Today's flight in 2019

bonal

Flew to Hartford Brainard - KHFD today - to drop my wife off to spend a few days with her mom. Then I flew home.  Beautiful clear day.  But a little bit chilly - "crisp".  It was -23F this morning as the sun rose so we delayed a bit and got underway around 1030 when the temps rose had risen to about -5F.  It was still -10F in the hangar but the turbo-reiff heater (oil and cylinder bands) + full bruces insulated wrap still had the oil at 91F before I even turned on the key.  But interestingly, at 1000rpm and lean for taxi - the oil cooled off to 85F so it took a little while to get the oil to heat up to 101F for the mag check.  Home tarmac was all white but in that very cold snow, its very rough and has a lot of traction almost like sand.  But on arriving at KHFD the atis warned ice runway with breaking action poor - and wow they were not kidding.  It was plowed wide and 4400 ft but it was literally a slick ice rink - just the slightest tap of breaks and slide - so I just let it roll out on its own.  With a long runway our airplanes are basically airships as if an airboat on water.  The tarmac was so slick it took that slow short step "hockey coach" walk to keep safe.  I found a small patch of clear though to park so when I restarted I did my runup before I even moved since run up would have been impossible on any other piece of ice.
I took this picture on the way home.  I don't usually fly so low so I was enjoying the view!  There were some very cool wind turbines right in front when I took the picture.  Wind energy - plus my flight was enjoying wind energy - I went out at 11500 with some nice tail winds and and ground speeds like 220 kts at very low power settings and then returned at 4500 (but later 6500 to keep safe in the Adironack mountains) with ground speeds from 135-160 on much higher power settings.  It was a much more balmy 5F when I got home.  
Tomorrow they forecast 38F and ice rain!  I think I'll leave N314EB safely in the hangar for that!
IMG_3448.thumb.jpg.3dd396476b3a1f2e92d48225f7a349e8.jpg

I know they converted Plattsburgh from a military airport to civilian use at some point. I remember flying up to an airport years ago that was in the Plattsburgh ATA, er, Class D ring. Filed in, landed and picked up my wife and sister-in-law and promptly took off VFR without talking to the tower. Got home, realized what I did and filed my first NASA form. Never heard anything about it.

What was the name of that satellite airport? It looks like it is still on the sectional but Xd out.

942c673467831b1e44a17301698970fc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I know they converted Plattsburgh from a military airport to civilian use at some point. I remember flying up to an airport years ago that was in the Plattsburgh ATA, er, Class D ring. Filed in, landed and picked up my wife and sister-in-law and promptly took off VFR without talking to the tower. Got home, realized what I did and filed my first NASA form. Never heard anything about it.

What was the name of that satellite airport? It looks like it is still on the sectional but Xd out.

942c673467831b1e44a17301698970fc.jpg

That Plattburgh satellite airport is a dead airport - runway is still there, with x's on it.  The big Plattsburgh airport, KPBG is the former Air Force base runway, and 12,000 ft or so - I took my commercial test ride there, and the DPE mentioned that he does primary training sometimes in a cub I think it was and they do a dozen touch and goes, all straight ahead.  I was there about 2 weeks ago dropping my son off to catch a commercial flight south.  There are lots and lots of massive hangars suitable for storing your B52 bombers.  Now as a GA airport, there are more hangars than airplanes.  Still an active enough airport as a GA airport but not like when they had dozens of long range bombers.  Massive tarmac area too. massive.   I remember first time I flew there many years ago, I flared way too high because of the strange visual illusion of the way over sided runway.  No tower anymore either.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

That Plattburgh satellite airport is a dead airport - runway is still there, with x's on it.  The big Plattsburgh airport, KPBG is the former Air Force base runway, and 12,000 ft or so - I took my commercial test ride there, and the DPE mentioned that he does primary training sometimes in a cub I think it was and they do a dozen touch and goes, all straight ahead.  I was there about 2 weeks ago dropping my son off to catch a commercial flight south.  There are lots and lots of massive hangars suitable for storing your B52 bombers.  Now as a GA airport, there are more hangars than airplanes.  Still an active enough airport as a GA airport but not like when they had dozens of long range bombers.  Massive tarmac area too. massive.   I remember first time I flew there many years ago, I flared way too high because of the strange visual illusion of the way over sided runway.  No tower anymore either.

Do you remember the name of the satellite? I suspect Plattsburgh is similar to Bangor. I remember landing at Bangor and taxiing a bit before getting to the taxiway.

Today’s flight was in a Cessna with my son at the controls. It was his second lesson and we flew around and did some climbs and turns then the instructor said “why don’t we head back to the airport.” We entered downwind, my son turned base, then final then I hear “pull back, a little more..a little more” then we made contact with the ground and I realized my 8 year old son just landed a plane! The instructor wasn’t even touching the controls! And it wasn’t any worse than some of my landings!

642CB8D5-5658-4276-B40F-6E643B4135B8.jpeg

• Like 9

Had to ferry my plane to Vegas this weekend since the weather won’t be good enough next weekend. But it’s here and will be ready for some IR training come the 4th. The flight down today was nice. Weather couldn’t have been much better. I was disappointed in the tail winds. ForeFlight had been forecasting them at 23kts the last few days. And it turned out to be 7-10 kts. But still no complaints from this Mooney owner.
0d14a104aafd5e5a02658d2f895786e1.jpg
e8a8815cd8fe49ffb6d4df258d88c863.jpge8d6f401f1c5ead7463251f483948eb4.jpgc309a150a0194c672b95ca2c0279b001.jpgafaf7ee25cc930cb9bdce20ad96f3f0d.jpgc1599c72fc477f5110536a4a9ee914e6.jpg0f8e967a40831a15f3d140fbd6b81d42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Took a fellow MSer back to his home drome yesterday. (He dropped off his nice E at @AGL Aviation to get new bladders installed.)

Breezy day with GSO reporting surface winds as 13 gusting 18 out of the west. Our destination W88 Air Harbor is about 5 miles from GSO with a 9/27 2400' x 25' r'way. Now the fun part, there are trees on the east end and the runway slopes down from east to west so the locals land on 9, depart 27 and pretty much ignore the wind.

I'm spoiled by 5500' MRN and though I go into a couple of 2900-3000' strips pretty often I was not at all sure I wanted to try a 2400' strip with a 10+ kt tailwind. Decided to fly over the field and check the sock which was not straight out so we went in on 9. Turned out to be a non event, probably used ~1500' to be down and stopped. Mooney zoom.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Danb said:

Bobby boy Ytb, we’re getting better not older. I may unleash the beast today it’s been 10 days since up.

Go for it Dan! (I just check CloudAhoy. Officially landing took 1687' leaving 717' for taxi. The tailwind component was 9 kts.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Go for it Dan! (I just check CloudAhoy. Officially landing took 1687' leaving 717' for taxi. The tailwind component was 9 kts.)

Jeez I never used cloud ahoy, us dummies are hard to train new tricks

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

You're a brave man. Bob! Having been based at an obstructed 3000' field, the 2400 wouldn't bother me; I've visited a 2000' grass strip obstructed on one end many times, and did a simulated engine out during MAPA PPP to 2400 x 30, full stop. But that tailwind . . . .

I've made two [poor] landings with tailwinds reported after the fact. The first one, FSS recommended a runway and as a new pilot I used it. Lots of floating, moving sideways, tail swinging out, finally touched down. The next plane took off on the crosswind runway. The other time Tower at FXE switched me from GPS 27 to Visual 31 about 2 miles out, because "it aligned better with the wind." My landing was similar except even longer with poor directional control during the several-thousand-foot float [at the proper IAS!]. The next plane was instructed to land on 13.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

You're a brave man. Bob! Having been based at an obstructed 3000' field, the 2400 wouldn't bother me; I've visited a 2000' grass strip obstructed on one end many times, and did a simulated engine out during MAPA PPP to 2400 x 30, full stop. But that tailwind . . . .

I've made two [poor] landings with tailwinds reported after the fact. The first one, FSS recommended a runway and as a new pilot I used it. Lots of floating, moving sideways, tail swinging out, finally touched down. The next plane took off on the crosswind runway. The other time Tower at FXE switched me from GPS 27 to Visual 31 about 2 miles out, because "it aligned better with the wind." My landing was similar except even longer with poor directional control during the several-thousand-foot float [at the proper IAS!]. The next plane was instructed to land on 13.

I have a CYA100 AoA. On final I flew the AOA close to the stall and ignored the ground speed.

KGPM-KIWS 

ATC thanked me for my PIREPS  Cleared me to IWS and said “no traffic”  maybe at the time there wasn’t at that exact second but man did the airport become wild  as the clouds and fogs were burning off there were 7 planes licking their lips to take off  solo student had just departed and a Debonaire came out of no where  

picked up my mom for her first time ever flying with me  she gave me the stink eye for having a mustache  

KIWS - KOCH

my best friend flew his 182RG (310HP engine so in theory could keep up with the E) from KDTN with his GF

an old friend and her husband met us at KOCH. Husband is half owner of a 66 V-Tail Bonanza 

Then  KOCH - KIWS dropped Ed off my mom

KIWS-KGPM

1A1EBAD0-99AE-43BD-B89C-D6EFECB01E2F.jpeg

6C49F1EB-C8CE-40A6-90B9-B4C78C1C00F7.jpeg

C5D8EE77-AF84-4A2B-8848-00A5B4A7AF6B.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Niko, what event was that?

The black and white pic is perfect!

Best regards,

-a-

Was the amboy fly in. Great little group round up. First gravel strip I've landed at, and will be the last for a while. I did fine but another guy down there injured his cessnas tail and prop with a nice tail strike, and the nose came down dinging up the prop. His prop didnt make contact with the ground but it did with a lot of rocks. Ill still be fine with good grass and good dirt, but gravel is a bit much. Too many rocks flying around. Anyhow, i was the only mooney there. Wonderful amount of people and a ton of fun. Got about 30 planes out there. First fly in I've been at, and I will be to many more, as flying wise, that was some of the most fun ive had in quite a while.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

Niko, what event was that?

The black and white pic is perfect!

Best regards,

-a-

For Bill...

Post a pic of mom!

My mother never went for a flight... I have pics of here taxiing around in the 65 M20C...  :) 

CBA4B52F-9DFD-4460-BA91-16DB4D29012A.jpeg

51127068_4573831913729_77037295085027328_o.jpg

• Like 4

I had some former work friends in town on their way to Vegas for company meetings. After a proper BBQ meal Saturday night, I suggested we might go see the Texas countryside on Sunday... All of them being from overseas, two from Dubai, one from Johannesburg, and one from Amsterdam, they do a lot of flying, but never get to ride up front.

@bucko, @"Chocks", Doc, and myself met up for some formation work over Canyon Lake, TX. And my friends each got a right seat to watch the action.

IMG_0229.thumb.JPG.d4fec19f2c329b887ad3270401ea5b36.JPG

IMG_0224.thumb.JPG.1b6a772edd536d55b9e381ff880652fc.JPG

IMG_0203.thumb.JPG.4bf4ccca2bac87685eb46afa62bc45f6.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I had some former work friends in town on their way to Vegas for company meetings. After a proper BBQ meal Saturday night, I suggested we might go see the Texas countryside on Sunday... All of them being from overseas, two from Dubai, one from Johannesburg, and one from Amsterdam, they do a lot of flying, but never get to ride up front.

@bucko, @"Chocks", Doc, and myself met up for some formation work over Canyon Lake, TX. And my friends each got a right seat to watch the action.

IMG_0229.thumb.JPG.d4fec19f2c329b887ad3270401ea5b36.JPG

IMG_0224.thumb.JPG.1b6a772edd536d55b9e381ff880652fc.JPG

IMG_0203.thumb.JPG.4bf4ccca2bac87685eb46afa62bc45f6.JPG

Love the retro paint with 

• Like 3

Today's flight didn't leave the ground. I made the 5 minute drive from work to the new hangar and my wife and son met me there. The plan was to go up for a sunset flight along the coast. Everything looked good in pre-flight, including the recently lubed coffee grinder beacon. Pulled the plane out, everyone climbed in and started it up. I tuned in the ATIS and before I could finish listening to it there was a terrible electrical burning smell... Bad news. No smoke, just the smell. Shut down and everyone climbed out. Tried to find where the smell was coming from but couldn't locate it. Got back in and just turned on the master and started with different switches to see if I could find it but alas there was no new smell, just the lingering smell. Thinking the last thing done on the plane was the beacon I got out and reached through the storm window to turn on the beacon, the lights were bright but it wasn't turning. Opening up the side panel the acrid smell was very strong in the empennage, the motor was fried.

We missed seeing a beautiful sunset from the air, but I was very glad it gave up the ghost on the ground, it would have been much more stressful to have that burning electrical smell fill the cabin in the air...

20190129_171134.thumb.jpg.aeffe66cd23aa9136359a644b9f8c79f.jpg20190129_172038.thumb.jpg.08858329f1be647bc16b97db31896a52.jpg20190129_172200.thumb.jpg.2fe520389337e4ebdfffb2128f527642.jpg20190129_172701.thumb.jpg.d6f3215670324e57b4e9ef26d8696627.jpg

• Sad 2