'78 J POH New Binder?

Peter Rejto

Is there a good way to replace the original POH Binder? My '78 J manual is in terrible shape having split front and back covers. And, the content is now larger than the original binder can hold. I probably could just buy a replacement binder at an office supply store but it won't have the look or feel of the original. I'm sure this must come up now and again.

Thanks,

Peter

N201CM

rom

Be happy! My pages are simply folded in half and stapled, all 90-odd pages . . . . If it tears up, I lose actual pages of infor ation, not jjst covers. This is why I retyped mist of the Performance Tables and put them in my checklist. The less I handle the original booklet, the longer it will last.

Is there a good way to replace the original POH Binder? My '78 J manual is in terrible shape having split front and back covers. And, the content is now larger than the original binder can hold. I probably could just buy a replacement binder at an office supply store but it won't have the look or feel of the original. I'm sure this must come up now and again.

I just replaced it with:
Avery Mini Durable Binder for 5.5 x 8.5 Inch Pages, 2-Inch Round Ring, Black, 1 Binder (27554) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006HV8V2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1OrmCb4XG7XNY

Tom

Thank you all for your responses and ideas. I will look for something when I'm next in the USA. Getting anything to fit in Australia is quite hopeless (as are shipping rates from the USA).

Peter

Edited by Peter Rejto

I bought a thick (2") three ring binder at the office store. I got one with sleeves on the outside. Then I took a razor knife and sliced the cover off the original POH binder and slid it into the sleeve on the front of the new binder. I actually did the same with the label on the spine. That and a packet of the little reinforcement rings to stick on the pages that are starting to tear out.

Someday I'll scan it to PDF and put it on my tablet.

Our office supply superstore.... went on line... then combined... then got bought out....

They have an Australian arm of the business.... Winc...

Staples, Office Depot, Sycamore partners....

Their website doesn’t work here... but maybe, you might have better luck...

https://www.winc.com.au:8086/services/what-we-offer/products-and-solutions/office-products/

Best regards,

-a-

My original (cert.copy) is pretty trashed and it stays on the hat rack, I spent a few nights screwing around and re-typed into 1/2 sheet format, then got a nice leather bound zippered 7-ring day-minder and pitched its contents. Wife works nights and I was caught up on my MooneySpace reading...:)

If you just need a binder - Staples, OfficeMax etc. for a plain generic binder. The original is a standard size. If you want a real Mooney binder, bet you could order one from LASAR or your favorite MSC. Probably $$$. Don’t get the entire POH - just the binder.

It’s a good idea to copy the content for a backup. Better yet to scan it if you have a scanner. Scan your logbooks, too. If you hand the original to FedEx Office or similar and ask them to copy it they may refuse due to the copyright notice. But, in my experience, they don’t much care what you copy yourself if you use the self service machines. 

A little Googling will find generic POH online - here’s one. You can just add your airplane specific pages. 

Skip

M20J POH3203B.pdf

On 1/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, bradp said:

I just used duct tape 

+1

On 1/5/2019 at 1:53 PM, rangermb said:

I scanned mine into .pdf files and have them on my tablet. One file per chapter. Rarely look at the actual book now.

and +1. I optimized my POH scan so that it is searchable as well. My actual POH stays in a zipped up tablet cover and kept in the plane at the bottom of my cargo area basket. I also created a supplemental POH to house the GTN, GTX, EDM-900 documentation and STC literature with a generic white binder and dividers that are also included in my scanned POH. The scanned POH lives on my iPad and google drive, so I can download / share it whenever I need to. What year is your J? Mine is an 84. I can PM my scanned copy if you'd like. 

Mike @rangermb, I scanned it to .pdf with a copier. I then edited the scan with Adobe Acrobat Pro to make it searchable. If you don't have the software but can scan the POH to .pdf, I may be able to help with making it searchable by sending it to me. Let me know with a PM if interested.

Tom @ArtVandelay, do you have links and are any of them for a 77?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jonhop said:

Tom @ArtVandelay, do you have links and are any of them for a 77?

There's a 1977 J POH in the Downloads section of Mooneyspace. Go to the homepage, look up top, click on Downloads then Pilot Operating Handbooks.

I'd love for the .pdf to my 1970 C become searchable!

Remember to match the POH Number to the aircraft serial number.   e.g., the early Js are POH 1220 up to SN 24-0377.    I believe the latest rev of 1220 is 1220G.   If that's not the one on Mooneyspace there are copies available elsewhere out there on the intartubes.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:11 PM, Peter Rejto said:

I found a pretty nice (used) leather 3 ring (1.5") binder on ebay and had it shipped to Tucson where I will be at the end of February.  Thanks all for the very helpful comments!

Peter

Yes, go to Ebay and look for "leather daytimer binder"IMG_1559.thumb.jpg.2fb117b3ab124d65d9ff300496c1bd3f.jpg

IMG_1560.thumb.jpg.e54750d1c15fce8088a2437b575873d3.jpg

• Like 1