Avidyne WiFi/BT Failure General Announcement

On 1/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, MrRodgers said:

This should be a safe space for the sharing of ideas and information. Not belittling comments and name calling. 

Should be but unfortunately it’s not. The internet empowers insecure haters and brings out their real colors. And these types band together. Misery does love company. Expressing dissenting opinions is not allowed and risks being called a troll, a fool and stupid. But that doesn't bother me. Their opinion is not important to me. As I said earlier I’m in the process of redoing my panel and was looking at options from Garmin and Avidyne. Someone said that Avidyne is privately funded which is something I didn’t know and I thanked him for the info. I said not knowing their financial health I would be nervous investing all the major money it takes to redo a panel. They are here today and may be gone tomorrow. This is how I feel and it’s my opinion and decision. One of these insecure types apparently got a bad case of hives when I said that and jumped to call me stupid and to look up softbank. Well I did. May I inform the “gentleman” that softbank is a publically traded company and not privately funded. Big difference. But I will refrain from calling him and his comments stupid, as he did,  because I will not descend to his level and that of his pals. In any case thank you to all who share information. I have made my decisions and can’t wait to start. Hopefully soon.

Edited by m20kmooney
  • Like 1

When you make a stupid statement after bashing a company with no basis, then like you say you should be called out on it.  Why is your statement stupid, you assume because a company is private they are not financially secure.  A simple google search would show that Avidyne has venture capital backing.   Why did I point you to a public bank?  Because they have some large money they throw into the venture capital market.   Public companies and private companies can fail. Literally it was the second google link.  https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/52998-31

Search ARM and Softbank

• Like 2

So many times big companies outgrow innovation and miss the obvious. Brilliant people aren't coming up with great ideas, committees are making decisions.

With a huge installed base of GNS530's and GNS430's, which were innovative back in the late 90's, Garmin missed the obvious when it came time to design the next generation products. All they had to do was to take these new boxes with the latest technology and make them pin compatible with the 530 or 430 to make upgrading a no-brainer, a very easy thing to justify. Why? Because when you consider a panel upgrade the huge amount of time to install ($$$) is preventing a lot of people from taking advantage of all of this new exciting technology.

Avidyne being nimble, lean and innovative swooped in and offered new products with great features that the owner could slide in to replace the 20 year old Garmin boxes. That was pure genius! To experience the nice dinner/social event that Avidyne had for their customers Tuesday night at Oshkosh and to see the enthusiasm for the products that the owners have tells me all I need to know about the future prospects for their company: they are selling a lot of products and they are well connected to their customers.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Avidyne being nimble, lean and innovative swooped in and offered new products with great features that the owner could slide in to replace the 20 year old Garmin boxes. That was pure genius! To experience the nice dinner/social event that Avidyne had for their customers Tuesday night at Oshkosh and to see the enthusiasm for the products that the owners have tells me all I need to know about the future prospects for their company: they are selling a lot of products and they are well connected to their customers.

While Avidyne made leaps and bounds beyond the 15 year old technology (I still am amazed at the prices people pay for old garmin stuff) it is still not that breath taking which is why you see people still using the tablet for primary after they spend 30AMU for that fancy panel.  I downloaded the Avidyne simulator and was underwhelmed. Also realize that technology innovation should bring down costs...  This seems way more innovative. https://www.avilution.com 

• Like 1

And while I am on the soap box, with all the added sensor inputs, there are still not analytics coming into the cockpit.   It would be great if the data was being turned into information.   But then that would eliminate half the posts on Mooneyspace since that is what alot folks come here and ask.

While Avidyne made leaps and bounds beyond the 15 year old technology (I still am amazed at the prices people pay for old garmin stuff) it is still not that breath taking which is why you see people still using the tablet for primary after they spend 30AMU for that fancy panel.  I downloaded the Avidyne simulator and was underwhelmed. Also realize that technology innovation should bring down costs...  This seems way more innovative. https://www.avilution.com 

It’s the nature of Cheap Bast&$ds. They don’t want to spend the 5 figures to buy a GTN or Avidyne and figure paying $6k or $8k for a 430 or 530 is a deal to them.

As for the prices. It’s a captive audience. Garmin set the benchmark and Avidyne followed suit. You’re in the IT field. Remember when an HP desktop computer was $5k? I do. What changed? Competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

I downloaded the Avidyne simulator and was underwhelmed. Also realize that technology innovation should bring down costs...  This seems way more innovative. https://www.avilution.com 

Things only allowed in the experimental market always are more innovative. This may never get to the certified market, or it may in many years. For something actually available today, that you can put in your certified airplane today, that you can use today, the Avidyne system is pretty darned good.

CAN I PUT XFS IN MY CERTIFIED AIRCRAFT?

Currently, XFS is being sold to end users within the experimental market.

• Like 2

Currently waiting on the AML to the Dynon Skyview STC.   Should be the glass panel ADSBout etc for the cost of two Avidyne units.   For my pay for airplane job, I do this stuff everyday.  Currently working on two RFIs one for IIoT and the other for real time cloud data storage.

• 2 years later...
On 1/8/2019 at 7:39 AM, DualRatedFlyer said:

Departed PA for a trip to Key West on Sunday for a short vacation with family. Noticed my iPad wasn't pairing with my IFD440 for some reason. Restarted the IFD to double check I clicked "allow" on the wifi prompt. Bluetooth and wifi symbols come up on the unit, but no networks are visible on my iPad or phone or backup iPad. Only so much troubleshooting can be completed from the air, so I did what I could and decided to give them a call after landing in Key West since I was on a tight schedule.

First time calling avidyne. Tech support was extreemly repsonsive calling me back within 5 minutes. They shot me a list of data to collect from certain pages on the avidyne system pages.  I went back out to the airport to grab screenshots. I have attached what I found. 

When I called them back with the results they said there was an issue with the unit based on the blank LIO lines that would result in an avidyne dealer having to open the box to replace microsims. I asked if this was a known failure mode to which I was given a bit of a runaround about how "we wouldn't call it a known failure mode but we have seen it happen and have a 100% fix - although in speaking with our engineers the reason this happens is something too complex that I can't adequately explain it because I'm not a software person " (or some variation of that). 

Three concerns I had, 1) would this be a warranty repair- to which they said even if it was outside of warranty they would fix this for free 2) would it happen again? -no we've never had a repeat failure. 3) is something I'm doing causing this? - no there is no way you could have induced this failure. 

Headed to the shop hopefully next week to resolve. 

Thought I would post this here in case any fellow MS'rs found themselves with a similar failure. 

If anyone has more info or has seen this in the past and knows what's going on behind the scenes I would be really interested in a more in-depth explanation other than "software".

Thanks

MVIMG_20190107_163617.jpg

MVIMG_20190107_163623.jpg

MVIMG_20190107_163628.jpg

I also have an F model and the WIFI on my 440 goes green then white and never connects to anything.  New software and cards....no joy.  Avidyne was talking to me at first but now only my radio shop.  Frustrating!  They don't seem to have a clue as to the problem.  My radio guy is going over my Mooney now to see if he can find an issue.....but I have no faith.  Any new info??