Today's flight in 2019

bonal

1 hour ago, rbp said:

which winch did you buy?

I forgot - it was a standard open spool truck winch and it worked ok, but it did get tangled sometimes.  Well since this posting - the motor died after about 6 or 7 years in service (but it wasn't used all that much so not a lot of service).  Then I got a stand alone sealed winch which was only trouble and tangled constantly.  Forget that - my next plan - I will be doing in the next few weeks - I will make a simple block and tackle setup do I can just pull the plane back into the hangar with a rope line, and no motors to fuss with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rbp said:

I have been looking at this or something similar for years.  l’m wondering if a 35-foot cable is enough, and wondering how much up-slope it takes before the winch stalls or the tail comes off.  Please give a PIREP when you can.

29 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

I have been looking at this or something similar for years.  l’m wondering if a 35-foot cable is enough, and wondering how much up-slope it takes before the winch stalls or the tail comes off.  Please give a PIREP when you can.

I bought a "2160 lb. Capacity 1-3/4 in. x 15 ft. Tow Strap" for another $8. i don't have much slope, and only one short lip at the entrance to the hangar. will report back in a couple of weeks