M20E needs adjustment to door alignment

McMooney

Oh. Our plane has no name like that. However.  You can adjust the latch mechanism inside the dpor a little bit we had to build up the skin with epoxy and microballoons to make it flush with the skin of the door. The air there is some of the highest local velocity on the entire aircraft.  There is a lot of cabin noise and drag to be reduced by fairing the skin with the door. 

99650E4E-6BD2-4A19-ADB7-1202585C5958.jpeg

Then figure out how old birdy is...

Birdy might have two latch points, and one might not be working so well...

Look for a ball and claw type arrangement up by where the door isn’t fitting so well.

Are you seeing a gap while on the ground, or only in the air?

PP thoughts and guesses only...

Best regards,

-a-

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Then figure out how old birdy is...

Birdy might have two latch points, and one might not be working so well...

Look for a ball and claw type arrangement up by where the door isn’t fitting so well.

Are you seeing a gap while on the ground, or only in the air?

PP thoughts and guesses only...

Best regards,

-a-

On the ground, it seems like the frame and door don't quite fit together.  I'll take pictures next time i'm at airport.

23 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Oh. Our plane has no name like that. However.  You can adjust the latch mechanism inside the dpor a little bit we had to build up the skin with epoxy and microballoons to make it flush with the skin of the door. The air there is some of the highest local velocity on the entire aircraft.  There is a lot of cabin noise and drag to be reduced by fairing the skin with the door. 

99650E4E-6BD2-4A19-ADB7-1202585C5958.jpeg

Hmm, would rather fix the door but this sounds like a possibility.   How long did it take?

Did you notice a speed improvement?  I'm thinking it's atleast worth a few knots

Adjust the door and optimize that. But often the door skin leading edge is higher than the cabin skin forward of it. You can’t really shrink the door. So you build up the skin a little. Idk about any speed improvement but it is quieter without all that air being rammed into the door gap. 

More photos.  

D3BA2900-E6D2-49E8-BF73-4B63C7332908.jpeg

0A091789-74E5-4CAE-88F8-95816B3C4957.jpeg

29B37E83-53D5-4B6A-A2F0-02F1742E8F2D.jpeg

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

I’ve had major issues with my door ie 5-6 doors seals, numerous adjustments, I just ha DMax replace the hinge and realign, my second door hinge. It’s now about 90% ok looks ok, only minor door noise after completely pumped up, I’ll add a little foam then live with it, BTW door rebuild is 3-5 G’s depending on who does it. The only major issue with my Bravo in it’s 13 yr life