Landing Gear Shock Disks Source?

R.May

6 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

You have to know this is coming from just about everyone on the forum:  WELCOME BACK!

Thank you!  (To All)

:)

One of these days… I’ll spend some better controlled time on MS!

There is nothing more enjoyable than being part of the Mooney family.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

FAA invitation to a presentation regarding parts support….

Vintage Airplanes… = before 1980

You have asked us to notify you when a webinar is scheduled that meets your criteria. The following webinar may be of interest to you:

"Vintage Aircraft Replacement and Modification Program VARMA"
Topic: Scott Fohrman from the Chicago Aircraft Certification Branch will be doing a presentation on the VARMA Program
On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 11:00 Eastern Daylight Time (08:00 PDT; 09:00 MDT; 10:00 CDT; 05:00 HST; 07:00 AKDT; 08:00 Arizona; 15:00 GMT)

Select Number:
EA17124379

Description:

Scott Fohrman from the Chicago Aircraft Certification Branch will be doing a presentation on the Vintage Aircraft Replacement and Modification Program VARMA. 

This program is indented to help owners and operators of vintage aircraft (certificated before Jan 1, 1980, fixed wing, unpressurized, under 12,5000 lbs with a reciprocating engine) find and use replacement parts or processes, when the parts are no longer available, obsolete and out of production. 

To view further details and registration information for this webinar, click here.

The sponsor for this seminar is: FAASTeam

The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:

Basic Knowledge 3 - 1 Credit
AMT: 1.00

Click here to view the WINGS help page
  • Like 2

I'll add that as far as I understand "before 1980" means "Type Certificate issued before 1980" which covers everything up to M20K (approved in 1978) no matter when the plane was actually built. IOW it covers all the J and K serial numbers.

• 1 month later...

Happy Thanksgiving Mark, (and to all Mooney enthusiasts). 

Unfortunately not a positive result from Smithsonian M-18 Lower Shock Pad drawings (for scaling replacement donuts). The drawing received is for the thin metal plate that separates the pucks. Can't seem to find any drawings related directly to the rubber components.

image0.jpeg.29e8efba27784f1391f8745f08dff65f.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Probably because it was an off the shelf part from a vendor.

Maybe contact who made the original shock discs and ask about drawings of that part.  DO NOT MENTION IT IS FOR AIRCRAFT USE.

• 2 weeks later...

Was a source found for these other than Lord?  We may need material specs, formal drawings for a custom mfr to produce.  Does anyone have these?  There was a reference to Mack Truck motor mounts.  Has anyone found a replacement product?

Hi All, Firestone made them. They are gone as of about 2000. Bridgestone didn't want to continue mechanical goods so molds, prints etc. are gone. I've been trying for 4yrs to get prints, measurements to make the mold. I have a rubber formula that should work well for this (a modified tank pad rubber). Was trying to get Clarence M-20 doc to get me the dimensions off the o.e.m. ones he had but they run him off. Kevin Harburg has been a huge help on this so far and hope he hasn't lost faith in getting this done as I am probably going to need more of his input. Going to try to do it thru the FAA Varma program Mark