Fuel Flow Gauge

My Mooney just finished its annual, but when I started it, the Fuel Flow read zero.  I took it back to my mechanic, but we could not find anything obviously wrong, (i.e. loose wire, plug not attached, etc.).  He said it was fine during their last test run. 

Has this ever happened to you?  Any suggestions?

Fuel flow sensors are usually paddle wheels in the fuel line... the wheel has a magnet imbedded in it. The sensor picks up the magnet passing by... it sends pulses to the gauge... the gauge is just a counter/multiplier that displays the count adjusted by the K-factor to indicate FF...

next steps...?

• test the system by sending a signal in place of the sensor...
  • or wash out the paddle wheel... and test the system...
  • cleaning the paddle wheel/sensor is probably a worthwhile idea every now and then...

what maintenance related activity would affect the FF gauge?  Was any of the fuel system opened or adjusted during the annual?

Doesn’t sound highly maintenance related...

Pp ideas that come to mind... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I had the same experience. It was intermittent for a couple of weeks. I checked all  connections and ground.  Finally I removed  the transducer and soaked and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner as per suggestion on this site. . I gently washed some carburetor fluid  backwards through the transducer.  It has been working flawlessly since then. 

• Like 1