New to forum, re-starting my PPL

mstephenson51

Hello,  Oklahoma resident.  Did about 30 hrs towards my license and had to put it on hold about 17 yrs ago.  Looking to get back in, and still LOVE the mooney!

If anyone in OKC wants to go flying lemme know.  THX for having me here!  I'll be trolling the threads and classifieds.

• Like 1

I had a similarly long hiatus - had about 40 hrs and almost got my license and then we started having kids... started back up about 16 years later and got my ppl and then bought a Mooney.

do you already own a Mooney?  I feel like getting my PPL in a 172 and then transitioning to a Mooney was the best way to go for me...but I’m sure others here can point to someone who has done all their training and checkride in a Mooney so it’s all just personal preference.

good luck and pm me if you need any PPL resources.  

We have two interesting threads that were written by people learning to fly... extensive, day by day, well written kinds of threads...

The one written by Skates, was really good as it worked out to the end goal of owning and flying a Mooney....

Often, Training is best handled by flying somebody else’s trainer... as personally owned Mooneys aren’t very good at being slow and compliant... and insurance companies don’t want you to be training in a 150mph vehicle... they show you this with the annual insurance rate...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Sounds like you did exactly how I will be doing it....  Did my 30-35 hrs in a 172.  Prob finish in a 172 and then look for my first mooney.  One can only move out of the way of those hot rods so many times before you start saying, "man, I need one."

Waiting to buy until I get a better feel on my annual hours.  Might stay renting a while, might seek out a fractional, if I fly enough I'll get my own.

On 1/6/2019 at 8:55 PM, carusoam said:

We have two interesting threads that were written by people learning to fly... extensive, day by day, well written kinds of threads...

The one written by Skates, was really good as it worked out to the end goal of owning and flying a Mooney....

Often, Training is best handled by flying somebody else’s trainer... as personally owned Mooneys aren’t very good at being slow and compliant... and insurance companies don’t want you to be training in a 150mph vehicle... they show you this with the annual insurance rate...

Best regards,

-a-

I loved all of my training for my PPL, and was glad I was doing it in something slower than a Mooney, and something that didn't belong to me.

The brain only works so fast and it takes time and repetition for it to become acclimated to new tasks so that it can then take on additional and more complex tasks. Learning things at 110 mph in a Cherokee is easier than at 150+ in a Mooney. 

• Like 2

I took 7 years off and restarted flying last March. I had 226 hours and at the train me was close to my commercial. End of July bought myself a Mooney. Best decision (also most financially irresponsible ) I ever made. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marauder said:

And retired...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Really wish  sometimes @gsxrpilot had told me buying a plane was the dumbest thing to ever do and not dare think of doing it. 

On that note he didn’t. Owning a Mooney has made me happieR than I’ve  been in ages.  @mstephenson51 where in Oklahoma are you? I’d happily fly up from DFW and take you for a ride. Could even fly you back down to DFW and give you a tour of American Airlines mission control center. As a 17 year old, I’m  Fairly confident your eyes will fall out of,socket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bill98 said:

Really wish  sometimes @gsxrpilot had told me buying a plane was the dumbest thing to ever do and not dare think of doing it. 

On that note he didn’t. Owning a Mooney has made me happieR than I’ve  been in ages.  @mstephenson51 where in Oklahoma are you? I’d happily fly up from DFW and take you for a ride. Could even fly you back down to DFW and give you a tour of American Airlines mission control center. As a 17 year old, I’m  Fairly confident your eyes will fall out of,socket. 

17 yrs since flying....  ;0)  but yeah Id love to hop around in a mooney some time!  Im about 5 mins from KOUN in Norman, OK.  And no, I'm not an OU fan.  HAHAHA

Few years back I had a boss that actually owned a small airline based in Chicago.  He said he owned like 8-10 jets or something.  Long story short, I know owning a plane is a really bad move financially, but hey its fun.  So now I have to decide if I am going to fly enough to own one.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:38 PM, mstephenson51 said:

Hello,  Oklahoma resident.  Did about 30 hrs towards my license and had to put it on hold about 17 yrs ago.  Looking to get back in, and still LOVE the mooney!

If anyone in OKC wants to go flying lemme know.  THX for having me here!  I'll be trolling the threads and classifieds.

Welcome. Good luck. 

2 hours ago, mstephenson51 said:

17 yrs since flying....  ;0)  but yeah Id love to hop around in a mooney some time!  Im about 5 mins from KOUN in Norman, OK.  And no, I'm not an OU fan.  HAHAHA

Few years back I had a boss that actually owned a small airline based in Chicago.  He said he owned like 8-10 jets or something.  Long story short, I know owning a plane is a really bad move financially, but hey its fun.  So now I have to decide if I am going to fly enough to own one.

As long as it isn’t March or april Norman is 1:15 away. I’m not going anywhere near Norman during F5 tornado season!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 11:38 PM, mstephenson51 said:

Same boat, first baby on the way but I will try to finish it.

• Confused 1

I'm in the same situation as well. Back from a 19 year break when I stopped at around 38 hours. I started back in October and I'm in check ride prep mode now. Plan is to start looking for a nice F or J once I get a few hours logged post PPL and perhaps post complex endorsement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I kind of went through primary twice.   I started, then got to christmas season and was not having fun.   Started in Feb the next year, Finished in December.  What I enjoyed most was the learning.   Learning what all the knobs and buttons did and mastery of the material.   I found that it took about 70 hours to get the flows down and feel good in the Mooney.  In WWII the fighter pilots did not get that much time before they were put in a P-51

• Like 1

One day while puttering around the county, I got Al the Mooney all slowed down.  You could feel it was poking along, felt slow....   Looked down and saw that I was doing 110knots.   I was thinking this is as slow as a cessna 172 is fast.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yetti said:

One day while puttering around the county, I got Al the Mooney all slowed down.  You could feel it was poking along, felt slow....   Looked down and saw that I was doing 110knots.   I was thinking this is as slow as a cessna 172 is fast.

The Cessna 172s I trained in rarely saw 110 KIAS . . . 

Later, giving rides on Airport Day, I ran 2300 and about 15-16" to hang back with them and not overtake the one in front of me. I  have flown my C with the stall horn buzzing, turning the directions the CFI beside me wanted to go for several minutes. Fun times! Especially seeing the look on their face to discover that a Mooney is gentle and docile well below pattern speed.  :lol:

On 1/6/2019 at 10:38 PM, mstephenson51 said:

Did about 30 hrs towards my license and had to put it on hold about 17 yrs ago.  Looking to get back in, and still LOVE the mooney!

Thanks for giving me an opening. My story is a bit different, but close enough.

I earned my wings in 1986 (PPL) and then career got in the way and I didn't fly for close to twenty years. By then my career had stabilized, kids grown along with bank account, etc., so I went down to the local muni, found a CFI with a raggedy "circus pony" 172 and got current after about six hours.

Then I bought me a Mooney. A Super Mooney. Oh what a feeling! I've been to Mach 0.32 in her, try that with a Cessgnat :P

So, hang in there and good luck. Totally doable. Don't look back.

PS

After buying my E I did 10 hours with a Mooney CFI to get insurance OK. That was ten of the best hours of my life--had a ball and flew all over Central Texas. Good times.

• Like 2

Nothing at all against CFI's so please do not take this negatively.  I respect their level of training and what it took to get to that position.  Personally I've found some of them, not all qualified to teach, but in all honesty not having the knowledge or the precision to dive into the Mooney's details.  I suggest you look for a person with some significant Mooney PIC time to mentor you on the nuances, most likely not known by a CFI with a 100 or so hours in type. So..... just saying this person (your CFI) can teach maybe a long-shot.  He can get you comfortable and  hopefully and past the insurance company!  Although I do not find the Mooney to be a difficult to fly airplane it is a Numbers machine. Respect the numbers!