Avidyne WiFi/BT Failure General Announcement

Now for an update from an actual experience with Avidyne.

@Bryan Kahl got right back to me, apologized for them dropping the ball last time, or losing me somewhere in the shuffle. He immediately put me on the phone with TJ who leads their tech support team. I gave TJ all the info we had regarding the pin-outs, configuration, software versions, etc. He was able to immediately download the FAA ADS-B data for the day when I'd been flying, and verify that I was successfully communicating with ADS-B ground stations. I wasn't at the plane, so he offered to call me back at my convenience the next morning when I would be at the plane.

The next morning, while sitting in the plane, TJ walked me through the various configuration screens. He immediately noticed a Radio ID indicating a SiriusXM radio. I confirmed that yes I have a GDL69a. But I only use it for music, not weather. This was the problem. The IFD, if configured to talk to the GDL69a, it prioritizes that over ADS-B Wx. We changed the configuration to eliminate the GDL69a and immediately the ADS-B weather started coming through. 

I took the plane up for a couple of laps around the pattern under a very low overcast, and was immediately able to see weather data including METAR's, Ceilings, Winds Aloft, etc. on the IFD540 screen.

This was obviously something that two "installers" didn't know about. I really appreciate Avidyne working with me directly, and I certainly understand the whole system a lot better now. 

I'm still very happy with my Avidyne GPS and will likely install the 440 at some point to complete the IFD stack. Other than this configuration issue, I've never had a single problem with the system. In fact, the CFI working with me on the Commercial rating, commented yesterday at the ease of using the IFD. He only had experience with the Garmin units. As we finished up our lesson on Monday, a thick layer of low clouds had moved in over the airport and we needed a pop up IFR clearance to get down through it. I immediately set up the IFD for the RNAV 35, Vectors, and headed that direction while descending. We then called Approach to get the clearance. By the time we had the clearance, we were already in the right position with the KFC150 and the IFD540 doing all the work. The CFI was very impressed with how easy it all was on the IFD platform and especially how convenient the little bluetooth keyboard it.

Thanks again to Bryan and TJ for sorting this out and making it such a good experience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Bryan Kahl got right back to me, apologized for them dropping the ball last time, or losing me somewhere in the shuffle. He immediately put me on the phone with TJ who leads their tech support team. I gave TJ all the info we had regarding the pin-outs, configuration, software versions, etc. He was able to immediately download the FAA ADS-B data for the day when I'd been flying, and verify that I was successfully communicating with ADS-B ground stations. I wasn't at the plane, so he offered to call me back at my convenience the next morning when I would be at the plane.

The next morning, while sitting in the plane, TJ walked me through the various configuration screens. He immediately noticed a Radio ID indicating a SiriusXM radio. I confirmed that yes I have a GDL69a. But I only use it for music, not weather. This was the problem. The IFD, if configured to talk to the GDL69a, it prioritizes that over ADS-B Wx. We changed the configuration to eliminate the GDL69a and immediately the ADS-B weather started coming through. 

I took the plane up for a couple of laps around the pattern under a very low overcast, and was immediately able to see weather data including METAR's, Ceilings, Winds Aloft, etc. on the IFD540 screen.

This was obviously something that two "installers" didn't know about. I really appreciate Avidyne working with me directly, and I certainly understand the whole system a lot better now. 

I'm still very happy with my Avidyne GPS and will likely install the 440 at some point to complete the IFD stack. Other than this configuration issue, I've never had a single problem with the system. In fact, the CFI working with me on the Commercial rating, commented yesterday at the ease of using the IFD. He only had experience with the Garmin units. As we finished up our lesson on Monday, a thick layer of low clouds had moved in over the airport and we needed a pop up IFR clearance to get down through it. I immediately set up the IFD for the RNAV 35, Vectors, and headed that direction while descending. We then called Approach to get the clearance. By the time we had the clearance, we were already in the right position with the KFC150 and the IFD540 doing all the work. The CFI was very impressed with how easy it all was on the IFD platform and especially how convenient the little bluetooth keyboard it.

Thanks again to Bryan and TJ for sorting this out and making it such a good experience.

Although Garmin makes good products as well, the response you would have received is “see your dealer”. The tech you are dealing with at the dealer most of the times is not a pilot and a lot can get lost in the translation. Being able to work directly with Tech Support is reason enough to go with Avidyne over Garmin.

Avidyne just celebrated 25 years in business on private funds. To me that means that they are going to operate more efficiently than if they operate on shareholders’ money. To bring the products to market that they have, working through all of the FAA hoops, proves they know what they are doing.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Anytime Paul! I'm glad everything got taken care of. Don't hesitate to reach out if anything else comes up. 

Best regards,

Bryan Kahl

Director of Customer Experience

Bkahl@avidyne.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 2:36 AM, m20kmooney said:

So I’m clear. We can’t discuss any issues with a certain manufacturer ‘s box because it’s not pc and considered bashing? We can only talk about good things not problems? Is this MS according to Anthony? Is this the world according to Anthony? I’d be ok with that but you see Anthony, my momma told me do not be anybody’s fool. What kind of discussion would it be if we have to tippy-toe around problems and issues for fear a rep will be offended? Would that not be doing our community a disservice? I think you’re wrong. Manufacturers actually do want to hear from us. If some rep along the way gets offended that’s their problem and a discussion they need to have with their management. I’m clear now. Are you?

Did your momma taught you to be “everybody’s”fool instead.

20 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

Their funds are limited and we don’t know their financial health. They’re here today and may be gone tomorrow. Unfortunately that uncertainty makes it a no go for me.

Ha ha that is probably the stupidest statement you have made.  The software company I work for is private and has been around for 39 years.  As far as "funds being limited"  look up Softbank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

It's hard to sift through all of the stupid statements he made and come up with the stupidest, but I think you're right.

Sorry I apologize for my rush to judgement, at times I have underestimated people's ability to swoop to a much lower level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2019 at 4:55 PM, thinwing said:

Did your momma taught you to be “everybody’s”fool instead.

20 hours ago, Yetti said:

Ha ha that is probably the stupidest statement you have made.  The software company I work for is private and has been around for 39 years.  As far as "funds being limited"  look up Softbank.

20 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

It's hard to sift through all of the stupid statements he made and come up with the stupidest, but I think you're right.

Such sophomoric responses do not deserve another.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:05 PM, Bryan Kahl said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. To be honest, I welcome the feedback even/especially when it's an area for improvement. It forces companies like us or our competitors to up our service and focus on continuous improvement. I can't guarantee we won't make mistakes but I can guarantee we'll do what we can to make it right! 

Best regards

Bryan

Bryan - I have a few questions about my unit. May I reach out through PM so I don’t hijack the thread?

On 1/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, gsxrpilot said:

This is great. I get weather - but it’s REALLY SPOTTY. I barely ever get winds aloft reports - it seems to take forever for the radar to pop up - so it’s not even useful. I thought this was normal ADSB weather. I get decent traffic reports - also, I need to figure out how to sync it to the IFD100. 

Any help anyone?

Oh they do...they really do...you sir are at the bottom of the bell curve..over and out.

I realize that this is a forum for free exchange of information but I must say that I’m concerned about the lack of mutual respect I’m seeing to other members in this thread. Whether we as members agree with someone’s opinion or point of view on a specific topic I don’t think someone should be verbally attacked as what I’ve seen above.
This should be a safe space for the sharing of ideas and information. Not belittling comments and name calling. We all share the same passion for aviation and our planes and with that we have a common bond.
In the words of the infamous Rodney King, “ Can’t we all just get along”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hi there Mr Rodgers...I agree with you ,but the tone was set earlier...please take the time to reread entire thread and reflect

I’ve read the thread. My comment was not pointed at anyone in particular. Just a statement that I’d like to see our conversations be respectful and elevated.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

I’ve read the thread. My comment was not pointed at anyone in particular. Just a statement that I’d like to see our conversations be respectful and elevated.

It would indeed require Mr. Rodgers to remind us to be good in the neighborhood. :) For you young guns, you'll need to look up Mr. Rogers and his Neighborhood.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Supercop0184 said:

This is great. I get weather - but it’s REALLY SPOTTY. I barely ever get winds aloft reports - it seems to take forever for the radar to pop up - so it’s not even useful. I thought this was normal ADSB weather. I get decent traffic reports - also, I need to figure out how to sync it to the IFD100. 

Any help anyone?

Here's a link to our online helpdesk article about setting up your IFD100. We are constantly updating this knowledge base with new articles so I would recommend to always check here first if you have a question. As for your weather issue, you can submit a trouble ticket through our online helpdesk as well. These requests are directly assigned to our tech support team. I recommend the ticket because there's going to be more dialog and follow up questions to identify what's causing your issue and the ticket allows us to keep better track of the interaction.

IFD100 Set up - https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/kb/articles/ifd100-setup

Submitting a ticket - https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/newticket

Hope this helps and again, if you have any questions you can always email me directly. bkahl@avidyne.com

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

Wow, is that it? It really doesn't seem like very many.

Well I could go into a it's low band so the signal travels better bla bla bla.    But the general rule is higher is better  longer time in sight of the tower is needed for more data to flow such as weather maps.    What I have seen going out of brenham and flying low more around the central texas area is that I am not always on a tower.