Throttle Linkage - more advice?

Hey folks - ME AGAIN...

So I still have yet to fly my new to me '67 M20F...  lots of bad weather, finding CII time, etc...

So... when the plane was delivered ~ 12/4... there was an issue with the throttle linkage in the the throttle wouldn't go out enough to slow the engine... I had the local A&p check in out and per him - he "re-crimped it"...

Gorgeous weather here in NC this weekend, got a GREAT new CFI with 2000+ hours in a Mooney...Fired her up yesterday afternoon - and you guess it - we couldn't get the throttle below 14-1500 RPM...

So - is this something I can fix myself?  I was a good boy and read about throttle cables and it could need to be replaced?  I guess I'm looking for advice from some experienced members on the linkage and how simple this might be to do - i certainly don't want to have it go south and to have to kill the engine to land it!

Welcome any and all thoughts... 

Thank you...

Joe

Edited by joekinnc

1 hour ago, joekinnc said:

Hey folks - ME AGAIN...

So I still have yet to fly my new to me '67 M20F...  lots of bad weather, finding CII time, etc...

So... when the plane was delivered ~ 12/4... there was an issue with the throttle linkage in the the throttle wouldn't go out enough to slow the engine... I had the local A&p check in out and per him - he "re-crimped it"...

Gorgeous weather here in NC this weekend, got a GREAT new CFI with 2000+ hours in a Mooney...Fired her up yesterday afternoon - and you guess it - we couldn't get the throttle below 14-1500 RPM...

So - is this something I can fix myself?  I was a good boy and read about throttle cables and it could need to be replaced?  I guess I'm looking for advice from some experienced members on the linkage and how simple this might be to do - i certainly don't want to have it go south and to have to kill the engine to land it!

Welcome any and all thoughts... 

Thank you...

Joe

Where in NC are you located.  Sounds like it may be time for a Mooney specific A&P to take a look.  @AGL Aviationis at KMRN north of Charlotte.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Did the AP not even bother to check his work by starting the engine?

A man like that is far and few between.  I have seen airline mechanics relamp landing lights etc and just walk away without checking and sign off logbook....what do you think you will find in the GA world?

• Like 1

What is most likely happening is the hollow tube with the ball on it is coming out of its socket when you go to full throttle. After it comes out of its socket it won’t go back in and won’t allow you to go back to idle. 

You have to rig it so it doesn’t push the cable apart at full throttle.

If you were here I could fix it in about 15 minutes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You got to be kidding? Throttle cables are not Mooney specific. Did the AP not even bother to check his work by starting the engine? I would not go back to that mechanic.

Tom

Quite possibly the A&P thinks like me where I won’t do an engine run on someone else’s aircraft. I get the owner to do the engine runs. I’m not willing to take on that extra liability as I have enough already. 

David

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

What is most likely happening is the hollow tube with the ball on it is coming out of its socket when you go to full throttle. After it comes out of its socket it won’t go back in and won’t allow you to go back to idle. 

N201MKTurbo - come on over!!  Can you share more details - so at least i can sound intelligent to my A&P?? if fixed I could fly this week!!!

Joe,

First add a location to your avatar.... it helps people who want to help you...

Next, check your log books to find out how old your controls are...

Nothing worse than engine controls not working in flight... they can fail in either direction, or just stay where they are...

Fortunately replacing control cables is pretty easy... McFarland is the key word to search... and a few other spellings of the same name...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=McFarland

Yes, this is ordinary mechanic type of work...

But, if you go to @AGL Aviation you get to work with a Mooney knowledgeable mechanic and MSer...

Get to know your mechanic with simple jobs... get to rely on your mechanic for more complex jobs...

If the cable that isn’t working correctly has more than 2000 hours on it... don’t feel bad about starting with a fresh one...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

It could be as Rich is describing, the telescoping end of the cable wears and will disengage, or the clamps securing the cable are wrong/ broken.  This is pretty basic stuff for any competent maintainer.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

14 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

N201MKTurbo - come on over!!  Can you share more details - so at least i can sound intelligent to my A&P??

1 hour ago, AGL Aviation said:

AGL Aviation emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@joekinnc, you might just call Lynn Mace at the AGL number above. I can understand that you do not want to fly the plane here until the throttle issue is resolved but Lynn can help you point your A&P to possible problems and you well might want to get acquainted with AGL for future work on your Mooney. We're less than an hour away and AGL is the only MSC (Mooney Service Center) in the Carolinas.  

32 minutes ago, joekinnc said:

N201MKTurbo - come on over!!  Can you share more details - so at least i can sound intelligent to my A&P??

I don't have time to make pictures with circles and arrows. If the cable hits a hard stop, like the end of travel of the throttle linkage on the fuel injector servo before the knob in the cabin is all the way in and the pilot pushes the control in the cockpit in hard against the stop, the cable will bunch up in the engine end and push the ball out of its socket on the telescopic end of the cable. There are two fixes, tell the pilot to quit pushing so hard on the throttle control, or re-rig the cable at the servo so it hits full throttle at the same time the knob in the cockpit is all the way in.

The fact that your A&P said he re-crimped the cable makes me think the ball came out of the socket because it is held in by a crimp.

19 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

I have seen airline mechanics relamp landing lights etc and just walk away without checking and sign off logbook....

This has not been my experience in the slightest.  Jim, you may need to get yourself to a different airline.  IIRC, you recently changed.  Hopefully the new one is better run?  Or was it just one individual?

I would not think running the engine would induce the failure mode, but moving the throttle cable (without the engine running)  10 times would be enough to determine if it was "fixed".   It's simple mechanical stuff.    Is there not also a throttle cable SB with new and old style ends?