bonal

Today's flight in 2019

Recommended Posts

Todays flight was a business trip to investigate buying a business near Peterborough.  Due to the location the best mode of transport wast have the wings spin around, so we borrowed my friends R66 (turbine no less). 

IMG_7529.thumb.JPG.9fd1d639e45caa07cdb9d8ad46f2d06f.JPG

my stead for the day.  Owner hiding in the grey jumper.  Chatting to another pilot who happened to be a GP and was setting up as an AME

IMG_1275.thumb.JPG.9f0f6aa2898cfec0e90c2a6da1a797ab.JPG

an. " interesting" piece of land on the way up, look closely!

IMG_7531.thumb.JPG.0961976ff3c151d626d505c2bd294271.JPG

this amused me somewhat, i think someone forgot the brakes or thought it was Platform 9 3/4s at Kings Cross.

IMG_7533.thumb.JPG.0b970703544565f6f48b2e4b7eb5e005.JPG

Back in 1988 this used to be my filofax cover.  They had this one for sale at the flying club we nipped into at Sibson.  Brought back many happy memories.

IMG_7538.thumb.JPG.adb2e092ecf325f76490f5b0c07183ae.JPG

on the way home approaching London Luton Airport.  

IMG_7542.thumb.JPG.7bd1fe3324b387a6e0379b55c3fc9093.JPG

Just about to fly the overhead of 08 at London Luton, they NEVER allow you to do this in a fixed wing.  

Being asked to hold two miles to the north of the airfield, by literally stopping was a new experience.  

As for the business.....hmmm possibly yes possibly no, the numbers dont work too well.

Andrew

IMG_7532.JPG

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Todays flight was a business trip to investigate buying a business near Peterborough.  Due to the location the best mode of transport wast have the wings spin around, so we borrowed my friends R66 (turbine no less). 

IMG_7529.thumb.JPG.9fd1d639e45caa07cdb9d8ad46f2d06f.JPG

WOW. Are you going to do a helicopter rating?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Here is a Moon and a Mooney.

And a Moon reflecting in a Mooney.

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

Cool.  One of my still to do dreams is to fly above a solid cloud layer on a full moon night and see the clouds all lit up.  I have never done it yet and have wamted to for nigh on 30 years.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:
12 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Todays flight was a business trip to investigate buying a business near Peterborough.  Due to the location the best mode of transport wast have the wings spin around, so we borrowed my friends R66 (turbine no less). 

IMG_7529.thumb.JPG.9fd1d639e45caa07cdb9d8ad46f2d06f.JPG

WOW. Are you going to do a helicopter rating?

I must admit it is a VERY useful way of travelling short distances.  Hop in, fire up, go and land literally outside the door of where you are going.  Very expensive to operate though.  The thing i did love was the way that the landing fee at the local airport where we went sfterwards charged 5 quid microlight, 10 quid fixed wing, 20 quid helicopter.  Even though heli chopper used no facilities whatsoever except a spot of grass!  I think they though, oh he can afford it, :)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Cool.  One of my still to do dreams is to fly above a solid cloud layer on a full moon night and see the clouds all lit up.  I have never done it yet and have wamted to for nigh on 30 years.  

I did that once many years ago when I first started, when I was riding right seat with my then CFI who was delivering an airplane to Florida.  There was a moment over a cloud layer, and a full moon and a clear sky above the clouds that everything glowed in the most amazing silver light.  Luckily neither one of us was a wear wolf so the flight proceeded to a nice conclusion at Miami Executive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I must admit it is a VERY useful way of travelling short distances.  Hop in, fire up, go and land literally outside the door of where you are going.  Very expensive to operate though.  The thing i did love was the way that the landing fee at the local airport where we went sfterwards charged 5 quid microlight, 10 quid fixed wing, 20 quid helicopter.  Even though heli chopper used no facilities whatsoever except a spot of grass!  I think they though, oh he can afford it, :)  

This week I took my youngest son on college choosing tours in a "Southern campaign".  We did William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA) and Duke and University of North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill).  Flying from Williamsburg, KJGG to KTTA (40 min drive from Duke) I heard on the radio a helicopter get clearance to land at Duke.   Which was out next stop.  I figured, gee how convenient that is!  And we stayed at a hotel right across the street from that helipad.  Helicopters were coming and going fast enough that in the short time I was there I saw several come and go.  Only that's not a helicopter ride you want to take, because those were medical lift helicopters landing on top of the hospital.

Generally I have come to choose the slightly further out airports rather than the big city airport for money AND time reasons.  RDU is 20 min closer by car to our first destination, Duke, vs KTTA which is Raleigh-Executive which is a fair bit further out (40 min).  But all in all, besides the fact that the fuel is much cheaper, ($5.19 vs $7.09) I don't even feel like I save time going to the big and closer airport.  Since at the big airport there is a lot more time spent taxiing around, waiting your turn to depart behind big jets, waiting to pick up your clearance, waiting your turn land, sequencing behind the big guys, not to mention some added stress of wake turbulence.  So for 20 minutes savings, it seems to get almost all eaten up in those extra ground operations, etc. Maybe not all 20 min but at least 10 min extra.  Then for 10 min only saved in actuality, and I need a top off for the 3 hrs flight home, that extra $2 per gallon savings is nice.

Good fun college trip.  Good dad-son time and we bought several t-shirts.  A few more such trips to go.  In between all the SAT's.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After landing last time the tower told me my transponder had dropped out on short final. Had it checked and everything looked good, strong signal, everything. AP/IA said to go fly it and ask ATC to keep an eye on it so after work I took her up. Asked for closed traffic and an extended downwind, told tower we were trouble shooting a transponder issue and if he could keep an eye on me to see if it dropped out. Landed and all looked good so went for a longer flight and it was beautiful.

20190418_190148.thumb.jpg.acc806cbfeacfee4d4760a619691245b.jpg20190418_190321.thumb.jpg.82882a4db28e99633c8799a5d2a1209b.jpg

The only thing better than the flight was my landing and I taxied back and put the plane away. Then it got sad, and a sobering reminder of the risks involved in this hobby. As I was driving away from my hangar I heard a plane getting ready to depart so I stopped and rolled down the window to watch. It was a twin (Duke) and I watched as he rolled down the runway and lifted off, then rolled up my window and started to pull away when I caught the fireball out of the corner of my eye. It took a couple of seconds for my mind to process what I was seeing. Impact was only about 1,600' from where he started his takeoff roll, just to the left of the runway on the taxiway.

This one hits a bit too close to home. I called my wife immediately to let her know I was okay. My prayers go out to the family who just lost a loved one. I am not going to speculate on what happened here, and in no way am I saying that this pilot was not vigilant and on his A game, maybe he was and maybe there was nothing he could have done to prevent it. But, it is a reminder to me that I can never let myself get complacent.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

This week I took my youngest son on college choosing tours in a "Southern campaign".  We did William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA) and Duke and University of North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill).  Flying from Williamsburg, KJGG to KTTA (40 min drive from Duke) I heard on the radio a helicopter get clearance to land at Duke.   Which was out next stop.  I figured, gee how convenient that is!  And we stayed at a hotel right across the street from that helipad.  Helicopters were coming and going fast enough that in the short time I was there I saw several come and go.  Only that's not a helicopter ride you want to take, because those were medical lift helicopters landing on top of the hospital.

Generally I have come to choose the slightly further out airports rather than the big city airport for money AND time reasons.  RDU is 20 min closer by car to our first destination, Duke, vs KTTA which is Raleigh-Executive which is a fair bit further out (40 min).  But all in all, besides the fact that the fuel is much cheaper, ($5.19 vs $7.09) I don't even feel like I save time going to the big and closer airport.  Since at the big airport there is a lot more time spent taxiing around, waiting your turn to depart behind big jets, waiting to pick up your clearance, waiting your turn land, sequencing behind the big guys, not to mention some added stress of wake turbulence.  So for 20 minutes savings, it seems to get almost all eaten up in those extra ground operations, etc. Maybe not all 20 min but at least 10 min extra.  Then for 10 min only saved in actuality, and I need a top off for the 3 hrs flight home, that extra $2 per gallon savings is nice.

Good fun college trip.  Good dad-son time and we bought several t-shirts.  A few more such trips to go.  In between all the SAT's.

This sounds like such a fun trip.  Child bonding time is an amazing thing to do.  I have happy memories of doing a few things like this with Vicki, roasting marshmallows around the camp fire being one (it was her idea, i had never had roasted marshmallows before, but boy...). Flying her back south from newcastle in the heavy rain was another.  Such great times.  

Glas you had fun.  Did he  manage to choose a school?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Selecting a school with a runway and a flying club would be high on my list as the student! :)

Joe Z had posted a pic of him in the early college days... him and the school flying club plane.

Best regards,

-a-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
After landing last time the tower told me my transponder had dropped out on short final. Had it checked and everything looked good, strong signal, everything. AP/IA said to go fly it and ask ATC to keep an eye on it so after work I took her up. Asked for closed traffic and an extended downwind, told tower we were trouble shooting a transponder issue and if he could keep an eye on me to see if it dropped out. Landed and all looked good so went for a longer flight and it was beautiful.
20190418_190148.thumb.jpg.acc806cbfeacfee4d4760a619691245b.jpg20190418_190321.thumb.jpg.82882a4db28e99633c8799a5d2a1209b.jpg
The only thing better than the flight was my landing and I taxied back and put the plane away. Then it got sad, and a sobering reminder of the risks involved in this hobby. As I was driving away from my hangar I heard a plane getting ready to depart so I stopped and rolled down the window to watch. It was a twin (Duke) and I watched as he rolled down the runway and lifted off, then rolled up my window and started to pull away when I caught the fireball out of the corner of my eye. It took a couple of seconds for my mind to process what I was seeing. Impact was only about 1,600' from where he started his takeoff roll, just to the left of the runway on the taxiway.
This one hits a bit too close to home. I called my wife immediately to let her know I was okay. My prayers go out to the family who just lost a loved one. I am not going to speculate on what happened here, and in no way am I saying that this pilot was not vigilant and on his A game, maybe he was and maybe there was nothing he could have done to prevent it. But, it is a reminder to me that I can never let myself get complacent.


I saw the initial reports on the accident. Looks like it was just the pilot onboard. It is sobering and a constant reminder never to let our guard down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

This sounds like such a fun trip.  Child bonding time is an amazing thing to do.  I have happy memories of doing a few things like this with Vicki, roasting marshmallows around the camp fire being one (it was her idea, i had never had roasted marshmallows before, but boy...). Flying her back south from newcastle in the heavy rain was another.  Such great times.  

Glas you had fun.  Did he  manage to choose a school?  

We have several more school hunting trips ahead of us yet. I'm looking forward to it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got back from Tahoe with Sassy Copilot. He flew most of the way back. On the way up we had thunderstorms and ice- on the way back severe clear!

He likes to turn the heat up so I told him he had to get a blanket because I didn’t want to pay the heating bill (the truth is that the weather was enough to make me sweat without a heater!). Extra HP, fuel and TKS sure are nice to have on board.

FB3FE267-CB01-48D2-9CEC-8B2D5DAD0744.jpeg

61FE8179-25D8-42B7-A501-F30C7EF16F71.jpeg

682B3474-890E-454C-AC86-98276A96527C.jpeg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 11:37 AM, MrRodgers said:

It was great seeing you and your wife last Sunday.  Hope to see you both again very soon. Oceano fly-in coming up May 10-11.  

Hey sorry I missed you both!We had lunch with local friends who Than drove us to the gardens at Kendall Jackson winery...we got back after 3 pm 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew down to Green Bay yesterday for lunch and dinner with my youngest son, his room mates in his house, and the parents of one of those friends (our close friends as well).  I ended up leveling at 9500 due to some clouds (had planned 14,500 for lower fuel burn) for the 20+ minute flight.  As we got closer, the clouds were spectacular to see.  Even my disinterested wife was snapping pictures for about 5 minutes.  It's really unfortunate the pictures never look as good as the original view with the eye.  Pictures 1 and 2 are looking west (we were north bound).  The last 6 are looking east at Northern Wisconsin, the Bay of Green Bay, and the Door County Peninsula.

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT

4-20-19 Flight (1).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (2).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (3).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (4).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (5).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (6).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (7).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (8).jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in awe that he planned 14,500 for a 20-minute flight . . . . .

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm in awe that he planned 14,500 for a 20-minute flight . . . . .


You’d be in even more awe if you saw his fuel burn at that altitude. I flew down to Sun N Fun last year with Jerry in JetProp. Seeing fuel flow go from close to 60 GPH to 30 GPH just due to altitude changes was amazing to see.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm in awe that he planned 14,500 for a 20-minute flight . . . . .

 

You’d be in even more awe if you saw his fuel burn at that altitude. I flew down to Sun N Fun last year with Jerry in his JetProp. Seeing fuel flow go from close to 60 GPH to 30 GPH just due to altitude changes was amazing to see.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hank said:

I'm in awe that he planned 14,500 for a 20-minute flight . . . . .

Fuel burn my man.......fuel burn.  

Definitely an efficient cross country plane.  I fly it for the fun factor on short trips (and currently have no other plane flying..........YET!!).  The comments when I taxi up and shut down, priceless.

Tom

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played Instrument Safety Pilot for @amillet this morning, it was a wonderful flight; continued learning experience for me and Alan did a great job, Sequim>Friday Harbor(RNAV 34)>Oak Harbor(RNAV 07)>Port Angeles(RNAV 26)>Sequim with roughly Ten minutes in IMC.

4A207D8B-6E14-469C-BA4B-1E6C76D7756C.jpeg

E3290C67-9854-4EA5-ACD4-AE88CF4B65D3.jpeg

B6CB6B11-F3F9-493F-90C1-43DEA9CCCD1D.jpeg

29CC24DB-9C08-4FED-8D46-17023D8A603B.jpeg

Edited by M20C_AV8R
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wet, wet, wet, yep finally got my IR wet today climbing out of Troutdale enroute to Sunriver. I could of flown the gorge to The Dalles all VFR. But what’s the joy in seeing where you’re going???:) It wasn’t a lot of IMC. Bases at 4,100 tops 6,300 on climb out. So almost got 5 minutes, that’s good for five tents right???:)6027f9192953d246a53129177b48eb37.jpgf37c929893baaba3aa49fb516a175c93.jpgedd036bc1a2f01926069b7b5b43fdb2f.jpg573515e27144293f38abe928d6561834.jpg43ed992f234ba620d8b344aff6297716.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We finally had the rain move out on the east coast. Climbed on top to get above a lower layer.

c915febdfc74718787baaf089f34a6cd.jpg

Clear enough to see Philly from a distance. Zoomed in to get a better look.

1538ebba5e35cbc46443a1577447e8ec.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

913140543_57557-19APR19_1.thumb.png.1220a9e759bca59cc00a20137d3e21c6.png1910536892_57557-19APR19.thumb.png.4da446355c417a5cbfe3fca877ea5205.png

Flying in SOCAL has some nice views... taken on 19 April, 2019.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just completed a week long 5174 nm journey with my 13 yo daughter.   Her spring break started last Friday after school.  I flew from Erie, Pa (KERI) to Boston (KBED) to pick her up.   From there we stopped in N.C for dinner (KECG) and on to St. Augustine, FL (KSGJ) for the night.  The next morning was KSGJ to Providenciales (MBPV) for fuel.   We didn’t need to clear customs for just a fuel stop, but they certainly tack on a number of government fees.   From there we continued to St. Thomas (TIST).   During my planning, I had been working with the FBOs and customs to make sure that I had everything set.   As we were preparing to depart to St. Thomas, I gave one more call.   It was lucky that I did.  They said, you better hurry, customs goes home at 5:45 today.    We landed in St. Thomas at 5:38 and had a really quick trip through customs.   The FBO at St. Thomas (Standard Aviation) was great.   They met us a customs and got us through everything quickly and easily.  Things always work a little differently in the islands.  

From there, we spent 2 nights in St Thomas, which is still recovering from Hurricane Irma.   On Monday, we took a ferry to Tortola where we picked up a sailboat for the next five nights.   We had a fun captain and enjoyed sailing around the British Virgin Islands.    The BVI were also hit very hard by the hurricane.   They can certainly use the tourist dollars to help the recovery and support their economy and workers.  

Saturday morning was a ferry back to St. Thomas to pick up the plane.   Saturday morning, the ferry and US Customs in in St. Thomas were running on island time.    Getting a little later start than we wanted, we set off from TIST to MBPV again for fuel.   ProvoAir at MBPV was very efficient and helpful.   Even though you file your flight plan like normal through ForeFlight or your normal routine, the tower at MBPV requires a paper copy.  The FBO helped get one faxed over to them and called to verify that got it and we happy.   Another thing that I found interesting is that depending on the time of day, clearance delivery, ground, tower, and approach can all be on the same frequency with one controller.   Because of the late start, we were not going to be able to make customs at Ft. Pierce before closing time at 6PM.   We elected to choose Ft. Lauderdale Executive (KFXE) where customs are open until Midnight daily.   After a dinner in Ft Lauderdale, we decided to call it a night and not push on any further.   On Easter Sunday we got up and made the trip from KFXE to Charleston, SC (KCHS) for a nice Easter brunch in downtown Charleston.   After brunch was the trip back to KBED.    I dropped her off with her mother at around 6pm.    Since I didn’t have anything scheduled Monday morning, I stayed in Boston Sunday night.   On Monday, I woke up and flew back to KERI in time to make if for my surgeries that were scheduled to start at 10AM.   

It was a great Father-Daughter week.  She is a big help with the plane and the logistics.   She and I have done international flight to several places in Canada, but this was out first Caribbean adventure on our own.   I think this really helps develop her self confidence and sense of adventure.     She isn’t afraid to try new things and figure out new situations that require flexibility.  I am very fortunate that she and I can do this sort of trip together.    

The Meridian was great for the trip.   I love the speed and altitude.   But is certainly doesn’t have the legs of a Mooney.   The thirsty PT6 needs to eat every 800nm or about 3 hours.   

It is almost impossible to take a bad picture with this scenery.

Bradb

 

F5999D19-8170-43BA-87D3-EFC8549EBDAC.thumb.jpeg.3e1f18617b6c8aabfdd775439082b634.jpegBAB1DD77-6A12-4424-83C0-789D51B859B8.thumb.jpeg.e955502a83d8c53f113afbf7ff5f1075.jpegFCCB07B0-2B2B-4188-97F2-7E98059ED112.thumb.jpeg.550d9befa566c41455f67fd778b4bbf7.jpeg35CF7038-7007-4F27-AE77-1691CBEAC200.thumb.jpeg.62cc21788cf4218ab7de33d3aba3a7fd.jpeg0922D3F1-43BB-4ECC-85E7-FABCAE7110E9.thumb.jpeg.60735f1b93a95091b3956d03ae0cceb4.jpeg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.