Questions about M20F and Mooney's in general

22 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

I don’t think I bought the wrong plane. I just didn’t know what I didn’t know. I hadn’t defined my mission yet. It’s been a great plane for solo XC which is 95% of my mission.  I just can’t fit the whole family in there.  An A36 would do 100% of my mission and the kiddos would be a lot less cramped. I’ve put over 400 hours on the plane and the experience has been worth every penny.  I wasnt experenced enough to have the desire to put my family in the plane before I flew the F everywhere.

Honestly if I could find an A36 to partner in I’d buy a share in it and keep the F.  Could also live with a share in a 210, but you know, gotta low wing master race.   

My comment about performance was aimed at OPs mission of flying 4 adults out of a grass strip. 

$40k doesnt buy much F though. It’s gonna cost $100k to get that $40k F to what a $65k F would be. 

If I didn’t “buy much F” with a GNS430W, STEC-30 w/alt hold, GPSS, slaved StrikeFinder, G3 Insight monitor, 201 windshield, PowerFlow exhaust, Ney nozzles, SkyTec starter, aileron, flap, elevator gap seals, cowl closure, dorsal fin mod, one piece belly, and speed brakes then please explain what I’m suppose to spend the $100K on, please?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeOH said:

If I didn’t “buy much F” with a GNS430W, STEC-30 w/alt hold, GPSS, slaved StrikeFinder, G3 Insight monitor, 201 windshield, PowerFlow exhaust, Ney nozzles, SkyTec starter, aileron, flap, elevator gap seals, cowl closure, dorsal fin mod, one piece belly, and speed brakes then please explain what I’m suppose to spend the $100K on, please?

Assuming a mid-time engine, you've got every bit of a $65 to $75K F. Did you pay less than that? And if so, when? 

Just curious.

8 hours ago, Sixstring2k said:

I saw that plane and was wishing I had already finish my ppl, hope everything goes well and you get it. It looks good to me for the price Just safe to get a new paint job and interior 

I "found" my plane during the Long XC portion, and was distracted for a little while. Decided I needed to put it out of my mind and finish up! Wrote a big check for it five weeks after my checkride.  :)

Study well, fly safe and happy hunting!

Sometimes a motivated owner will price something aggressively just to move it. There isn’t always a sinister plot behind the scenes. I know of one Mooney that was being sold by the widow’s brother-in-law. She just wanted it gone. He looked up the comps and sold it for 10 AMU less than the comp.

If someone is drowning in debt or just wants to move on, low prices can be seen. Take a look at the boating market if you want to see some interesting prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So I took a flight in a M20C Ranger today. I really like the aircraft but its not going to fit the wife and I in a way she would be happy. We need more room than the M20 offers. So I put an offer in on a Sunny D that I know will fit me, the wife, and our mission only at a slower speed. Thanks again for all your help, and happy flying!

Edited by nathan lively

BTW this was the aircraft I was looking at https://www.howardaircraft.com/inventory/?/listings/aircraft/for-sale/27598699/1967-mooney-m20f-exec-21?dlr=1&pcid=1209710&sfc=0&lo=2&snai=0&title=Piston+Single+Aircrafts 

I didn't want to cause the price to inflate while I was trying to figure out if it was going to fit. Had that happen with a high time ex Airline Training F33A.  https://barnstormers.com/classified_1433034_1989+Bonanza+F-33A+%2440%2C216.html 

A 40 amu F33A?

a quick look on Controller indicates Long Body Mooney pricing... ordinary F33As sell for 200amu...

Keep both eyes open...

27k hours airframe...?

2k hours on engine...?

When looking at brand B... They have a site called BT, similar to MS only different... go there to make sure you understand what you are buying... :)

PP thoughts only, not a plane salesman, or finance guy...

Best regards,

-a-

12 minutes ago, carusoam said:

A 40 amu F33A?

a quick look on Controller indicates Long Body Mooney pricing... ordinary F33As sell for 200amu...

Keep both eyes open...

27k hours airframe...?

2k hours on engine...?

When looking at brand B... They have a site called BT, similar to MS only different... go there to make sure you understand what you are buying... :)

PP thoughts only, not a plane salesman, or finance guy...

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah I asked at BT and on the facebook group if I should be worried about the 27k hours airframe. With in 12 hours of me posting my question price increased almost 8k was 32k when I asked. lol

Edited by nathan lively

25 minutes ago, nathan lively said:

BTW this was the aircraft I was looking at https://www.howardaircraft.com/inventory/?/listings/aircraft/for-sale/27598699/1967-mooney-m20f-exec-21?dlr=1&pcid=1209710&sfc=0&lo=2&snai=0&title=Piston+Single+Aircrafts 

I didn't want to cause the price to inflate while I was trying to figure out if it was going to fit. Had that happen with a high time ex Airline Training F33A.  https://barnstormers.com/classified_1433034_1989+Bonanza+F-33A+%2440%2C216.html 

Hey if you do the research and that’s what you want, God bless and enjoy but do the research.

Nathan have you researched the normal engine issues of airplanes, TBO?

What engine does the plane have?

How many hours since it has been overhauled?

Are you financially ready to OH it, because it looks really close to being ready now?

To see some OH pricing on an IO520 engine... go to the Continental site and look that up...

If you are a mechanic, this is a good project.  If you are not a mechanic, have a strong plan B if going forwards...

Run-out Mooneys aren’t any better...

Best regards,

-a-

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Nathan have you researched the normal engine issues of airplanes, TBO?

What engine does the plane have?

How many hours since it has been overhauled?

Are you financially ready to OH it, because it looks really close to being ready now?

To see some OH pricing on an IO520 engine... go to the Continental site and look that up...

If you are a mechanic, this is a good project.  If you are not a mechanic, have a strong plan B if going forwards...

Run-out Mooneys aren’t any better...

Best regards,

-a-

I did and that's why I put an offer on a Sundowner when I found out the M20F wouldn't work and moved away from the 33A after the price increase. I just wanted to share the plane I was asking all the questions about with the group and the reason why I hadn't before :) 

13 hours ago, Sixstring2k said:

I saw that plane and was wishing I had already finish my ppl, hope everything goes well and you get it. It looks good to me for the price Just safe to get a new paint job and interior 

The guy I flew with purchased his prior to finishing his PPL. Was the motivation he need to push through and complete it so he could go fly his aircraft. 

Did you lose the F?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, nathan lively said:

The guy I flew with purchased his prior to finishing his PPL. Was the motivation he need to push through and complete it so he could go fly his aircraft. 

I wish I could do the same but we are happily expecting our first child and although financially everything says I could do it I rather wait and do my ppl and see what comes because life has a way changing your plans.

Besides the baby I have yet to really defined my mission that’s why I came to this site to be more informed, but Kermit the frog (the first thing out the wifes mouth after she saw that m20F) would have being cheap enough to jump into and I do have my A/P so I could have done some of the routine maintenance on it until I learn more about the Mooney and it’s systems and quirks, do a few owner assisted annuals to really get in there and see.

Edited by Sixstring2k

3 hours ago, nathan lively said:

That C looks nice!

3 hours ago, nathan lively said:

Lufthansa trains their pilots out of the Goodyear airport in Bos.  They fly the crap out of those things, obviously.  Other than the 27k hours on the airframe I'd think one of these would be a fun fixer-upper!  

I was wondering how they got released back to the wild.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, MikeOH said:

You didn’t buy an F then... you stole it!  Today’s market you could get $65-75k for it.