Safe ice melter?

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Put a HarborFreight winch on the back wall of your hangar/shed and drag the plane backward into the hangar

Do you just hook to the tail tie down loop?  Been thinking about this to make it easier to get over the door tracks.

• Like 1

From the MSDS, corrosive to mild steel and only slightly to aluminum.  However it’s not like you are filling your plane with it to carry it somewhere like a fertilizer spreader.

A small amount sprinkled on the ramp to promote melting won’t hurt.  You won’t be driving your plane through any run off and splashing it everywhere.

Clarence

55F13896-44D5-4E68-838A-8F616C11294C.jpeg

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Put a HarborFreight winch on the back wall of your hangar/shed and drag the plane backward into the hangar. It seems the ice might only be causing issues for pushing the plane into he hangar?

If you do buy the winch, which work great by the way, first throw the cable away and buy the synthetic rope cable.. You will be glad you did.  I also added and extra length of strap for a safety measure.

Pritch

Picture0208181555_1[2072].jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Do you just hook to the tail tie down loop?  Been thinking about this to make it easier to get over the door tracks.

I would want to be very gentle with it, but yes, that should work. If I was pulling hard, or up hill a distance, I'd create some sort of spreader bar and hook to the main gear.

I've actually used salt on the build up outside my hangar for years.  Worked great.  I'd put it out when the ice first formed, usually did the trick.  All I did was drag the aircraft out through it, I don't think it ever got on the airframe, and I flew that aircraft for a decade and never saw so much as a spot of corrosion.

That said, this was the built up outside the hangar door.  Taxiways were maintained clear.  If there is any more ice to get rid of than that a chat with the facilities manager is in order.

A squirt bottle with isopropyl alcohol is safe for the painted surfaces, but of course not practical for the ramp area. I would not use the weed burner around it 

Yeah I would hate to get that mixed up..... But then I would have the excuse to get a paint job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure if you were looking for deice for ramp or plane.  we always used a 50-50 mix of cheap antifreeze in a garden sprayer for all the rental planes years back.  cheap and easy and washes off after a few snow-melt cycles.  Although hangar works well.  Moving to Florida works best for both ramp and plane.