Anti-chafe tape

PT20J

I'm looking for a good abrasion resistant tape -- either white or transparent -- to use on the gear doors, cowling, flaps, etc. I have used the teflon tape from Spruce in the past https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/teflonantichafetape.php but it doesn't stick very well and is pretty expensive. I was thinking of using uhmw-pe tape, but the 3M 54XX tapes are not listed as UV resistant and, unless treated, uhmw-pe material breaks down under UV (per Emco Plastics, manufacturer of uhmw-pe plastics: Sun without protection – depends on thickness and location. The thicker the better. In Florida, Arizona, New Mexico, and other desert areas – less than one year.) Of course, many areas are no continuously exposed to the sun, so maybe the UV resistance doesn't matter. 

Anyone found anything good?

Skip

Hypertech,

Reviewing What you posted....

Then Comparing with other experience...

1) Acrylic is what are windows are made of... they don’t resist much UV at all, until being tinted, then they degrade in the sunshine over time... unless covered...

2) UHMW is noted in the McMaster link... which is typically Ultra High Molecular Weight PE...   it does say that it’s adhesive is acrylic...

3) Do you have experience with that tape?  Because UHMWPE probably works pretty well.  Any color it gets will have been added...

4) notes on Teflon and similar tapes... their nonsticky-ness makes it a challenge to use adhesives on... But, their high temperature resistance is really good...

5) Back to the OP... why are you selecting Teflon?  Slippery, soft, hard to adhere, easy to damage, chemical resistance, expensive.... what makes this a good idea?

6) wouldn’t UHMWPE be better... Tough, smooth, lots of generic uses because of good adhesion... comes in multiple colors can have UV resistance added to it, and is low cost...

:)

PP thoughts only, not a taper...

Best regards,

-a-

I’ve used the PTEF fiberglass tape. It sticks way better than the white roll of ptef plastic tape. 

Comes with a peel back. I had it on our Citation gear doors, baggage doors, anywear two piece of aluminum or paint rubbed. 

The plastic Teflon tape just doesn’t hold up.

https://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/tapes-with-psa/rd-grade-ptfe-coated-tape-silicone-adhesive

-Matt

• Like 1

We were all typing at the same time... :)

PTFE is naturally bright white... uses a Sodium treatment to treat the surface... causing a funky brownish color on the adhesive side...

PVF like PVC, has only one F molecule for every two C molecules... kind of like a chemical blend of polyethylene and Teflon....

then there is PVdF more F, less PE...

Since the high temperature, slipperiness, chemical resistance are not typically the need... go with something more pedestrian.... but good for what you do need...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, MB65E said:

I’ve used the PTEF fiberglass tape. It sticks way better than the white roll of ptef plastic tape. 

Comes with a peel back. I had it on our Citation gear doors, baggage doors, anywear two piece of aluminum or paint rubbed. 

The plastic Teflon tape just doesn’t hold up.

https://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/tapes-with-psa/rd-grade-ptfe-coated-tape-silicone-adhesive

-Matt

Thanks for that. I've uses the tape from spruce, and everyone's right about it not sticking well.  

Thanks, everyone. I'm currently thinking of using the fiberglass PTFE tape or the 3M 5421 UHMW tape (which is what Mooney uses) on the cowling. For the top leading edge of the flaps where there is some minor rubbing against the wing, I'm thinking of using 3M Polyurethane tape  which is UV resistant and specified for helicopter rotor leading edges. 

Skip

Polyurethane is the opposite of PTFE...

It can be sticky/grippy. Unlike the slipperiness of TFE...

It can be really tough... and quite rubbery/ stretchy... impact resistant in thick enough layers...

It likes to stick to itself naturally...

In the automotive world, the clear ‘bras’ were PU tape /decals... when left too long out in the sun and heat... they were impossible to remove and looked crappy too...  the intention was to keep road FOD from directly impacting and chipping the paint...

polymer thoughts only, not a mechanic... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1