Prop Srike question

Arthur

My recently purchased j had a prop strike last year, with a full tear down inspection. Crank was found to be OK, but cam was reground. I would not have purchased without the teardown. As stated above, the risk is the introduction of cracks that can grow over time due to fatigue until a brittle fracture occurs during flight.
For those who think a tear down is not required, ask yourself what rate of failure due to an uninspected strike would be acceptable to you, 1:30? 1:60? 1:100? If you find 100 pilots still flying behind an uninspected crank after a strike, does that really tell you anything useful?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Nippernaper said:

My recently purchased j had a prop strike last year, with a full tear down inspection. Crank was found to be OK, but cam was reground. I would not have purchased without the teardown. As stated above, the risk is the introduction of cracks that can grow over time due to fatigue until a brittle fracture occurs during flight.
For those who think a tear down is not required, ask yourself what rate of failure due to an uninspected strike would be acceptable to you, 1:30? 1:60? 1:100? If you find 100 pilots still flying behind an uninspected crank after a strike, does that really tell you anything useful?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have insisted on a new Cam instead of grinding it, I know it's been recoated and with in specs but I haven't seen them last. mine was reground at overhaul by the previous owner and I ended up replacing it at under 600 hour. 

Brian

I think I've told this story here, but I think which decision made says something about the owner too.  My plane had a prop stike and had a full teardown inspection after and the owner flew for hundreds of hours before I bought it.  Generally a safe pilot.  When his health failed, he stopped flying.  Never knew of the guy to take any chances flying either.  Pretty well known around the airport.  And I've had no issues since I've had it.

However, another Mooney driver at the airport started talking with me one day.  I had looked up his plane online and knew that it had been sold at salvage following a gear up landing.  When I mentioned it, he was proud of the fact that didn't do all the "extra" work for the prop strike and only replaced the stuff required by the AD.  Gave off the "Vibe" that anyone who would do whole teardown was a sucker.  He was also proud that he didn't have hardly any damage and only repaired a couple of panels from the gear up.  This guy then went on to almost have an incident on takeoff when he took off without sumping his tanks and got water into the engine and then actually had an incident when he departed the runway landing at Myrtle Beach.

12 hours ago, bob865 said:

I think I've told this story here, but I think which decision made says something about the owner too.  My plane had a prop stike and had a full teardown inspection after and the owner flew for hundreds of hours before I bought it.  Generally a safe pilot.  When his health failed, he stopped flying.  Never knew of the guy to take any chances flying either.  Pretty well known around the airport.  And I've had no issues since I've had it.

However, another Mooney driver at the airport started talking with me one day.  I had looked up his plane online and knew that it had been sold at salvage following a gear up landing.  When I mentioned it, he was proud of the fact that didn't do all the "extra" work for the prop strike and only replaced the stuff required by the AD.  Gave off the "Vibe" that anyone who would do whole teardown was a sucker.  He was also proud that he didn't have hardly any damage and only repaired a couple of panels from the gear up.  This guy then went on to almost have an incident on takeoff when he took off without sumping his tanks and got water into the engine and then actually had an incident when he departed the runway landing at Myrtle Beach.

It sounds like this guys like living on the edge, hope his luck holds.