New brakes I think I need

Danb

Ok I know I need brakes maybe, it’s been about 5-6 years, just put on new tires and the brakes need quite a bit of pressure to stop the rascal and the parking brake doesn’t hold on runup, since new tires were installed( not really bad but preventative) could something be messed up since the tires were just changed or a coincidence?

Dan - your Bravo will have the calipers flipped and it should be pretty easy to see your pad conditions. Here is what you are looking for. You’re looking for the thickness of the things with red dots on them (I put red dots on my photo).

c38efb14f892f772e2961db9b22c2df4.jpg

I hope this brake thing isn’t spreading like the measles. I am close to calling my brakes back to normal. Still had to do some more bleeding to stiffen them up some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 9:06 PM, Boilermonkey said:

Nope...three owners....lots of time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I did pads twice on my M20F over 1100 hours and I operate out of a short strip with regards to brakes being relatively inexpensive. Almost sounds like someone is taxiing with their feet heavy on the brakes. Do you have an owner that has flat spotted more tires than anyone else?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Boilermonkey said:

Wow. We replace ours every other year if not every year.

OMG!! I'm in my 12th year of ownership and have put hundreds of landings on my C at my home fields of 3000' over the trees and now 3200'. Neither brakes nor tires were new when I bought her, but I replaced the mains about 4-5 years ago and the nose most recently at annual last year. Call it 700+ hours on the tach, more in my logbook, and I haven't replaced the brakes yet . . .

What are ya'll doing? My final approach speed is 85 mph, slowing to 75 mph near the runway (there's no fence to come over), minus another 5 mph for every 300 lb below gross for that landing. When I land, I raise flaps after the nose comes down, and brake gently after IAS falls below 50 mph on rollout. So far, so good, but beginning to plan and look for brake pads.

1 minute ago, jaylw314 said:

What does the wear indicator look like?  I'm not sure what I'm looking at in @Yetti's photo other than his forehead :D

There is a small indentation on the lining, against the disc.  I’ll get a picture later today.

Clarence

2 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

There is a small indentation on the lining, against the disc.  I’ll get a picture later today.

Clarence

I think I see that.  But it seems to go all the way up to the backing plate, how does it tell you when to change the pad?

3 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I think I see that.  But it seems to go all the way up to the backing plate, how does it tell you when to change the pad?

When the indicator disappears, the lining is worn to the rivets.

Clarence

All this wear indicator discussion is interesting, and certainly pads should be replaced when indicated by wear indicator or thickness measurement, but don’t pads generally continue to provide braking until worn to metal contact? The original post was regarding poor braking after wheel maintenance. 

It is possible that something was assembled incorrectly, the lining faces may have been contaminated during reassembly.  There are 2 different types of brakes installed on Bravo airframes, single and dual pistons.  The linings may need to be reconditioned.

Clarence

742F190F-88D8-423A-8960-C8F7A5E64221.png

60C7121B-AF87-41A0-AE0C-64E1C3066BD8.png