Landing Gear Shock Disks Source?

R.May

Tying two threads together….

In this thread there is a discussion about the origin and source of early Mite donuts….

Mack Truck engine mounts…?

With a connection to a KNR article…. Where KNR is a Mooney mechanic with great writing skills….

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

April 10, 1950-Mooney Aircraft Inc. Wichita, Kanasa Speicfications for the M18C quote "Firestone rebound - control Shock Units and Firestone 4.00X4 Tire Equipment".

Wouldn't it be great if Firestone still sold the same units under some automotive part number (Perhaps Mack Truck)?

Edited by Kevin Harberg
Attachment removed.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, Hope you had a good holiday. I have been trying to get a print of these parts to make a mold to make the shock disks for you guys. No print no mold. I don't understand why the reluctance to do this if they are needed. This is not the kind of project that will let me retire to some place sunny and warm. Mark

2 hours ago, gummirat said:

Hello all, Hope you had a good holiday. I have been trying to get a print of these parts to make a mold to make the shock disks for you guys. No print no mold. I don't understand why the reluctance to do this if they are needed. This is not the kind of project that will let me retire to some place sunny and warm. Mark

Just finished reviewing my paperwork and was not successful in finding a usable print for your use. I did find drawings calling them Rubber Spring Discs and another reference as Rubber Shock Pads (Originally Firestone CRE 714-1). The ASTM Spec was unreadable. After reviewing the Smithsonian drawings available for reprint, the most likely drawing is Mooney 0662 (11/9/1948) - Models: Mooney M18 - Title: PAD-LOWER SHOCK (9" x 11" Drawing) Smithsonian Item # DD-0029142. This drawing is available from the Smithsonian for a small fee if no other drawings show up in future replies to your request. You can order this drawing by completing the request form available at:

https://airandspace.si.edu/files/pdf/archives/mooney-reproductions.pdf

Hope this is of assistance to you, and to the Mooney Mite Community. I have a spare set mounted on a gear spindle that could be freighted to you from Canada. I had hoped that even though they are old and likely hard, I at least had them as an emergency spare, however, having a source of new replacement discs would be better. Let me know if you would like me to send you my spare gear spindle.

5 hours ago, gummirat said:

Hey Mark!

Happy New Year!

Sending this note to a friend… @Jonny

The Mooney Mite community needs rubber discs for their landing gear similar to all other Mooneys…

But, none in stock anywhere…. None being made.

MSer @gummirat is in the rubber business and can make rubber discs aka donuts.  Having a technical drawing would be great!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Harberg said:

Hello Mark @gummirat

I have two rubber shock pads for the M-18 packaged and ready to send to you for analysis and destructive testing. Please forward mailing instructions via Mooney Space messages and I will get them on your way.

Regards,

Kevin Harberg

Sent to Mark @Gummirat.jpg

Didn't look like the call to @gummirat got formatted correctly.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kevin Harberg said:

Great news from Mark @gummirat

The used M-18 shock discs have been sampled and type of compound, elastomeric property, and type of cloth have been identified. Just waiting on measurements of unused discs to create mold.

I’ve got a set of new ones.  If there is a way to scan/copy them let me know.

A machine shop with and optical comparator or a cmm, like a cordax. the former is like an overhead projector and you take the measurements off the image, the other uses a probe to touch the part at several points and take the measurement. my mold maker has a optical comparator he can load into a cad program and make the print. you can call me to discuss. Thanks Mark

33 minutes ago, gummirat said:

WOW Kevin are these things used! I got some dimensions of the metal washer and did a hardness test. 78a on the inside. need a picture of the metal side to see if is flat or a conical metal. Maybe M20 doc can get that and post it. Mark

The bracket that held the two sample shock discs you received, has a thick conical top and bottom metal disc. The disc between the two shock discs is thin and conical, however, it could have easily been compressed into that shape. Don't know if Clarence @M20Doc has his gear legs apart to verify my findings.

Kevin Harberg

13 hours ago, Kevin Harberg said:

The bracket that held the two sample shock discs you received, has a thick conical top and bottom metal disc. The disc between the two shock discs is thin and conical, however, it could have easily been compressed into that shape. Don't know if Clarence @M20Doc has his gear legs apart to verify my findings.

Kevin Harberg

Here's a photo of the metal shock disc mount showing conical shape for top and bottom of each rubber shock disc.

294011474_GearShockDiscMount.jpg.0968ed0c05b80dc13a497fa3360e3815.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gumi has all the right stuff going!

thermo gravimetric analysis… TGA

Fourier Transform Infra Red analysis… FTIR

Some serious polymer chemistry lab equipment…

Way cool…

Reminds me of my school days… a decade or four ago… or was it five?

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All, got the test reports back and it is a SBR rubber with a high filler loading. The one I will use is a natural rubber that should give better resilience and compression set properties. I really need get the dimensions to build the mold. I need to prove the new print is based on the old print or nos part for certification.

@gummirat Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I can send you the nosewheel bracket that has the bevelled steel mounting plates if it would be of any use. You may be able to access the aforementioned drawings from the Smithsonian as per my January 11th post. A scan of a "New Old Stock" rubber disc would likely give you the most accurate dimensions. I  have some more "used" rubber discs still mounted on a spare set of "Main gear legs" but I suspect they are in similar condition to those I previously provided.

Hi Kevin, I tried to find them on the site you posted and didn't find anything ( not saying much, I'm not a wiz at computers).     If you can come up with the drawing that would put this project in getter done mode, I would proceed with the mold and certification process. Thanks Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All ,had a lab batch of the compound made and tested, 4300 lb tensile,600% elongation comp set 18% great numbers eh carusoam. m20doc any luck on the measurements? Kevin any luck on the print? I'm into this just south of 1k would like to see the interest or did I waste the money? Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1