On this day...

gsxrpilot

9 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

You might laugh at me, but Paul I think you should try and break the record.... I have no doubt you would never let your plane end up like that!

Hey, I'd love to give it a shot. I'd have to start a GoFund me here on MooneySpace to get extended tanks installed.

Or I guess I could borrow Brian Lloyds ferry tank.

• Like 1

Hey, I'd love to give it a shot. I'd have to start a GoFund me here on MooneySpace to get extended tanks installed.

Start it up, I’ll be the first to donate. I bet you could get a shot to donate the work of installing the tanks. If Brian would let you use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

One of the important things to do... follow in the foot steps of John Paul...

John did a really good job selecting the weather to get the strongest tailwinds possible to cross the country... 

MS has a good weather guy that could really help make this work... :)

PP thinking out loud...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

One of the important things to do... follow in the foot steps of John Paul...
John did a really good job selecting the weather to get the strongest tailwinds possible to cross the country... 
MS has a good weather guy that could really help make this work... 
PP thinking out loud...
Best regards,
-a-

That’s how the guy in the E model made it from coast to coast with strong tail winds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

That’s how the guy in the E model made it from coast to coast with strong tail winds.

"The guy in the E model" is John Paul. See Anthony's post . . . . San Diego to Savannah non-stop! Much longer time than I would care to spend in any plane without two aisles to walk around in.

• Like 1

"The guy in the E model" is John Paul. See Anthony's post . . . . San Diego to Savannah non-stop! Much longer time than I would care to spend in any plane without two aisles to walk around in.

That’s the gentleman. It took him two tries from what I remember?

31 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

That’s the gentleman. It took him two tries from what I remember?

Yes. His story of talking to ABQ, filed for SAV and diverting for somewhere in Nor Cal was pretty funny. Winds weren't as forecast and he realized he wouldn't make it.

• Like 1

Johns weather window lasted about a week or so... the first attempt, I believe, resulted in a come back next year, to get the job done... his trips defined Mooney efficiency...

If doing a repeat, or a speedier 252 run...  

• Precision fuel level sensors would be extra good... (Cies)
  • extended range tanks are a natural for a super long distance Mooney...(Monroy)
  • A really good engine monitor in place of the usual analog devices... (JPI, EI, or Insight :))
  • GPS integrated with the fuel data... constantly letting you know fuel on board, and fuel required to destination....
  • cruising LOP in the FLs.... that's just an extra nice side benefit!
  • A handful of other things would be nice... Mountain High O2 bits and pieces...
  • ADSB in weather/wind at altitude info or XM...
  • satelite receiver to get MS in the FLs... and WeatherSpork...

Jolie’s friend does some interesting global flights, his plane is covered in sponsor decals....

Maybe something to be learned from his sponsor experience...

Or doing a full speed Mooney run... get one good fuel sponsor...  :)

How far can you go with 130gallon tanks?

Getting the sponsors on board requires some good story writing in publications like AOPA and other pilot magazines... MS has two writers of this quality and experience....

does that generate a few ideas?

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

If doing a repeat, or a speedier 252 run...  

• Precision fuel level sensors would be extra good... (Cies) Done
  • extended range tanks are a natural for a super long distance Mooney...(Monroy) Needed
  • A really good engine monitor in place of the usual analog devices... (JPI, EI, or Insight :)) Done
  • GPS integrated with the fuel data... constantly letting you know fuel on board, and fuel required to destination.... Done
  • cruising LOP in the FLs.... that's just an extra nice side benefit! Done
  • A handful of other things would be nice... Mountain High O2 bits and pieces... Done
  • ADSB in weather/wind at altitude info or XM... Done
  • satelite receiver to get MS in the FLs... and WeatherSpork... Needed

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Another reason you have a shot at it is that N252AD is certified to FL280 where the winds may be stronger. (Of course Eastbound you'd be at FL270)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Another reason you have a shot at it is that N252AD is certified to FL280 where the winds may be stronger. (Of course Eastbound you'd be at FL270)

I would love to take a crack at it. I've read Jonathan's account of his flight several times. This type of flying is interesting to me.

• 2 years later...

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/teledyne-continental-tsio-360-gb-1/

this record breaker is actually listed for sale presently. The owner didn’t k ow about the record.  
(The one in the lead pic is. It the plane that broke the record)

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/202016847/1979-mooney-m20k-231-piston-single-aircraft