Wire naming system

NicoN

I found an explanation on how the wires in a Mooney are named, but still have questions. Not to mention that the wire names are hardly readable in the wiring scheme.

AFAIk all wire names begin with "21" in 12V-Mooneys or "JK" in 24V-aircrafts.

It is followed by a group of 2 Letters which diescribes the circuit function, e.g. "PB" means 'Power Battery' while "PA" has something to do with 'Power Alternator'. There are many more groups.

So far this is clear and tells me a lot of the function of a wire.

After that 2 numbers follow which are described as a "sequence number". AFAIK this number counts up after each connector. SO, a wire named "21PB21...." becomes "21PB22" after passing a connector.

But I am not sure, If the sequence always starts with "01".r

Then a One-letter-code follows which means "configuration" according to the Maintenance Manual (see p. 440f). I found an "A" or "B" or "C". But I have no idea what configuration means.

Then another 2 numbers follow with the cable thickness in AWG units. "02" should mean a pretty strong wire, while "18" or "22" are much smaller wires.

So, the biggest miracles is about the sequence number and the meaning of "configuration".

Any ideas ?

On 1/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, NicoN said:

After that 2 numbers follow which are described as a "sequence number". AFAIK this number counts up after each connector. SO, a wire named "21PB21...." becomes "21PB22" after passing a connector.

But I am not sure, If the sequence always starts with "01".

Then a One-letter-code follows which means "configuration" according to the Maintenance Manual (see p. 440f). I found an "A" or "B" or "C". But I have no idea what configuration means.

Then another 2 numbers follow with the cable thickness in AWG units. "02" should mean a pretty strong wire, while "18" or "22" are much smaller wires.

So, the biggest miracles is about the sequence number and the meaning of "configuration".

Any ideas ?

I am not sure of the specifics in your case, as I have the M20M manual which has similar text in the beginning of section 91 but is clearly of a different age as well as model.

Sequence number appears to normally start from the "control" end (ie normally around the breaker panel), I don't think it needs to start from 01 (eg what if Mooney decided to cut out a section of a loom, and instead use longer wires either side) - hence they might not always be adjacent in numbers, but the sequence should remain.

I *imagine* the configuration relates to the sub model or factory options - eg one equipped with all the goodies from manufacture will have all the wires, whereas a "basic" model would not have them all. Depending on the range covered by a single diagram, it might also reflect what was installed as production moved onwards

There are lots of factory capped off wires in my bird, so there is probably one wire harness for all panels.  I would think sequence is how they are laid into the wiring loom.  For the wires in the Comm harness they were labeled with Com 1, Com 2 etc

Edited by Yetti

I am not sure, but it seems that not only the sequence number is counting up, but also the configuration letter.

At least, I found out that all connectors are labeled, so you can identify them and what's in them.