Stupid Question to which i know the answer

McMooney

Recently had the following installed: gns480,  new pma8000g audio panel, (USED)md200-306 indicator and davtron thingy ( oat and voltage )

removed, kx170b, intercom, kma20, king ki-201c other bits and bobs

2nd flight out of the avionics shop, the OBS resolver stopped working.  I figured, that's what I get for ebaying airplane parts and purchased a brand new shiny cdi md200-706

well come to find out, the avionics shop hadn't secured the connector.  tightened, everything worked.

now, I have a brand new CDI in a box which I KNOW I should send back even with the restocking penalty.  pretty expensive

I know what I should do but what I want to do is remove the old cdi, sell it on ebay and install the new one.

talk me out of it

Recently had the following installed: gns480,  new pma8000g audio panel, (USED)md200-306 indicator and davtron thingy ( oat and voltage )
removed, kx170b, intercom, kma20, king ki-201c other bits and bobs
2nd flight out of the avionics shop, the OBS resolver stopped working.  I figured, that's what I get for ebaying airplane parts and purchased a brand new shiny cdi md200-706
well come to find out, the avionics shop hadn't secured the connector.  tightened, everything worked.
now, I have a brand new CDI in a box which I KNOW I should send back even with the restocking penalty.  pretty expensive
I know what I should do but what I want to do is remove the old cdi, sell it on ebay and install the new one.
talk me out of it

New is good. Old is bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

MidContinent MD200-306,  essential a garmin gi106a

This conversation is bringing back some memories from 2012. I was installing my first GPS, a GTN 650 and the conversation went something like this:

“Wow! $9500 plus installation for a Garmin 650! That seems like a lot. What kind of indicator comes with it?”

“None, that’s extra.”

“What?! Can I reuse my Bendix King CDI?”

“No, it won’t support the GPS function.”

“What will work with it?”

“A GI-106.”

“How much is that?”

“$2000 plus installation.”

“Just for a CDI?”

“Yep.”

This is how you get snowballed into this.

af752e8711cf875563217eef05d06f22.jpg

RUN MCMOONEY RUN!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

This conversation is bringing back some memories from 2012. I was installing my first GPS, a GTN 650 and the conversation went something like this:

“Wow! $9500 plus installation for a Garmin 650! That seems like a lot. What kind of indicator comes with it?”

“None, that’s extra.”

“What?! Can I reuse my Bendix King CDI?”

“No, it won’t support the GPS function.”

“What will work with it?”

“A GI-106.”

“How much is that?”

“$2000 plus installation.”

“Just for a CDI?”

“Yep.”

This is how you get snowballed into this.

af752e8711cf875563217eef05d06f22.jpg

RUN MCMOONEY RUN!

When we did the radio upgrade we installed a Sandel SN3308. The box costs 2 grand but it’s rhe same  as a Garmon indicator. The labor was a little more but it’s an HSI not a CDI. 

• Like 1