Today's flight in 2019

bonal

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

My slowest was 27 kts ground speed in cruise. That was in my first Mooney, a '67C going from El Paso, TX to Tucson, AZ. There was dust though 11,000 ft that was so bad I had to file IFR and I had to climb to12,000 ft. to get out of it. I had over 100kt headwinds for at least part of the flight. A UPS pilot I knew, flying roughly the same route at about the same time but obviously much higher had over 200 kts headwind.

I left KFAY on a windy day, westbound at 4000, speed about 110-115. Windy, but pretty smooth. Approaching GSP, I climbed to 6000 for terrain, turned NW towards KDYS and climbed to 9000 for terrain and speed dropped to 95 knots. But it was sundown, temps were at freezing and there were many cloud tops that I wanted to not penetrate, so I climbed to 10,000 msl and speed fell to 68. Once clear of terrain, I dropped back to 4000 and got just above 100 knots Northbound towards LEX. Then I added some east for KHTS and boy did I have some groundspeed! 

Outbound leg:  KHTW --> KFAY, 2.2 hours. Don't recall, maybe 20 gal?

Return leg:  KFAY --> KGSP --> KTYS --> KLEX --> KHTW, 4.7 hours, 41 gallons. At least it was smooth.

As we were crawling along above the highest peaks east of The River at 68 knots, indicating 135 mph [162 mphT = 141 KTAS with my old, battered doghouse], mynwife looked at the 430W and said, " Glad we aren't in a Cessna! We'd be going backwards."  :D   :lol:  That was my first flight over 4 hours [4:42 by my watch], so I was keenly interested in fuel economy. What a trip to visit the inlaws! We were a day late and still deviated around icing in southern WV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

That’s embarrassing emoji38.png

Maybe you would have been better off at a lower altitude? Yes I know you are a turbo but still...

Tom

I know, right? 

Low level wind shear, at night. with weather.  At this altitude we were VFR on top in clear smooth air, abeit the wind right on the nose. We were trying to cross the system and eventually decended and got about 90kts but it was still crazy.   At least I was in a Mooney, anything else it would have been better of driving.

• Like 1

Flight to STS today. As we pulled Snoopy out of the hangar a Mooney taxied by after having just landed. As we were getting ready the Two gentlemen came by to say hello. One was our Mooney space guy Mr. Rodgers. He was flown in by his friend to pick up his F that was parked in front of Lake Aero. As we approached STS and were cleared for the straight in for 14 the controller decided to put an Alaska Airline Horizon that was on base ahead of us. We were at just under five miles when he had us maintain 2500 or higher we watched the Horizon pass under our nose and make its turn to final. The controller then asked if we needed to over fly and come back around. There was already a few other planes closing in so I figured I would help out and advised we would just slip it in behind the Horizon. Watched where his gear touched down and landed slightly long for the wake turbulence. Was just a little role as we crossed the numbers. The controller thanked us for helping out. Slipping a short body is just fun. 

After returning from lunch walking out to the ramp from Sonoma Jet I noticed a nice looking Bravo parked next to us with some interesting tail art that looked very familiar 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Took my dad flying for the first time ever. Lets just say he was "puckered up pretty tight" for a good bit (I'd say after landing in Springdale from Grand Prairie). It was not Lufthansa or United Business or First class that he had become accustomed too/

First photo is from Friday though. Took my dad up Sunday. I had to stay in the crew lounge at KASG and finish watching the Auburn / Kentucky game (War Eagle!)

First photo from Friday and 3rd Photo with Springdale FBO in the background show that some of my polishing efforts throughout last week seemed to have paid off.

IMG_20190329_200956.thumb.jpg.79714ff1afec994aabce270479a0d3f2.jpg

mooneyMonday.jpg

MooneyMonday2.jpg

MooneyMonday3.jpg

MooneyMonday4.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Todays flight was FINALLY my xmas present arrived.  Every Pilot needs one of these, the archetypal Pilots onesie.

Its a Norwegian invention and you basically chill around the house in it.  So comfortable.  

IMG_6180.thumb.jpg.9a11675d6055a7cb5f8de71cee572bdf.jpg

But Andrew, isn't that the wrong flag on your shoulder? Itnalsomdoesnt matchnthe Navy patch on your chest . . . . .  ;)

But I like the back!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bill98 said:

Took my dad flying for the first time ever. Lets just say he was "puckered up pretty tight" for a good bit (I'd say after landing in Springdale from Grand Prairie). It was not Lufthansa or United Business or First class that he had become accustomed too/

Photo with Springdale FBO in the background show that some of my polishing efforts throughout last week seemed to have paid off.

MooneyMonday4.jpg

Sounds like a njce flight, bill. You can help polish my C any time!  :lol:

34 minutes ago, bill98 said:

I had to stay in the crew lounge at KASG and finish watching the Auburn / Kentucky game (War Eagle!)

MooneyMonday3.jpg

WAR EAGLE!! C`mon, Minneapolis! We drove through Toomer's Corner on Saturday, couldn't even see the trees. Can't imagine how it looked yesterday . . . .

Edited by Hank
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 4:43 PM, KLRDMD said:

My slowest was 27 kts ground speed in cruise. That was in my first Mooney, a '67C going from El Paso, TX to Tucson, AZ. There was dust though 11,000 ft that was so bad I had to file IFR and I had to climb to12,000 ft. to get out of it. I had over 100kt headwinds for at least part of the flight. A UPS pilot I knew, flying roughly the same route at about the same time but obviously much higher had over 200 kts headwind.

I've not yet had her go that slow...  I'll try.  ;)

The brothers that taught me to fly once flew a Champ backwards on the ramp on a windy day  in eastern Colorado.  Sadly it predated cell phones with cameras so I have no proof.

• Like 1

Photo: About half way between Tucson and Santa Fe, from 11,500 ft (not much more than 2,000 AGL).
Audio: Landing at KSAF this morning.

0a0efe9f3fc79a7f3e302adede8a306e.jpg

Picked up my plane from its Annual at LASAR. Here is a view of the San Francisco Bay from 9500 feet heading South to Van Nuys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 3/31/2019 at 6:31 PM, bonal said:

Flight to STS today. As we pulled Snoopy out of the hangar a Mooney taxied by after having just landed. As we were getting ready the Two gentlemen came by to say hello. One was our Mooney space guy Mr. Rodgers. He was flown in by his friend to pick up his F that was parked in front of Lake Aero. As we approached STS and were cleared for the straight in for 14 the controller decided to put an Alaska Airline Horizon that was on base ahead of us. We were at just under five miles when he had us maintain 2500 or higher we watched the Horizon pass under our nose and make its turn to final. The controller then asked if we needed to over fly and come back around. There was already a few other planes closing in so I figured I would help out and advised we would just slip it in behind the Horizon. Watched where his gear touched down and landed slightly long for the wake turbulence. Was just a little role as we crossed the numbers. The controller thanked us for helping out. Slipping a short body is just fun. 

After returning from lunch walking out to the ramp from Sonoma Jet I noticed a nice looking Bravo parked next to us with some interesting tail art that looked very familiar 

image.jpeg

It was great seeing you and your wife last Sunday.  Hope to see you both again very soon. Oceano fly-in coming up May 10-11.  

• Like 1

This weekend was supposed to be a Friday flight to St George to see my wife's dad, then Saturday to Salt Lake to visit family, and a Sunday return flight to SoCal. Left mag check on run-up showed a dead #2 cylinder. Short version (if you don't feel like reading the blog post) is initial check was a loose plug wire. Sure is nice having an engine monitor to tell you things. Snugged that back up and did another run-up, #2 still dead so back to the hangar and pulled the plug, it had buildup on a ground electrode shorting it out to the center electrode.

Saturday I replaced that plug, pulled all the rest to clean and gap them, and then took a nice short flight with the engine running smoother than it has for awhile. Bummer is that after landing tower said that at about 1 mile final they lost my transponder. Putting in a call to the local guy Monday morning to take a look at it.

Note: Bought a spare plug to keep in the small tool box I keep in the plane...

Your Flight Has Been Delayed - Mechanical Reasons

20190406_115211.thumb.jpg.e2b830a20cea6de8cc50b52db2d3e5ad.jpg20190406_115756.thumb.jpg.6b21a0c2297f57cee9302e6fffc69f08.jpg

• Like 3

Annual signed off and test flight completed after waiting out the constant crappy weather in Troutdale. No pictures but adsb was watching me. Looks like I’ll have to come back for the plane this weekend because there is to much icing conditions between KTTD and KGCD.
950080ba5905995313b98ab239aa7106.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Weather has been getting consistently better and yesterday was great for flying. As usual no issues with Snoopy that little airplane just loves to fly. Always beautiful this time of year with the snow still on the foothills near home and the north west end of the Sacramento valley a rich color of green. Oil change next week then ready for some springtime flights before the hot of Summer sets in. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Having replaced the door window in N2903L "Li'l Sister" this past weekend, tonight we took her on a test flight to see if the window stayed in place.  It did.  The optical qualities of new "solar gray" acrylic cannot be understated compared to the old 'crazed' green acrylic.  Beautiful, smooth, evening in Western Alabama!

20190415_193123.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, carusoam said:

Al Mooney would be amazed...   spectacular clarity of the window + HD camera!

great Pic!

Best regards,

-a-

Al Mooney would probably also be amazed that (1) his 1967 C is still flying, and (2) it just had its 1967 door window changed...:huh:

• Like 2

Gorgeous gusty day in SET (Southeast Tejas). I finished my annual (owner assist) a few weeks ago, did a very nervous, short test flight and then the weather turned. Got back in the air yesterday and could not believe how beautifully she flew. Started instantly, all the numbers in the green, took the gusts like a Mooney should and gracefully landed like a Heron. Lots of boats on the Neches these days as the energy economy booms away. Great to be a pilot, even better to be piloting a Mooney.

IMG_9612.thumb.jpg.e2fbedc3389e76836b7e1c3a7cdb8075.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Todays flight was a business trip to investigate buying a business near Peterborough.  Due to the location the best mode of transport wast have the wings spin around, so we borrowed my friends R66 (turbine no less). 

IMG_7529.thumb.JPG.9fd1d639e45caa07cdb9d8ad46f2d06f.JPG

WOW. Are you going to do a helicopter rating?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Cool.  One of my still to do dreams is to fly above a solid cloud layer on a full moon night and see the clouds all lit up.  I have never done it yet and have wamted to for nigh on 30 years.  

I did that once many years ago when I first started, when I was riding right seat with my then CFI who was delivering an airplane to Florida.  There was a moment over a cloud layer, and a full moon and a clear sky above the clouds that everything glowed in the most amazing silver light.  Luckily neither one of us was a wear wolf so the flight proceeded to a nice conclusion at Miami Executive.

• Like 2