What's with posting videos of violating regs...?

gsxrpilot

I guess he didn’t have his breather tube on when he did this in 2016.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/08/velocity-xl-rg-n84kj-accident-occurred.html

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20161206X41447&key=1

BTW - near the end of the video they pan the cockpit. I don’t see ANY oxygen apparatus for either the pilot or passenger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Paul quoting the regs must have been the last straw. Funny he even acts like Jerry when someone points out his stupidity. “PULL THE VIDEO”.

Better than leaving it up and getting busted. I think there were a few things in that video that left something to be desired including flying through some clouds in their VFR departure.

I’m actually just a little bit impressed they were both awake and coherent at 19k’ without oxygen. 

11 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, I'd bet a tank of 100LL that there's no O2 onboard that airplane at all.

TUC at 18,000’ for an average 35 yo male acclimatized to sea level is only about 30 minutes.

that drops to below 5 minutes at 22K.

obviously Sherpa’s at Everest have proven a human can stay awake indefinitely at higher altitudes, if properly acclimated.... however the regulations are VERY clear on this matter- (non-pressurized)- above 12.5 (>30m) and above 14. Above 15 for passengers.

Edited by M016576
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, M016576 said:

TUC at 18,000’ for an average 35 yo male acclimatized to sea level is only about 30 minutes.

that drops to below 4 minutes at 22K.

obviously Sherpa’s at Everest have proven a human can stay awake indefinitely at higher altitudes, if properly acclimated.... however the regulations are VERY clear on this matter- (non-pressurized)- above 12.5 (>30m) and above 14. Above 15 for passengers.

In a funny twist of coincidence.  I was in Boulder, CO about a year ago and ordered an Uber car back to the airport on my way home.  Well I got to chatting with the driver, and asked where he was from because he had an accent.  He said he was from Nepal.  huh - I said wow I think Everest is interesting and I am amazed by the Sherpas.  He said he is Sherpa (which is how he said the phrase as both a name  like that and also family name), and that he had been up Everest several times.  Including once without O2.  He looked the part too, and I had no reason to doubt him.  That's not just 29k of altitude without o2 - that's physically highly stressing exercise climbing that mountain at no matter what altitude.  Put the two together and it is really amazing.  You meet the most interesting people sometimes.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mike Ropers said:

We had a friend who would, without fail, fall asleep at 7,000 feet.  

FWIW, my wife falls asleed at 500 agl without fail. Doesn't matter if that 500mls or 5,000mls.  She says the droning hum of the engine puts her to sleep. :P

I spent a few days in Cusco at 11,152' back in October.  It was interesting.  I would find myself sitting idle and just start gasping for air like I had been running.  I guess my normal breathing rate wasn't fast enough for the higher altitude.  With some strain, fast walking, carrying my bags up stairs, etc, you could get light headed really quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

In a funny twist of coincidence.  I was in Boulder, CO about a year ago and ordered an Uber car back to the airport on my way home.  Well I got to chatting with the driver, and asked where he was from because he had an accent.  He said he was from Nepal.  huh - I said wow I think Everest is interesting and I am amazed by the Sherpas.  He said he is Sherpa (which is how he said the phrase as both a name  like that and also family name), and that he had been up Everest several times.  Including once without O2.  He looked the part too, and I had no reason to doubt him.  That's not just 29k of altitude without o2 - that's physically highly stressing exercise climbing that mountain at no matter what altitude.  Put the two together and it is really amazing.  You meet the most interesting people sometimes.

That's pretty much how it's said in many languages - no indefinite article. One would not say, "I am an English," or "I am a French", but "I am English" (or "I am an Englishman," putting the adjective and the noun together) or "I am French".

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bob865 said:

FWIW, my wife falls asleed at 500 agl without fail. Doesn't matter if that 500mls or 5,000mls.  She says the droning hum of the engine puts her to sleep. :P

I spent a few days in Cusco at 11,152' back in October.  It was interesting.  I would find myself sitting idle and just start gasping for air like I had been running.  I guess my normal breathing rate wasn't fast enough for the higher altitude.  With some strain, fast walking, carrying my bags up stairs, etc, you could get light headed really quickly.

Oxygen is funny.  I was in Cusco for two days, and only had some mild exercise intolerance, so I figured a week in New Mexico around 7,000' would be no sweat.  After four days, though, I started having palpitations, night sweats and headaches.

I should point out that above a certain altitude (something like 25k'), if you breath harder or faster than normal, in a weird physiological quirk, you actually become MORE hypoxic.  I don't recall the physiological details, though, but I think that's part of why it's called the 'death zone'.  The normal physiological response actually makes you progressively worse.

• Like 1

Hanging out comfortably at FL190 without O2 takes some serious acclimation in advance.  His coherence in the video doesn't make total sense to me, although hypoxia may help explain why he seems pretty chill about picking up a lot of ice in the climb :P

• Haha 1

Hanging out comfortably at FL190 without O2 takes some serious acclimation in advance.  His coherence in the video doesn't make total sense to me, although hypoxia may help explain why he seems pretty chill about picking up a lot of ice in the climb 

“It’s all cool dude!”

• Confused 1

Better than leaving it up and getting busted. I think there were a few things in that video that left something to be desired including flying through some clouds in their VFR departure.
I’m actually just a little bit impressed they were both awake and coherent at 19k’ without oxygen. 

If they are leaving an airport in class G airspace, can’t they fly in to imc if you’re on a IFR flight plan? It’s on you to stay clear of objects? Till you get into controlled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, bob865 said:

When we got there in 2002, they fed us this tea brew and we had a nap that afternoon.  Vaso dilator.  Woke up great the next day and never had any problems for the rest of the week. Chinchero is at 12,500' or so.

They seem remarkably unimpaired for 19K and no oxygen.  I know my own body pretty well from spending spending time exploring and the mountains of CA and CO on foot.   I am not very susceptible to hypoxia (relative to others I've back packed with).  I do not get the symptoms that some others experience in the low teens no matter if I'm in good shape or have been riding a couch for 6 months.  As a passenger I have experimented in the cockpit.  Mild impairment is noticeable for me at DAs around 16K.  I think at 19K it would be very noticeable especially on camera.  I looked for evidence of impairment in these guys and did not see it.  They were clearly not in compliance with the regs, but I find it hard to believe that they spent the entire trip at 19k (with excursions to 21K) without any O2.  One could conceivably maintain adequate sats with a mouth tube if they were vigilant.  I saw no evidence of a pulse oximeter in the video either so who knows if they were monitoring sats.

• Like 1

A fellow flatlander pal had active hypoxia when his O2 line developed a kind at 18K.  Are we honestly certain captain Youtube actually went up to 19K, and isn't just shining us on?  Being that high VFR is just as illegal as  not having the O2.

Edited by steingar
  • Like 2