Likely consequences of wandering 1/4 mile into class D

While taking some friends on a sightseeing flight I wandered into class d.  I wasn’t talking to anyone so there was no way to say “I have a number for you to call upon landing.  Advise when ready to copy”.  As soon as I noticed my error I got out of there fast.

I’ll file an an ASRS form, of course.  But my question is how likely are they to contact me due to this error?  I was squawking 1200 but have ADSB, so there is the technical means to know I was the one who wandered into that airspace.  There was no call waiting for me at the FBO upon landing.  Thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RobertE said:

While taking some friends on a sightseeing flight I wandered into class d.  I wasn’t talking to anyone so there was no way to say “I have a number for you to call upon landing.  Advise when ready to copy”.  As soon as I noticed my error I got out of there fast.

I’ll file an an ASRS form, of course.  But my question is how likely are they to contact me due to this error?  I was squawking 1200 but have ADSB, so there is the technical means to know I was the one who wandered into that airspace.  There was no call waiting for me at the FBO upon landing.  Thanks.

Not all class D towers have a radar feed. In fact many do not. It’s likely that the tower controller had no idea you were ever in is his airspace and approach/center controller that could see you on radar didn’t know you weren’t talking to the tower. My guess is that nothing will come of it. You may or may not have increased the chances of getting a phone call by posting about it on a public forum. Completing the NASA form was a good idea. 

• Like 1

Unlikely you will ever hear anything. My understanding is that most likely they don’t have radar services and didn’t even know you were there unless another pilot that was talking to them had to avoid you  and reported a close call.

i don’t think anyone is actively watching ADSB-out aircraft, but they certainly could see who it was if they needed to!

Just now, Shadrach said:

Not all class D towers have a radar feed. In fact many do not. It’s likely that the tower controller had no idea you were ever in is his airspace and approach/center controller that could see you on radar didn’t know you weren’t talking to the tower. My guess is that nothing will come of it. You may or may not have increased the chances of getting a phone call by posting about it on a public forum. Completing the NASA form was a good idea. 

You beat me to it.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t sweat that unless you caused a problem with traffic. ADS-B is not widely referenced by ATC yet. All depends on which airport and their disposition. Never hurts to talk to them. B airspace is the one you need to stay clear or be cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I don’t think anyone is patrolling ADSB to catch rule breakers. Now, if there was a deviation because of your actions, they would figure out how to contact you.

A similar question was asked at a FAAST “Lunch with ATC” in our local area. The question was asked, how close does ATC monitor the class C shelf airspace above a local airport because a STOL plane accidentally busted up into the Class c above on climbout without talking to the controllers but quickly rectified the situation, and then went immediately to file the NASA form. ATC said, they don’t try to catch people with ADSB trying to write citations but that if a diversion took place they would follow up for further training.

Again, the FiSDO was at this meeting and stood up and said, “confessing” was the best - they would not do anything unless it became a safety issue.

Yeah, I was gonna say it depends on which Class Delta it is. Here in Texas if it was the Class D at ADS, it might generate a phone call, rather if it was the Class D at HYI, nobody cares. Even though both of those Delta's have radar. ADS is under and up against the DFW Bravo, whereas HYI is out in the country several miles south of the Austin Charlie.

I wouldn't expect any enforcement action from either.

About a year ago a pilot I know was coming down from N.Carolina and flew over Houston and screwed ATC's Bravo airspace all up. A member of FAAST from the San Antonio FSDO came down (to help get his head dislodged), the end result was 2hrs of ground, 1hr of dual and suggested he get current on Instruments (that's how I got involved). A 1/4 mile into Delta in a "J" they might have not even seen you, 50+ miles across Bravo in a 172, everyone saw him....:)

• Haha 1

I've been told by local controllers in this area that space violations are automatically flagged, so it's not even necessary for a human to notice it.

Even without ADS-B, your transponder ID is unique to your aircraft, so with or without it they can find who it was.

Processing these things apparently takes time so it can be quite a while before you're contacted *if* they decide to bother with it.   Apparently there's enough much crazier stuff going on that a lot of inadvertent incursions don't get attention.

Let us know what happens or doesn't happen.   The ASRS is a must-do for stuff like this.   That's what it's for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I wonder what happens when a person wanders 1/4 mile into class b air space when the government is closed?

Closed? I know a crapload of gov. employees and they are working..... Shut Down = No Pay till they get it resolved 

• Sad 1

Just now, RLCarter said:

Closed? I know a crapload of gov. employees and they are working..... Shut Down = No Pay till they get it resolved 

I know this quite will - I have been one of those unpaid feds on two occasions in the past / I the 90s.

but I am wondering if a few minor excursions might get dropped nonetheless.

• Like 1

I'm with the "It depends" crowd. Many airspace's incursions, even Class B,  go unseen, unnoticed, or don't create enough of a problem for a controller to want extra paperwork. But while the risk is low, follow up has and does happen.

NASA form makes sense, but otherwise relax. No reason to get worked up over a maybe.

The real wild card is if the aircraft had ADSB out.  If so, the tower knows exactly who and where it was.  Then it depends on whether any traffic got screwed up and their good will.  If it was a non radar tower and no ADSB, come ci come a.

I recall story from a good friend, who cut into Kenosha's airspace after experiencing spatial disorientation on a misty VFR day over Lake Michigan.  He heard the controller complaining about his incursion, but in truth there wasn't anything the controller could do.  Not so much anymore.  Congrats on paying all that money for that little box that will rat you out every time.

11 hours ago, EricJ said:

Even without ADS-B, your transponder ID is unique to your aircraft, so with or without it they can find who it was.

you have to have a programmable mode S transponder, the mode C transponders do not provide any identifying info 

Brian

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

I've been told by local controllers in this area that space violations are automatically flagged, so it's not even necessary for a human to notice it.

Processing these things apparently takes time so it can be quite a while before you're contacted *if* they decide to bother with it.   Apparently there's enough much crazier stuff going on that a lot of inadvertent incursions don't get attention.

Let us know what happens or doesn't happen.   The ASRS is a must-do for stuff like this.   That's what it's for.

This may be true for Bravo airspace.  How does this automated system know whether or not two way communications have been established? A simple "good morning Anytown tower, Mooney 5432Q" and a reciprocated good morning from the tower with N number would have been adequate to make him legal.  I'm trying to envision the time and expense involved in creating an automated system that would flag this as an airspace violation, especially given that once tower is closed there is no communication requirement.  Are the local controllers suggesting that the government is flagging every aircraft that flies through towered airspace and then checks it against the tower/approach transcripts?   My drome is ~60 miles from The Whitehouse and 15NM from Camp David (P40).  None of the Tower controllers I know have ever mentioned a system other than the one that potentially scrambles military assets if there is a violation of the inner ring of Prohibited area P40, The DC SFRA or most seriously the DC FRZ.  I'd be interested in learning more. It's one thing to prevent deviations and enforce the rules, it's quite another to devote manpower to reviewing historical radar tracks to confirm they met the letter of the law.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

A real one, no ADS-B involved: Pilot is visually seen by the Tower which thinks he's inside the Class D. Tower calls Approach to ask if they are talking to him. Answer is no, and TRACON winds up tracking him to his home base, a different Class D and gets his N-number from that Tower. Pilot gets a call within a few days.

12 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

A real one, no ADS-B involved: Pilot is visually seen by the Tower which thinks he's inside the Class D. Tower calls Approach to ask if they are talking to him. Answer is no, and TRACON winds up tracking him to his home base, a different Class D and gets his N-number from that Tower. Pilot gets a call within a few days.

Scanning 360 degrees of horizon for distant incommunicado traffic on a quiet day?  That would require putting down the book/magazine/phone and looking out the windows...:lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Scanning 360 degrees of horizon for distant incommunicado traffic on a quiet day?  That would require putting down the book/magazine/phone and looking out the windows...:lol: 

:D

In this case, the Tower would only have about 90 degrees to watch. The Class B surface area starts about a 1/2 mile from the airport, limiting where one might approach the airport. Position where it took place would have clipped the D's straight in to the primary runway.  Pretty much the reason they noticed it.

BTW, they were wrong. Saved radar tracks showed he was outside the D.

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1