Likely consequences of wandering 1/4 mile into class D

3 hours ago, Shadrach said:

This may be true for Bravo airspace.  How does this automated system know whether or not two way communications have been established? A simple "good morning Anytown tower, Mooney 5432Q" and a reciprocated good morning from the tower with N number would have been adequate to make him legal.  I'm trying to envision the time and expense involved in creating an automated system that would flag this as an airspace violation, especially given that once tower is closed there is no communication requirement.  Are the local controllers suggesting that the government is flagging every aircraft that flies through towered airspace and then checks it against the tower/approach transcripts?   My drome is ~60 miles from The Whitehouse and 15NM from Camp David.  None of the Tower controllers I know have ever mentioned a system other than the one that potentially scrambles military assets if there is a violation of the inner ring of Prohibited area P40, The DC SFRA or most seriously the DC FRZ.  I'd be interested in learning more. It's one thing to prevent deviations and enforce the rules, it's quite another to devote manpower to reviewing historical radar tracks to confirm they met the letter of the law.

I heard it during a local Wings/FAAST meeting, either from a controller or one of the Scottsdale FSDO people, I don't recall which.   The context was about Phoenix bravo airspace in particular.

• Thanks 1

thank goodness I programmed my transponder to broadcast Marauder's tail #.

Funny you should mention this. I do see my plane sometimes flying in Texas and I’m positive it ain’t me. I guess I should start using your N number just to add to the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

Funny you should mention this. I do see my plane sometimes flying in Texas and I’m positive it ain’t me. I guess I should start using your N number just to add to the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder how many of us have seen this. I sometimes looked up the N Number of a Comanche I used to fly in Colorado. I see flights in Florida. Thought maybe it moved there but the flight airspeeds were way too low - about 50kts too low. Checked further once and it was a 152.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I wonder how many of us have seen this. I sometimes looked up the N Number of a Comanche I used to fly in Colorado. I see flights in Florida. Thought maybe it moved there but the flight airspeeds were way too low - about 50kts too low. Checked further once and it was a 152.

That happens if the controller picking up a VFR flight following hears/keys in the wrong N number.  They will usually be mode C flight following or Class C/B transitions.  The controller punches in N98JT and issues code 3456... you are showing up in FF flying in florida at 110kts...   

I suspect that ICAO (ADSB/ModeS) errors are very rare, the avionics shops test for that.  More common will be the ICAO/Flight ID mismatch and the FAA has said that persistent mismatches will be filtered from their systems. 

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/march/pilot/ads-b-bad-data-no-service

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulM said:

That happens if the controller picking up a VFR flight following hears/keys in the wrong N number.  They will usually be mode C flight following or Class C/B transitions.  The controller punches in N98JT and issues code 3456... you are showing up in FF flying in florida at 110kts...   

I've had this happen before.

All I know is what NORCAL TRACON guys told me during a visit a few years ago. Unless it causes them a problem, they don’t care. The last thing they want is extra paperwork. HOWEVER, FAA has a “quality control” group somewhere with a radar feed and nothing to do but watch for things like airspace incursions. If they spot one, they call the TRACON and the TRACON has to investigate it. So, if you aren’t near a TRACON, probably no one cares. And if you are near a TRACON probably nobody cares unless you get flagged by quality control. 

FWIW, I inadvertantly flew maybe 1/2 mile into Whidbey NAS Class C recently. I called them and confessed my error. The controller hadn’t even noticed me and it took him a minute to locate me once I called. He kinda laughed and said, “We’ll just let it go this time.” I always liked the Navy.

Skip

I stumbled inadvertently into a delta near Pittsburgh once while not talking to anyone.  I freaked out when I noticed. I immediately started a climb out of the airspace and simultaneously called the tower to confess. They were completely chill. They had no radar, had no clue I was there, advised me that they had no other traffic in the D, and wished me a nice evening.  I returned the sentiment and didn't bother to file a NASA report.

If you do get called out on it, work with them. They've moved now towards a compliance philosophy and are supposedly less likely to violate pilots for unintentional mistakes: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/cp/media/CP_Brochure.pdf 

I've heard that if you try to fight them on things that they will stick it in you and break it off.