Today's flight in 2019

bonal

Flew Lil' Sister to a meeting in MS 12/23/19.  Thanks to a big extra-tropical low over the FL panhandle, had a rippin tailwind on the way, but low ceilings everywhere.  196 kt GS in cruise descent.  Shot my first RNAV approach to minimums since earning my IR.  Need to practice watching needles while looking for runway...

I need a cup holder.

sunspot.jpg

need_cup_holder.jpg

• Like 4

Yesterday our friends granddaughter came to visit, she's eight and the first thing she asked was if we could go flying. It was severe clear so couldn't say no to that. We flew down to Nut tree as there is a Fentons ice creamery just a short walk from the field. Don't know what got into  Snoopy but was actually able to see the CHT gauge peak and decline before engine began to run rough at least 25 degrees LOP. Never been able to do that. We were at 6500ft 2450/21 getting IAS of 137 knots. OAT was about 35 degrees and altimeter was 29.92 snoopy likes cold air. Not nearly a single bump in the air but VCB was gusting to 21 at about 80 degrees off runway heading. Anyway was a great day to be out flying.

Edited by bonal
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, pmccand said:

Gusting to 21 and 80 degrees off runway is a “great day to be out flying?!!  

Not a chance!  I’m tied down, thank you! :blink:

It's all what you're used to. I'm not that current right now, but it usually wouldn't bother me. My IFR checkride on 23 was gusting intomthe high teens and 180-250 variable.

• Like 1

...lemme try that again...

Flew to Grinell, IA yesterday with a co-worker to meet with a vendor and shoot some pheasants.  All of northern IL was 1000 OVC or less with good visibility.  Departure just before sunrise to scud run to a nearby field to pickup co-worker was busy, to say the least.  I wouldn’t try this except locally and with a current obstacle database, and stuff happens fast.

on top of the overcast, and after the sun had come up a bit, we were treated to a Glory that I think photographed ok.

on the night return leg, we were scratching our heads to identify a huge glowing area near Rochelle, IL.  Post flight internet search identified it as a large hydroponic tomato operation, Mighty Vines.  I’ve never seen something like that before, and sadly, the pictures didn’t come out at all.  

092224FD-C5D4-46F9-B0D5-15C5AC92C391.jpeg

Edited by exM20K
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Dan,

Did you get any pheasants?

:)

Best regards,

-a-

First time out in a couple of years, and I was a bit of a spaz.  Took three for sure, and among our party of three we took 16.  We had to hurry because Grinnell Municipal Airport just re-did the runway, but they won't get the lights installed until May. Runway NOTAM'd closed sunset-sunrise. Simply a perfect day to be outside walking around in tall grass w/ guns and dogs - sunny, not a breath of wind, high 30's.  Dogs didn't overheat, and we didn't freeze.  Thanks for asking :-)

Edited by exM20K
  • Like 4

Last flight of 2019.  Walk the dog... which is what I call these flights going no where in particular the main mission that it’s been long enough to need to run the machine to keep it from corroding.  It’s only been a week / but bad weather is coming.  We had complete snow melt as you see - but two days of ice rain start in like 15 min...

So I made up a mission - I did 3 approaches.

oh and it looks like I was flying aerobatics from the sideways pic.  I kept wings level.

see ya in 2020 good ol N-Pi plane.

EAAFCECC-DA41-47FF-AD72-F18F89C173D4.jpeg

• Like 4

Last flight of 2019 for me today.

Perfect day on the left coast! :D

Super smooth and super clear along the central coast of CA, up and over our beautiful green landscape mountains, and our oh so blue Pacific Ocean coastline.

Wow!  I never get bored of the thrill of flight!:)

Happy, healthy, fun, safe and prosperous 2020 to all !!:)

• Like 3

Just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you that shared your flights and stories on this thread. Hope everyone had a great year in 2019 we are all so blessed to be able to take to the sky in our machines.  No matter what type Mooney or other great aircraft you fly they all bring a very special set of emotions and joy that we all have in common. 

Wishing all of you a happy and blessed new year

• Like 6

Flew to N Myrtle today. Lots of people requesting different altitudes as the turb was pretty bad. eman didn’t care, as he was going to myrtle. Also, once again, not a single cloud in the sky for me to play in. Had a nice tailwind and was doing about 180 over the ground.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

It's 2020 - why are we still posting on the 2019 thread?!  It is so last decade.

But we all know that decades run from Year 1 to Year 10, because we are people and start counting with One. So today is the first dsy of the last year of the decade. Just like the Millenium didn't start in 2000, but in Stanley Kubrick's 2001 . . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

But we all know that decades run from Year 1 to Year 10, because we are people and start counting with One. So today is the first dsy of the last year of the decade. Just like the Millenium didn't start in 2000, but in Stanley Kubrick's 2001 . . . . . 

Yah yah I know.  But I don't buy it.  A decade is 10 years.  You can say its a new decade whenever you want.  On June 13, 2023 at 3:37PM EST you can say - yay!  Its a new decade.  If you want.  Counting back 10 years from that moment.  

Me - I like when the odometer on my car rolls over a new digit in each significant position. 

I don't care what happened in the year 1 A.D. or if those people over 2000 years ago may not have counted the first year as zero.  Or what Stanley liked.  I don't care if we are using the Gregorian calendar, or the Julian calendar or the Incan calendar. 

So I will be precise - yay its been another decade since the second least significant digit changed on my iPhone!

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1