Today's flight in 2019

bonal

Don't feel too bad, I cancelled an evening Instrument lesson when a faint wisp of smoke rose from the panel right after engine start. It turned out to be from the circuit board that the interior light dimmer goes to. Took a long while to find a replacement, had to do my IFR XC in a rental 172. The approaches were boring--so much time to do things, so few things to do . . . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I was very glad it gave up the ghost on the ground, it would have been much more stressful to have that burning electrical smell fill the cabin in the air...

Good News/Bad News...The good, if you were in the air you would have likely not have smelled any burning especially with it in the empennage, The Bad, if you were in the air you would have likely not have smelled any burning especially with it in the empennage.

Sounds like it is the time for LEDs. 

On 1/27/2019 at 7:26 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Took a fellow MSer back to his home drome yesterday. (He dropped off his nice E at @AGL Aviation to get new bladders installed.)

Breezy day with GSO reporting surface winds as 13 gusting 18 out of the west. Our destination W88 Air Harbor is about 5 miles from GSO with a 9/27 2400' x 25' r'way. Now the fun part, there are trees on the east end and the runway slopes down from east to west so the locals land on 9, depart 27 and pretty much ignore the wind.

I'm spoiled by 5500' MRN and though I go into a couple of 2900-3000' strips pretty often I was not at all sure I wanted to try a 2400' strip with a 10+ kt tailwind. Decided to fly over the field and check the sock which was not straight out so we went in on 9. Turned out to be a non event, probably used ~1500' to be down and stopped. Mooney zoom.

I had a similar experience Friday.  I took my Son in Law to an airport with a short runway where a Flight Surgeon does fly in flight physicals.  I was worried about it being short although it was plenty long at 3300.  I flew a practice approach so I had a nice straight in final.  There was a plane in the run up box on the opposite end of the runway waiting for us.  I was paying close attention.  Put it on the very end of the runway and rolled out considerably short of the midfield turn off.  I guess my 6000’ home runway hasn’t spoiled me as bad as I thought.

BTW my SIL was on the ball.  He wasn’t due his flight physical, but got it done because he turns 40 next week, so he’s good for five years.

• Like 3

After attending the PPP in Lakeland this past weekend, Sunday morning's departure let us put to use the instrument work we did while we were there. By about noon, the weather had improved enough it looked like this:

Pic-1.jpg

And after a brief 15-20 minutes in solid IMC, I was greeted by this view:

Pic-3.jpg

Pic-2.jpg

Pic-4.jpg

• Like 8

Today’s weather in the PNW.  I was scheduled to fly the Mooney to Bellingham today to drop it off for annual. I was able to to it on Wednesday when it was sunny. My friend Del flew up in his 201 and picked me up.

521628BF-D3D4-4172-9092-3842F47D38F5.jpeg

• Like 2

I was able to escape Erie, PA this morning.  There was a small break in the 40kn+ winds and snow.   There was a little turbulence on the climb for the first 4000ft or so and some light to moderate ice in the clouds until I broke out at about 6000ft.   I was rewarded with a sunny, smooth flight and nice tailwinds for the flight to the Boston area (KBED) to see my daughter for the weekend.   The photo is in straight and level cruise at FL270.  For the penny counters 250lbs/hr = about 37GPH and jet fuel this morning was about $3.70/gal.     That is about the fastest I’ve made the trip.   The tailwind is great and I was able to hit a little over 400kts ground speed on the the descent (first time over 400 for me).   The big tailwind does become a challenge sometimes on the Zelka2 arrival into KBED.   There are several step downs on the arrival that come quick with the tailwind.   Two weeks ago, I was held high until the very end and needed a 3000ft/min descent to hit my crossing altitudes.   Today wasn’t as bad.   But for a turbine, being held as high as possible as long as possible is great.   The Mooney taught me great energy control and planning lessons.

Have a great and safe weekend everyone!

Brad

Piper Meridian N951TB

Former Acclaim

18BC9545-2C5E-4557-BC54-E4710BF1E455.thumb.jpeg.0a27cedd64cc6d5c2c2a4a4a51b1ad92.jpeg

Edited by BradB
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, amillet said:

Today’s weather in the PNW.  I was scheduled to fly the Mooney to Bellingham today to drop it off for annual. I was able to to it on Wednesday when it was sunny. My friend Del flew up in his 201 and picked me up.

521628BF-D3D4-4172-9092-3842F47D38F5.jpeg

Still snowing.  19 inches at my house.  My brother in law works for the power company.. he just finished a service call 30 miles west where ther is 30 inches.

0814FB1D-0D55-44BB-ADF0-EF284ABC8361.jpeg

Edited by amillet
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Rain and snow like we're getting now used to mean mandatory stand by and being sent away for undetermined amounts of time and working until all power is restored to our customers . Now in retirement I can enjoy the wood stove keeping us nice and warm at home while working on my latest painting.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Always another couple of photos to share - similar views that all of us have... so I guess more than anything just pushing a pin in the ability for us to travel over maps and through time.  I'm always amazed and grateful for the time machine.

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

• Like 4

On 2/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, Hank said:

We're having a cold snap here in Lower Alabama, too. Barely climbed above 50° today, with the wind gusting 20+. I've been wearing short sleeve shirts the last few days, but not this morning!

Reminds me of a text strand between all my sisters and I. I'm in CA, three are in AZ, and two in UT. They got a bunch of snow and had schools cancelled a couple weeks ago in UT. I mentioned that it had been particularly chilly here in SoCal and one of my sisters from AZ weighed in that it had been cold enough there she was trying to decide between flip-flops and tennis shoes to take the dog for a walk. :lol:

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 7:35 PM, bonal said:

Rain and snow like we're getting now used to mean mandatory stand by and being sent away for undetermined amounts of time and working until all power is restored to our customers . Now in retirement I can enjoy the wood stove keeping us nice and warm at home while working on my latest painting.

image.jpeg

I just noticed this. If that's not my airplane, it is a spitting image of mine. I think I need that painting !

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_9699.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I just noticed this. If that's not my airplane, it is a spitting image of mine. I think I need that painting !

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_9699.JPG

I'm not sure why you would want a copy of that painting. You change planes more frequently than some do underwear. Afraid you will buy the same plane twice? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Finally got to fly today, even though winds were a bit brisk we set out for a quick hop over the hills to STS. Winds on landing were 15 gusts to 21 at about 80 degrees to RWY 32. Could have requested the crosswind RWY but thought the winds would keep me honest and I have never minded cross wind landings.  Unfortunately the crew cars were out so we took on some fuel and coffee then headed home. Just as we were about to rotate on departure we took a big gust that took quite a bit of role and rudder to keep it from going sideways even though I had quite a bit of right aileron already in.  The ride was pretty bumpy but not too bad. Was real happy with my patterns considering the strong gusty winds and how long it's been since we last flew.

Taking a friend and his son (who is 18 and has only been in a commercial plane once at 5 yo) tomorrow so figured I better post about last Saturday's flight first.

Finally everything is back together and working, the weather was clear, and my schedule was free so I took my wife and son to go see the beautiful green hills.

https://intothesky.us/2019/02/16/the-green-hills/

20190216_103530.thumb.jpg.6eccbac0dd57001e40a0c880f49b761e.jpg20190216_103951.thumb.jpg.9e59022a69881b0dba36e14b60d8d9ec.jpg20190216_110534.thumb.jpg.ade0043cfc903e4da2b4eda1e07067f7.jpg20190216_124042.thumb.jpg.8d7e8b3d5cc3cc2a4cd9f376f8467c1f.jpg20190216_124925.thumb.jpg.556dcbc661c5d9723ff45c803667346d.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Thank you for the photographs and wonderful memories of my visit almost 10 years ago.

Let me know where else you went and I will happily let you live vicariously through me!

I had this picture printed to a canvas wrap and boy do I like how it came out. (Black TV on bottom left is a 60 inch LED - for reference)

frame.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bill98 said:

Let me know where else you went and I will happily let you live vicariously through me!

Thank you Bill.  That is very kind of you to offer.

The other place I primarily visited was Kerrville for the MAPA Mooney Homecoming, which included a visit to the factory organised by the lovely Susan Harrison who was a senior sales rep.  It was just after Mooney let go most of their staff with only a skeleton crew left, which if I recall correctly was between 15 and 8.

Although I enjoyed the visit to Mooney, at the same time it was sad to see what was once an obvious vibrant facility reduced to not much more than idle machinery.

Fredericksburg township and the airport were highlights that I won't forget. 

• Like 1

KMTH and back, tail wind in both directions.  Many conch’s, claws, and tails were consumed and I became introduced to something called a Painkiller which I highly recommend.  

Edited by M20F
  • Like 1

Not my flight.... but a father of one of my daughters’ classmates found out I had a Mooney. He’s been chomping at the bit to get a check ride. So, I had him added to my insurance (no additional cost due to his experience), and arranged for my FI to get him signed off. 

I have a lot of non-flying vacation coming up over the summer, and this bird wants to be in the air. So, there’s now a second option to have someone willing to take my girl up when I’m unable. 

Some photos of her coming out from the hangar, run up and video of takeoff. 

D298E3D5-7BB9-42BB-AC0A-CC507BFAC39E.jpeg

6F663815-0537-436F-B97C-D17977FE720F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GLJA said:

Not my flight.... but a father of one of my daughters’ classmates found out I had a Mooney. He’s been chomping at the bit to get a check ride. So, I had him added to my insurance (no additional cost due to his experience), and arranged for my FI to get him signed off. 

I have a lot of non-flying vacation coming up over the summer, and this bird wants to be in the air. So, there’s now a second option to have someone willing to take my girl up when I’m unable. 

Some photos of her coming out from the hangar, run up and video of takeoff. 

1642C7C3-C66A-4F29-88CB-550875791D2F.MOV

Next time, please upload the video somewhere and post a link. I downloaded all 66MB, and the takeoff sounded nice. The image never changed, though--the plane sat motionless as power was applied and the source moved away and up. Judging from the look of the prop, you have a 3-blade. Climbs great!