Panel lights died

In flight; I bumped the throttle quadrant protrusion ('69 F) with my knee and immediately lost all instrument/cluster lights. Rheostat (?) at the top of the panel does nothing. Checked (and pulled/reset) the breaker, no joy. Includes the lights internal to the GI-106 and whatever King indicator I have.

I have LEDs under the glare shield, the over-shoulder "eyeball spotlight" works, and I have multiple flashlights, so it's not going to stop me getting home. But when I get it to the A&P, thoughts on what to troubleshoot? Could a short have burned out the dimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

In flight; I bumped the throttle quadrant protrusion ('69 F) with my knee and immediately lost all instrument/cluster lights. Rheostat (?) at the top of the panel does nothing. Checked (and pulled/reset) the breaker, no joy. Includes the lights internal to the GI-106 and whatever King indicator I have.

I have LEDs under the glare shield, the over-shoulder "eyeball spotlight" works, and I have multiple flashlights, so it's not going to stop me getting home. But when I get it to the A&P, thoughts on what to troubleshoot? Could a short have burned out the dimmer?

I have a feeling one has nothing to do with the other.  I had to put in a new rheostat in my F a couple of years back.  One flight the instrument lights worked the next nothing.  I guess they just didn't make parts in the 70s to last ;)

Two rheostats...

• instrument panel lights
  • overhead lights

probably two power lines supporting each one...

Each light is grounded separately.

All the panel lights go to a single point of power under the pilot’s knee for some reason...a threaded post with a nut holding the stack together....

Old fuzzy memory of PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

best regards,

-a-

I have a feeling one has nothing to do with the other.  I had to put in a new rheostat in my F a couple of years back.  One flight the instrument lights worked the next nothing.  I guess they just didn't make parts in the 70s to last

There are lights in that pod. It was instantaneous - bump, lights went out. Happened in flight.

Two rheostats...
  • instrument panel lights
  • overhead lights
probably two power lines supporting each one...
Each light is grounded separately.
All the panel lights go to a single point of power under the pilot’s knee for some reason...a threaded post with a nut holding the stack together....
Old fuzzy memory of PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...
best regards,
-a-

This era Mooney has a rheostat in the panel for the instrument/cluster lights, and a simple on-off switch overhead for the eyeball spot light.

10 hours ago, chrixxer said:

This era Mooney has a rheostat in the panel for the instrument/cluster lights, and a simple on-off switch overhead for the eyeball spot light.

So, if all the IP lights went out at the same time...

1) get out the Volt meter....

2) Start at the rheostat, because it is easy to find... one line in, one line out... does it get voltage delivered to it?

3) Follow the line out where it goes to a post that has every dimmable light attached to it including backlit instruments.... does the voltage get delivered this far?

4) things that could break or get disconnected...

• Wire, bus to circuit breaker
  • wire, CB to rheostat
  • wire, rheostat to light Power post

After that, they are all individual failure points...

This observation is based on my 65C. It had the two rheostats mounted in the ceiling.  The 90s O has the two rheostats in the panel...

See if this is helpful.  PP ideas only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Chris. Is your engine monitor working correctly?  Or could both problems be a common ground? 

Fly safe   At least going west you will gain 2 hours of daylight.

Still no, but I think I know why (it's not grounded to the engine block). I'm going to have LASAR look at it when I have the ram air door looked at.

Edit: Daylight? Ha! ;) Left St. Louis about 10:30 am CST, landed Torrance 11 pm PST, with two "quick turn" fuel stops (one featuring an impromptu Mooney pilot meet-up), at Amarillo and Phoenix Deer Valley.