Today's flight in 2019

bonal

Todays flight wasn’t mine, but was the proudest day of my recent life.  My 15 year old daughter soloed in our 150.

Clarence

edit: My wife found a picture of Amanda flying our second Mooney E model.

9BBD8F27-BC1E-461E-8F5B-0A8655BFF20A.jpeg

9D48DB0B-B2A5-4E69-A124-108C4F91D8BD.jpeg

Edited by M20Doc

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Fantastic, Clarence!

Are you able to share the names of the girl and the dog?

The dog looks equally happy about the day.

Best regards,

-a-

My daughter is Amanda, our dog is Igor.  She has flown with me since she was about 1 year old.  She is working on her Recreational Pilots licence, (similar to a Sport pilots licence) then hopefully on to her PPL.  On the Recreational licence she will be able work her way up our RV4 and the Comanche 400.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

My daughter is Amanda, our dog is Igor.  She has flown with me since she was about 1 year old.  She is working on her Recreational Pilots licence, (similar to a Sport pilots licence) then hopefully on to her PPL.  On the Recreational licence she will be able work her way up our RV4 and the Comanche 400.

Clarence

Wow, a U.S. Sport Certificate won't go nearly that far! 120 mph and 10,000 msl afe the limits . . . Or ismit 120 knots? Either way, it's not the speed you fly, it's the top speed of the plane. Retract is also verbote, and adjustable pitch props are "ground adjustable" only. Something like your Recreational license would probably be a big hit down here . . . . Sounds very similar to our PPL . . . . .

16 minutes ago, bill98 said:

One day I will figure out how to download data from my JPI too :)

Just plug a USB stick into the port on the face of the JPI. A message will pop up asking if you want to download, click Yes.  It will take a few seconds to start, you'll get the progress bar, then when finished, just remove the USB stick.

You might need an adaptor.

10 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Just plug a USB stick into the port on the face of the JPI. A message will pop up asking if you want to download, click Yes.  It will take a few seconds to start, you'll get the progress bar, then when finished, just remove the USB stick.

You might need an adaptor.

Every time I do that it makes it appear as if everything was downloaded. But then the actual file is only 1kb. 

image.png.4901785621697a0c0160229a005e5ede.png

image.thumb.png.512e820512ca91ef7595709fbbbbd06b.png

Does anyone know an IT guy?!

1 hour ago, bill98 said:

Every time I do that it makes it appear as if everything was downloaded. But then the actual file is only 1kb. 

image.png.4901785621697a0c0160229a005e5ede.png

image.thumb.png.512e820512ca91ef7595709fbbbbd06b.png

Does anyone know an IT guy?!

You may need to check your data recording settings in the JPI. It may be that you are really not recording the data. If they are set correctly, I would call JPI technical support to get help on why it isn't recording.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You may need to check your data recording settings in the JPI. It may be that you are really not recording the data. If they are set correctly, I would call JPI technical support to get help on why it isn't recording.

Good point. You can find in the user guide how to set your data recording to 2 seconds... down from the default of 6 seconds. You want to do that anyway. Yours might be set to Off.

• Like 1

After an annual in December and a very busy December/January I finally flew yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks. Longest stretch since my first flight in May 2016. It was a short hop, about 10 minutes) from Corona to Fullerton where the plane will now be based. Two years ago the price difference between the two made sense to go to Corona. With two rent increases it is now only $23 more a month at Fullerton so I have spent the last 8 months on their waiting list and got to move in yesterday.

Bigger hangar, same distance from my house, no traffic to fight to get there, control tower, actual security (no homeless people wandering the airport at night), two miles from one of the dealerships I work at, it all makes sense.

New Home - KFUL

20190119_143120.thumb.jpg.02efb3b8098b541b8c7af8e6b7d1c405.jpg20190119_143125.thumb.jpg.66d9abfd7811e9bbfb3adf20a18734ed.jpg20190119_151306.thumb.jpg.774135210c98b3fd28af651520244859.jpgScreenshot_20190120-090604_DroidEFB.thumb.jpg.b571d3433128461b03e74ec7c6f2b23a.jpg

• Like 7

After an annual in December and a very busy December/January I finally flew yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks. Longest stretch since my first flight in May 2016. It was a short hop, about 10 minutes) from Corona to Fullerton where the plane will now be based. Two years ago the price difference between the two made sense to go to Corona. With two rent increases it is now only $23 more a month at Fullerton so I have spent the last 8 months on their waiting list and got to move in yesterday.
Bigger hangar, same distance from my house, no traffic to fight to get there, control tower, actual security (no homeless people wandering the airport at night), two miles from one of the dealerships I work at, it all makes sense.
New Home - KFUL
20190119_143120.thumb.jpg.02efb3b8098b541b8c7af8e6b7d1c405.jpg20190119_143125.thumb.jpg.66d9abfd7811e9bbfb3adf20a18734ed.jpg20190119_151306.thumb.jpg.774135210c98b3fd28af651520244859.jpgScreenshot_20190120-090604_DroidEFB.thumb.jpg.b571d3433128461b03e74ec7c6f2b23a.jpg

What is that blue stuff above you? All I see here is gray stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Another flight to Orlando to see our son. Great weekend, but coming back after heavy storms in central GA, we were the recipients of a nice 45 knot headwind.  Smooth flight until the descent and 20G27 landing. Overall everything went well.  Very grateful for the Mooney's speed and my instrument rating. This trip wouldnt have been practical without either. 

IMG_20190120_104051.jpg

IMG_20190120_110129.jpg

• Like 6

A first for me in my J model, flying down from Tampa to my home base I scored a ground speed of 192 kts while riding a cold front on my tail. The forecast at all altitudes was for moderate turbulence yet our ride at 5,000 feet was smooth as glass. The only hairy part was the crosswind landing with gusts to 30.

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_1974.jpeg

• Like 5

Weather here in NorCal has been very rainy with low ceilings but makes for perfect weather to be doing a different kind of Mooney time. Here are a couple paintings from images my wife and I liked. Sky's are clearing so hopefully we will be getting some flying in soon.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Weather here in NorCal has been very rainy with low ceilings but makes for perfect weather to be doing a different kind of Mooney time. Here are a couple paintings from images my wife and I liked. Sky's are clearing so hopefully we will be getting some flying in soon.

Nice!  I think these are the best you've posted here.   Very cool.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bonal said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Nice!  I think these are the best you've posted here.   Very cool.

I second that! John, these are amazing, you truly have a talent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flew to Hartford Brainard - KHFD today - to drop my wife off to spend a few days with her mom. Then I flew home.  Beautiful clear day.  But a little bit chilly - "crisp".  It was -23F this morning as the sun rose so we delayed a bit and got underway around 1030 when the temps rose had risen to about -5F.  It was still -10F in the hangar but the turbo-reiff heater (oil and cylinder bands) + full bruces insulated wrap still had the oil at 91F before I even turned on the key.  But interestingly, at 1000rpm and lean for taxi - the oil cooled off to 85F so it took a little while to get the oil to heat up to 101F for the mag check.  Home tarmac was all white but in that very cold snow, its very rough and has a lot of traction almost like sand.  But on arriving at KHFD the atis warned ice runway with breaking action poor - and wow they were not kidding.  It was plowed wide and 4400 ft but it was literally a slick ice rink - just the slightest tap of breaks and slide - so I just let it roll out on its own.  With a long runway our airplanes are basically airships as if an airboat on water.  The tarmac was so slick it took that slow short step "hockey coach" walk to keep safe.  I found a small patch of clear though to park so when I restarted I did my runup before I even moved since run up would have been impossible on any other piece of ice.

I took this picture on the way home.  I don't usually fly so low so I was enjoying the view!  There were some very cool wind turbines right in front when I took the picture.  Wind energy - plus my flight was enjoying wind energy - I went out at 11500 with some nice tail winds and and ground speeds like 220 kts at very low power settings and then returned at 4500 (but later 6500 to keep safe in the Adironack mountains) with ground speeds from 135-160 on much higher power settings.  It was a much more balmy 5F when I got home.  

Tomorrow they forecast 38F and ice rain!  I think I'll leave N314EB safely in the hangar for that!

IMG_3448.jpg

• Like 4