AD 77-17-04 Control Wheel Inspection

AD 77-17-04:

(a) Remove the RH and LH control wheels and inspect the aft two inches of the control wheel shaft for cracks (particularly at the attachment holes for the wheel). Use visual and dye penetrant inspection methods

My eagle eyed A&P notified me that I was about 40HRS from this inspection. Has anyone had this done and could you pass on what their shop charged?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

I purchased this from Aircraft Spruce Magnaflux Kit and gave it to my IA, he didn't charge me for the inspection or sign off. I removed my yokes, he did the inspection, I sent the yokes out to be wrapped in leather and we put them back on, total time was maybe 3hrs start to finish. Not exactly an answer but should give you an idea of the labor time

I obtained the heavy wall shaft for the pilot side that is not subject to the AD years ago.  I still need the one for the copilot side to get clear of the AD. Seems ridiculous since very little time is spent flying from that side. If anybody knows a source for the heavy shafts now,please let me know. 

Edited by Gary0747

1 hour ago, Gary0747 said:

I obtained the heavy wall shaft for the pilot side that is not subject to the AD years ago.  I still need the one for the copilot side to get clear of the AD. Seems ridiculous since very little time is spent flying from that side. If anybody knows a source for the heavy shafts now,please let me know. 

Mooney through your local MSC. I did the shafts on my M20C several years ago. I bought the shafts from Mooney through SWTA.

BTW... DMax weighed in on this topic on the MAPA mailing list.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

What did he say?

I was a MAPA member in the 1990s and again since 2011.  I have never been able to crack the code on their antiquated mailing list.

• Haha 1

Most are damaged complying with the AD. That is a tapered pin, bigger at top than nut side. They are damaged taking out or over torqued  installing. There is also an allen set screw on the side that gets over torqued and collapses the tube. Later models have a thicker tube and not as easily damaged. If the yoke is tight and does not wiggle it should be OK.

Dmax

• Thanks 2

Mooney through your local MSC. I did the shafts on my M20C several years ago. I bought the shafts from Mooney through SWTA.

I’m sure the price has gone up a lot but I bought the entire kit including yokes back in 1998.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I purchased this from Aircraft Spruce Magnaflux Kit and gave it to my IA, he didn't charge me for the inspection or sign off. I removed my yokes, he did the inspection, I sent the yokes out to be wrapped in leather and we put them back on, total time was maybe 3hrs start to finish. Not exactly an answer but should give you an idea of the labor time

Sorry for the off topic...where did you send the yokes, how long it took and how much? Thanks!

3 hours ago, FastTex said:

Sorry for the off topic...where did you send the yokes, how long it took and how much? Thanks!

I used a local car upholstery shop, charged me $150 and took about a week. I also taped new wires for my PTT switches to the yokes before he wrapped them so the wire is under the leather and come out at the shaft and through the stitching on the yoke horn 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

I used a local car upholstery shop, charged me $150 and took about a week. I also taped new wires for my PTT switches to the yokes before he wrapped them so the wire is under the leather and come out at the shaft and through the stitching on the yoke horn 

Does that mean your ready to part with those fancy buttons you made??  ;)

22 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Does that mean your ready to part with those fancy buttons you made??  ;)

Nope.... Did the PTT buttons at the same time the yokes were being done. They are easy to make, and when you glue the leather around them it hides a lot of sins :D

• Like 1

There is such a better engineered upgrade to these shafts...than the "two holes are better than one" factory fix.   I see a yoke/shaft connection that utilizes a thru piece of .25" X .032",4130 hard brazed (90ksi silver solder) to the interior of the main shaft that simultaneously reinforces and distributes out the yoke forces into the shaft... reinstall the control wheel, ream for AN3 bolt and forget about it...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mike20papa said:

There is such a better engineered upgrade to these shafts...than the "two holes are better than one" factory fix.   I see a yoke/shaft connection that utilizes a thru piece of .25" X .032",4130 hard brazed (90ksi silver solder) to the interior of the main shaft that simultaneously reinforces and distributes out the yoke forces into the shaft... reinstall the control wheel, ream for AN3 bolt and forget about it...

I agree, that is better- is there any approval basis for this modification?  It isn't included in the AD or SB M20-205B.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 1/2/2019 at 3:27 PM, RLCarter said:

Old post but this magnaflux kit is what we use on our DA20s for their nose gear dye pen check. Good stuff.

• Like 1