Avidyne WiFi/BT Failure General Announcement

10 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

I'm in the process of researching and planning a panel makeover. This thread is a real eye opener. With all the issues Avidyne has been plagued with makes me steer clear and not spend any money on them. 

Before you jump to that conclusion, make sure you read all the problems that folks here have had with the GTN series from Garmin.

But most people do what they want in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Before you jump to that conclusion, make sure you read all the problems that folks here have had with the GTN series from Garmin.

But most people do what they want in the end.

I have not seen any such issues with the GTN. I'd love to read about them. Are there any threads you can reference? I agree most people do what they want in the end. I'd like to know what the benefits are of each. Avidyne and Garmin. Is there any advantage of one over the other? Seems to me Avidyne only offers a GPS box whereas Garmin has offerings for the entire panel with products that are fully compatible. Is that not a huge advantage?

Edited by m20kmooney

I’m in the same position as you- I don’t own either unit yet. A year or two ago there were a number of GTN issues with squelch, connectivity, and software updates talking to other products. They were all resolved. The Avidyne issues in the past have also been resolved. I’m betting these WiFi/BT issues will also get resolved. 

Garmin certainly offers a whole suite of products. For me- who will never progress beyond dual G5’s and a navigator (GPS)- I’m leaning toward the Avidyne IFD-440 as the better option for me. 

• Like 2

I have not seen any such issues with the GTN. I'd love to read about them. Are there any threads you can reference? I agree most people do what they want in the end. I'd like to know what the benefits are of each. Avidyne and Garmin. Is there any advantage of one over the other? Seems to me Avidyne only offers a GPS box whereas Garmin has offerings for the entire panel with products that are fully compatible. Is that not a huge advantage?

I’ll add a couple of GTN issues. The first was the infamous open squelch problem. I looked back at my logs and found 3 visits back to the shop to do firmware updates and adjusting setup parameters.

The second issue I had dealt with the Flightstream 510. I had communication issues between it, the GTN and Garmin Pilot (via iPad).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In spite of the one issue I've had with receiving weather on the IFD540, I'm contemplating buying the matching 440 to complete the set. I'm sure the issue I'm having is an installation issue and has nothing to do with the unit itself. 

I can also say I've never had an issue with either the wifi or bluetooth with my IFD540. It's been a rock solid, dependable unit. 

We were bouncing through some pretty strong mountain wave coming out of Durango a week ago and got a re-route instruction from ATC. The turbulence was rough enough to make it impossible to manipulate anything in the panel. But I just grabbed the bluetooth keyboard and easily entered the route change. A simple thing, but a really nice option to have.

In spite of the one issue I've had with receiving weather on the IFD540, I'm contemplating buying the matching 440 to complete the set. I'm sure the issue I'm having is an installation issue and has nothing to do with the unit itself. 
I can also say I've never had an issue with either the wifi or bluetooth with my IFD540. It's been a rock solid, dependable unit. 
We were bouncing through some pretty strong mountain wave coming out of Durango a week ago and got a re-route instruction from ATC. The turbulence was rough enough to make it impossible to manipulate anything in the panel. But I just grabbed the bluetooth keyboard and easily entered the route change. A simple thing, but a really nice option to have.

I’ve got the voice command with my Garmin 650. It lessens the work load considerably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I’ll add a couple of GTN issues. The first was the infamous open squelch problem. I looked back at my logs and found 3 visits back to the shop to do firmware updates and adjusting setup parameters.

The second issue I had dealt with the Flightstream 510. I had communication issues between it, the GTN and Garmin Pilot (via iPad).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

These are minor configuration “non” issues. I seem to recall Avidyne has some major issues with the G500. These can be a headaches that Garmin owners don’t seem to have. Does Avidyne have anything in the display dept as in pfd/mfd that would be compatible with their navigators? As Garmin does?

Edited by m20kmooney

These are minor configuration “non” issues. I seem to recall Avidyne has some major issues with the G500. These can be a headaches that Garmin owners don’t seem to have. Does Avidyne have anything in the display dept as in pfd/mfd that would be compatible with their navigators? As Garmin does?

“Non issues” that cost me $500 and my time to resolve. When you are paying $10k for a radio, it’s a little hard to swallow warranty work cost for something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

Even given the "issues", which I don't think are really that big in the scheme of things, I'm extremely happy with the IFD540 and would highly recommend it to anybody.

I don't think you can have modern integrated avionics installed without issues.   If you avoid something and pick something else because of the kinds of things we've been describing, you're just going to get that brand's "issues" instead.   Nobody can name an avionics company that doesn't have such problems.

I’ve had my 540 for some time now, never had a Garmin but flown with many of them in other planes. Prior in my Mooney  I only had a GX65 so my Avidyne was a fresh install. I LOVE IT!  Very easy to use, always rock solid and never a problem. 

Nothing against Garmin but Ill be adding another 540 to my RV -7. 

In a moment of clarity...  I wrote a list of all the things box makers have done wrong...

1) Then I organized it...

2) Put Numbers next to it...

3) It looked like a top ten list from any other day...

So I Let it sit, unsent for a dozen hours....

4) Then I saw the Avidyne boxes that Alan Fox listed for sale...  All that capability, for so few AMU...

5) Things that would help make my ship be 2020 ready...

6) Then I realized complaining about the box manufacturers gives us something to do on a really slow night... :)

7) Pick the one you like the most, today... write something good about them...

8) If something broke or doesn’t work, write about how you got it fixed...

9) Mom always said... ‘if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all...’

10) Mom must have wanted me to be a sales guy....

11) Keep in mind we get some support from the various box suppliers and installers.  If we bash them endlessly, they tend not to visit again...

12) Hey, that reminds me... if you want to promote the GTN... go to BT... that’s where big G prefers to lend an ear...  :)

13) Big G stopped visiting here for a reason... yes I know Trek and I know how to find him...

14) everybody has a bad day.  It’s how we overcome the issues is what counts...

15) imagine a box manufacturer’s bad day... they can last for months (or years) until a reliable fix can be enabled...

16) I look forward to the efforts companies put in to fix the problems that always arise...

Briefly, try to avoid bashing vendors and suppliers... it works against us as a community.

if you need to vent... add some clarity...   I’m only venting.... (A new MSer wrote this the other day...)

Thinking about the MS community today... we need each other, and the support we get from vendors...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Mr. R, my bad...   Beech Talk.  The place where Beech owners and pilots hang out...

We have a few vendors that like to spend time and effort at various type sites... it is a part of their sales and support effort.

I’m not familiar with any of the other type sites... every now and then a vendor will post something over there worth seeing.  Engine and avionics things that are identical to Mooney needs...

It would be really cool to get paid to converse on MS...:)

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

In a moment of clarity...  

So I’m clear. We can’t discuss any issues with a certain manufacturer ‘s box because it’s not pc and considered bashing? We can only talk about good things not problems? Is this MS according to Anthony? Is this the world according to Anthony? I’d be ok with that but you see Anthony, my momma told me do not be anybody’s fool. What kind of discussion would it be if we have to tippy-toe around problems and issues for fear a rep will be offended? Would that not be doing our community a disservice? I think you’re wrong. Manufacturers actually do want to hear from us. If some rep along the way gets offended that’s their problem and a discussion they need to have with their management. I’m clear now. Are you?

Edited by m20kmooney

Lucas,

I don’t think you understood my post.

Have no fear, there will be more that you won’t get either.

Often, I try to summarize things that are written.

Sometimes, I try to find connections between MSers and suppliers.

There isn’t a day that goes by where I welcome somebody to the community, and point them in a direction I Hope is helpful for them.

I have been on earth long enough to know that negative attitude won’t get me where I want to go...

It’s quite possible your idea of what works for you is perfect.

The OP brought forth a serious quality issue he is having with his Avidyne box. 

Sharing his observations with the community...

The community responded with supporting ideas... some have the same challenge, some don’t...

The thread is not about me... There is another thread for that...  you can find it pretty easily.

It is about getting support for this particular Avidyne challenge...

Keep in mind, I’m generally trying to be helpful... sometimes I don’t get it right.  I’ll goof up some spelling.  Use the wrong word...  but, I try pretty hard to get it right... doing the best I can with what I have...

MS has some great features... you can click a button and ignore me...  :)

Welcome aboard,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Lucas,

I don’t think you understood my post.

Have no fear, there will be more that you won’t get either.

Often, I try to summarize things that are written.

Sometimes, I try to find connections between MSers and suppliers.

There isn’t a day that goes by where I welcome somebody to the community, and point them in a direction I Hope is helpful for them.

I have been on earth long enough to know that negative attitude won’t get me where I want to go...

It’s quite possible your idea of what works for you is perfect.

The OP brought forth a serious quality issue he is having with his Avidyne box. 

Sharing his observations with the community...

The community responded with supporting ideas... some have the same challenge, some don’t...

The thread is not about me... There is another thread for that...  you can find it pretty easily.

It is about getting support for this particular Avidyne challenge...

Keep in mind, I’m generally trying to be helpful... sometimes I don’t get it right.  I’ll goof up some spelling.  Use the wrong word...  but, I try pretty hard to get it right... doing the best I can with what I have...

MS has some great features... you can click a button and ignore me...  :)

Welcome aboard,

-a-

I understood your post. You said "If we bash them endlessly, they tend not to visit again..." Someone had an issue with Avidyne. Someone else had an issue with Garmin. It's a discussion but according to you it's bashing. The only one being negative is you. I have a suggestion. How about we all, that includes you, try and advocate for us instead of the manufacturers. We pay them enough money don't you think? 

Edited by m20kmooney

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Lucas,

You and I are not on the same page.

feel free to contact me off line...

-a-

No we are not. But we don't need to be. And I will not click the ignore me button as you suggested. I don't believe we should ignore or shun those we disagree with.  

On 1/8/2019 at 8:35 PM, gsxrpilot said:

@LANCECASPER and @EricJ  I have the IFD540 with the AXP322R and SkyTrax100. I get traffic just fine, but I don't get any weather at all. And I've never gotten weather. No METAR's or anything. I've had two installers look at it and neither could find anything wrong. But neither could get Avidyne on the phone. 

I finally got Roland Galindo at Avidyne tech support but he said he could only talk to the avionics shop, not me.

I met and spoke with Bryan Kahl at Oshkosh. He said to call in when I got home and they'd work with me. I did, he referred me back to Roland again... there was one email asking for my phone number and availability. I responded and followed up several times, but I never heard back from anyone.

I'll try again next week when I'm back home with my plane.

gsxrpilot, I'm terribly sorry about this. I wasn't aware your issues had not been resolved and you were still waiting on my team to get back to you. When you are available, feel free to call my number below and I'll make sure we get you taken care of. If I'm unable to answer please leave a message and I will get back to you asap. There might be a reason we need to work with the dealer as some troubleshooting involves steps required by the shop. However, we will do what we can to help get this resolved. 

Best regards,

Bryan Kahl

Director of Customer Experience

321-751-8494

Bkahl@avidyne.com

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Bryan Kahl said:

gsxrpilot, I'm terribly sorry about this. I wasn't aware your issues had not been resolved and you were still waiting on my team to get back to you. When you are available, feel free to call my number below and I'll make sure we get you taken care of. If I'm unable to answer please leave a message and I will get back to you asap. There might be a reason we need to work with the dealer as some troubleshooting involves steps required by the shop. However, we will do what we can to help get this resolved. 

Best regards,

Bryan Kahl

Director of Customer Experience

321-751-8494

Bkahl@avidyne.com

@gsxrpilot

• Like 1

Being in the hospitality business all my life, I can usually placate a dissatisfied customer within moments. That being said, in the airplane industry that is usually not possible. The owner most likely has to exercise patience in her or his bid for satisfaction.

What gets to the hospitality industry the most, or at least the ones in the industry who care, are the folks that you bend over backwards for but they will not accept anything you say or do. There are people that just want to be dissatisfied and then make sure everyone else knows that they are dissatisfied. Though you can still value that person as a customer, you just have to accept there is no satisfaction with or for them. You just hope the people that they are complaining to, about you, knows there are always two sides to the coin.

Rant over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Being in the hospitality business all my life, I can usually placate a dissatisfied customer within moments. That being said, in the airplane industry that is usually not possible. The owner most likely has to exercise patience in her or his bid for satisfaction.

What gets to the hospitality industry the most, or at least the ones in the industry who care, are the folks that you bend over backwards for but they will not accept anything you say or do. There are people that just want to be dissatisfied and then make sure everyone else knows that they are dissatisfied. Though you can still value that person as a customer, you just have to accept there is no satisfaction with or for them. You just hope the people that they are complaining to, about you, knows there are always two sides to the coin.

Rant over

In my experience, it takes many, many, many satisfied customers to overcome the negative from one dissatisfied customer. I try to bear that in mind as I read people's complaints against any business. And I really try to be careful when I report a bad experience with a business.

• Like 3

The basic problem is people. Life would be much easier and more pleasant if we didn't have to deal with troublesome people. 

I've told a story many times because, at least to me, it's almost a proverb.

A now deceased friend of mine was the great amateur golfer Billy Joe Patton, a native of Morganton. Ask Ms. Google about him if you're under about 55.

Billy Joe was a lumber broker dealing with lumber producers and our NC furniture manufacturers. At some point he had a heart issue, perhaps a light heart attack. His doctor told him he needed to reduce the stress in his life. BJ thought about that and decided to quit doing business with the SOBs (BJ would not have abbreviated). Turns out sending about 5% of his troublesome suppliers and 5% of his troublesome customers elsewhere improved his health, his profitability, and maybe his putting. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Rant over

It may be a little different when a customer pays $19.99 for a sandwich he didn’t like vs. one paying $19900.00 for avionics that don’t work. And getting ignored on top of it! 

Edited by m20kmooney

Often times....

Let’s say.... a $20 problem is causing a $200k machine to not be working....

Simplified...

• a $20 thermal sensor, call it a thermistor...
  • Aviation qualified, is about 400$...
  • If it is on the MEL, it is required for flight.
  • If it is broken/worn out, the plane is no longer in AW condition.
  • Stress levels begin to rise...

We have choices....

1) We can put focus on getting the solution to the problem... (prioritizing things)

2) Employ the solution... (might cost some time and money up front)

3) Get something for the effort if possible...

4) I really appreciate David’s input on this one.  Working with so many people in a day gives some insight... how to work with other people, and other challenges that can be very similar in the end...

5) Selling/servicing Million dollar machinery is pretty similar... something will go wrong, the customer wants it right, somebody wants/needs to get it straightened out...   (things really get expensive if the idle machine gets in the way of making money)

6) Crummy attitude doesn’t usually move the ball forwards... If it does, know that a better attitude would have moved the ball even further... 

7) this comes from actual Observations from watching a wealthy process machine builder selling machinery to wealthy clientele...

8) Expect that we are always going to need each other... sometimes more, sometimes less....

9) One never knows what the future will bring...

10) The machine supplier always ordered from to different vendors when able... the buyer would buy machines from two different vendors when able... never all in on one resource....

Pick your favorite for today... report back in a decade if your favorite is still your favorite... so many things will change in a decade... 

I think i’m ready for a response, Lucas...  :)

Best regards,

-a-