySpace skids off of the runway (like how I kept this aviation related?) :) 

What some of the newer members don't know is that there have been some pretty nasty behind the scenes personal attacks that forced Craig to throw some members into the penalty box. He may have even banned some (not sure on that). All of those I believe had some political tone to them like the infamous "Little Timmy" thread. And as Dev mentioned, when the fat ladies are flying, it is usually a sign that a thread is beginning to go sideways. I used to participate in a number of aviation forums and have stopped since all of the other ones have some level of "see how high I can urinate on the wall" theme. This ain't true of MooneySpace. For the most part we are pretty civilized, respectful group with a common passion of the best personal airplane ever to have been built.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Agree with this.  Save your wedding, kids graduation, new puppy, essential oils, and all that other non-aviation stuff for Facebook.  I dont think this is the place for it, because it has nothing to do with aviation. 

The location this stuff is getting posted under is titled "General Mooney Talk" with a descriptor of "This forum is just for general discussion about Mooney aircraft".  Given that statement, I would think it makes sense that anything non-aviation related (weddings/puppies/etc) should be deleted.  I dont want to hear about the border wall, or universal basic income -- I DO want to hear about the fees signature charged you when flying your Mooney to Key West. 

On the flip side, I keep hearing statements about the rules and policys of this forum.  I have only been hear for a little over a year and have never been able to find these rules.  Where could one look?  The only posts I see stickied are those asking to donate to this site. 

If these rules do exist, or we take the forum header and subject descriptors seriously, then the mods should go through and clean this stuff up, regardless if they agree or disagree with the post content.  Members jobs are to help make the mods life easier by reporting these rule violations to get rid of them as I am sure the mods cant watch every post.

Rumor has it there is a great Mooney club on Facebook you can post that other stuff to and get tons of "likes".

We don't really have moderators here. The site belongs to Craig, many of us chip in to defray his operting costs. OK, "many of you," since I keep forgetting to mail my check. There may be two or even three admins, and that's it. So it's very much Craig's ball, Craig's bat and Craig's field, so we all play by Craig's rules and enjoy minimal moderation and interference.

Starting a dedicated aviation-free zone in this age of division, demands and non-negotiating would create a huge need for moderation and many mods, plus a few obligatory Super Mods for when someone pushed a mod's button a little too hard!

I enjoy Mooneyspace like it is. Let's keep it mostly civil, mostly clean and look after ourselves. Sometimes it's difficult and we overstep, but we can man up and apologize afterwards. It really works. Just behave, that's all. And please, no more mostly bare fat pictures!!!  :blink:

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

I think we need another feedback category, and this would win it- a little emoticon of a trophy for making an award-quality contribution.  

Maybe a nice shield-shaped plaque with a blue ribbon on it?  ^_^   Sometimes I think more emojis would be nice.

• Like 1