M20J Instructor in NC?

George

Hi All,

My two oldest boys are having a tough time with Mooney landings. I have plenty of C time from way back and little J time starting about a month ago. I was never an instructor and can hold my own on landings but  I am having a hard time passing on what seems to work for me to the boys! Anyhow... the boys have asked if there might be any instructors in the NC area that could work with them?

Thanks,

Hank

Hank, I think you're in the Monroe area? My first choice would be Brandon NeSmith who flies corporate now out of HKY. He still instructs as he has time and has transition quite a few folks to Mooneys.

Lynn Mace or Brent Brinkley our airport manager at MRN can help you contact him. Brent might have another name or two, he was able to recommend a Mooney experienced CFI to get a new owner (military helicopters pilot) of a Mooney that Lynn had just done a PPI on checked out and insurance qualified over a weekend.

http://www.themooneyflyer.com/cfi.html

No one listed in NC but a couple in VA that might be within flying range.  

The MAPA course is also a great way to get some time with a good Mooney CFI if you can get to one of those.

https://www.mooneysafety.com

2019 PPP’s

• Lakeland, FL: Feb 1-3
  • Santa Maria, CA: Apr 5-7
  • Oklahoma City, OK: Jun 7-9
  • Atlantic City, NJ: Sep 5-8
  • Ogden, UT: Oct 4-6
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Hank, I think you're in the Monroe area? My first choice would be Brandon NeSmith who flies corporate now out of HKY. He still instructs as he has time and has transition quite a few folks to Mooneys.

Lynn Mace or Brent Brinkley our airport manager at MRN can help you contact him. Brent might have another name or two, he was able to recommend a Mooney experienced CFI to get a new owner (military helicopters pilot) of a Mooney that Lynn had just done a PPI on checked out and insurance qualified over a weekend.

Hi Bob...Yes EQY....Thanks I will see if I can get in touch with Lynn or Brent tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, hypertech said:

http://www.themooneyflyer.com/cfi.html

No one listed in NC but a couple in VA that might be within flying range.  

The MAPA course is also a great way to get some time with a good Mooney CFI if you can get to one of those.

https://www.mooneysafety.com

2019 PPP’s

• Lakeland, FL: Feb 1-3
  • Santa Maria, CA: Apr 5-7
  • Oklahoma City, OK: Jun 7-9
  • Atlantic City, NJ: Sep 5-8
  • Ogden, UT: Oct 4-6

Thanks for the sites...

Hank

Hey @George! The MAPA PPP is a great program, I highly recommend it for new Mooney pilots. Lots of good classroom information, reference material to keep and review, and flight time with a highly-experienced Mooney CFII in your plane.

Let's try not to confuse ourselves, as my legal name is George . . . .  :D   :lol:   :blink:   Seriously.

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Thank you for the kind words, Brad. Hope things are going well down near the coast.

@George, happy to help if I can. I'm based at TTA.

Thanks Mark...  Would like to take you up on the offer! My oldest is at NCSU. My other at  VT headed back on the 22nd. Let me know when you would have some time..I will see if I can make the schedules work.

Hank

Larry Morris is a DPE who also instructs out of Concord- JQF. His training plane is an M20J

Gary Moore used to instruct out of Concord and Monroe and was in a partnership on an M20J. I believe he still does some instruction but flies charter mostly. 

@George I heard great things about Gary Moore.

Larry Morris is a great instructor and DPE (was my DPE for Instrument check ride), fun to fly with but has a busy schedule, look up TARHEEL aero at concord for his phone number.

I fly M20J out of 8A6, transition wasn’t that bad. Stop by when you close by.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, Zack EA said:

@George I heard great things about Gary Moore.

Larry Morris is a great instructor and DPE (was my DPE for Instrument check ride), fun to fly with but has a busy schedule, look up TARHEEL aero at concord for his phone number.

I fly M20J out of 8A6, transition wasn’t that bad. Stop by when you close by.

Thanks Zack.. We spent a couple hours with Mark this past week in JNX. I have not been into 8A6 yet..still trying to perfect my landings as well before I attempt the shorter strips...Any hangar space over there?

Edited by George
because i did not proof read my response..

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, David Lloyd said:

George, yes we have a couple hangar spaces open.  If interested I will send you the manager's phone.

Please do...I may ride by Wilgrove tomorrow and check it out.

Thanks

Hank

On 1/17/2019 at 6:00 PM, George said:

Thanks Zack.. We spent a couple hours with Mark this past week in JNX. I have not been into 8A6 yet..still trying to perfect my landings as well before I attempt the shorter strips...Any hangar space over there?

@George the Mooney is very capable of short field landings, I am comfortable getting in and out of 8A6. There are a couple of available shade slots, get with Alan Cobb the airport manager, he will show you what’s available.