Today's flight in 2019

bonal

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

MS...

5) lessons in geography include... all the great pics in this thread!   Three rivers, but not three mile island... TMI is a bit further East.... (Harrisburg)

Been there too - and then did touch and goes on the 11000ft long runway at Harrisburg Int'l, albeit not in a Mooney at the time as evidenced by the wing struts.

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Flew down to see our son in Madison, WI Saturday.  Five hour drive, 40 minute flight.  We departed just before sunset and were treated to a pretty impressive one from the cockpit on our northbound leg back to the U.P. 

MSP Center started asking me which runway I intended to land on from 80 miles out (VMC conditions with 4k-6k overcast, I was at FL180).  He asked another plane the same, who I could see on my ADS-B Traffic depiction, and was quite a bit closer to KIMT.  Then a supervisor came on and asked both of us again a few minutes later  (winds out of the south and both of us planning runway 19).  Then he told me to keep my speed up, I was number one.  I had 80 knots on the Pilatus and don't think he was impressed.  I DID cancel once the field was in sight so he didn't get any delay.  I was shutting down at my hangar when he reported final.  (And I built this plane in my garage! ..... COOL).

Tom

12-07-19 MSN Flight A.jpg

12-07-19 MSN Flight B.jpg

• Like 17

For some reason could not add text to pics above . Well we got a break in the weather yesterday and today so we got Snoopy out for some Santa sleigh ride shopping to STS yesterday and VCB today. I have to say Sonoma Jet Center continues to impress. They were very busy and the courtesy cars had just gone out ahead of our arrival. They arranged a lift ride for me and my wife down town and then got us another ride to return to the airport and covered the cost of both trips. Above and beyond good service. Nice flights both days without any problems other than the crowds at the mall. Living in the country you lose tolerance for critical mass but was nice to see so many people out enjoying the holiday season. Merry Christmas every one and wishes for safe travels throughout the season.

• Like 4

Those look like Bonals...

You know, paintings... from the artist currently known as Bonal...  :)

Or are they pics with lots of color detail and shading?

John takes pics using an artist’s eye... not the kind of pics I usually get.... :)

Fantastic!

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

A beautiful flight today from MI to the mountains of NC - My favorite "Carolina on my mind" route to one of the most beautiful airports in the east: 24A. Locals call it the USS Cullowhee, cut out of the top of a mountain and ringed by higher peaks. And with a DH of almost 1600' AGL, the only approach makes it pretty much a fair weather destination. But it sure is beautiful.

IMG_2939.thumb.jpg.b28bc2437e3b1148f6831a7a64c4658e.jpg

On the way, a GS of 185 kts at 13 GPH. What is not to love about that. What a machine. Tomorrow a BBQ run...

IMG_3458.thumb.jpg.88f8e9a6ca54953b54168b87dd1e7c1c.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, FlyingScot said:

A beautiful flight today from MI to the mountains of NC - My favorite "Carolina on my mind" route to one of the most beautiful airports in the east: 24A. Locals call it the USS Cullowhee, cut out of the top of a mountain and ringed by higher peaks. And with a DH of almost 1600' AGL, the only approach makes it pretty much a fair weather destination. But it sure is beautiful.

On the way, 198 kts true with a GS of 185 kts at 13 GPH. What is not to love about that. What a machine. Tomorrow a BBQ run...

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

Great flight! Extremely jealous of that TAS at that altitude.  Did you rub olive oil on your wings?

Your CAS looks a little high on the 750, either way very fast and amazing machine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlyingScot said:

On the way, 198 kts true with a GS of 185 kts at 13 GPH. What is not to love about that. What a machine. Tomorrow a BBQ run...

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

How can you get that TAS? Espiaclly with TKS?

• Like 1

I've never done a video before, so not sure this will work.  I flew a friend (Bruce St Onge) over to the MSP area after he covered an all day med flight for me when he should have been driving to MSP for his Sun Country job (737 pilot).  Bruce helped me build the Lancair, back in the earlier years, and I covered the first third to half of his PP expenses which he completed (as well as his IFR rating) before he graduated from high school.  I didn't realize until yesterday he had never gotten a ride in the plane yet.  

He video'ed me starting up and taxing off from KLVN (Air Lake) but his phone died after about a minute.  He had intended to video the take-off too.  He was pretty impressed with the plane, showing all his buddies in the crew lounge last night my trip back to IMT.  After all the hours he put into my project, I'm glad he was able to enjoy our flight last night!

Beware (and turn your volume up), it doesn't sound like your typical Lycoming or Continental when it fires up. ;)

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Beware (and turn your volume up), it doesn't sound like your typical Lycoming or Continental when it fires up. ;)

Tom

Tom, very cool video, would love to have seen the take off. Watching the video with you starting up in the dark and just hearing the sound, if I didn't know what your plane looks like I would have thought it was a much bigger plane. Still, even knowing what your plane looks like, just listening to it and then seeing the lights come on my thought was "that's a ton of engine for that airframe." That thought was followed immediately by "That's awesome!" 

I seem to recall years (decades) ago joking about the A-7 and the big intake on it, that they took the biggest engine they could find and built a small plane around it. That also crossed my mind watching the video. Truly an amazing plane you have built. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've never done a video before, so not sure this will work.  I flew a friend (Bruce St Onge) over to the MSP area after he covered an all day med flight for me when he should have been driving to MSP for his Sun Country job (737 pilot).  Bruce helped me build the Lancair, back in the earlier years, and I covered the first third to half of his PP expenses which he completed (as well as his IFR rating) before he graduated from high school.  I didn't realize until yesterday he had never gotten a ride in the plane yet.  
He video'ed me starting up and taxing off from KLVN (Air Lake) but his phone died after about a minute.  He had intended to video the take-off too.  He was pretty impressed with the plane, showing all his buddies in the crew lounge last night my trip back to IMT.  After all the hours he put into my project, I'm glad he was able to enjoy our flight last night!
Beware (and turn your volume up), it doesn't sound like your typical Lycoming or Continental when it fires up. 
Tom

That’s awesome! I’m sure he had a smile on for most of the night!!!! Out of curiosity, how do I make my Lycoming sound like that???? Is it an STC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Love the sound of a PT6 starting.

First the sound of the compressor then the ignitors ticking away followed by the light off. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Love the sound of a PT6 starting.

First the sound of the compressor then the ignitors ticking away followed by the light off. :)

Thanks.  But it’s a Walters Turbine.  Now owned by GE.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Eventually the propeller starts turning...  ;)

And then goes in and out of “Beta” as you taxi to the runway.  At idle that beast puts 125HP to the prop (at a measly 18 gallons an hour) unless in Beta.  

Tom

• Like 2

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Eman,

ugh, what happened?

Best regards,

-a-

luckily it happened at home but I made a sweet landing, then found myself putting in massive amounts of rudder to hold the centerline, then felt the plane being sluggish and wobbling a bit, knew it right away.  it really was mostly a non-event, other than a high level of suck factor.  I was able to turn off the runway and only held up a few planes for a few minutes while they did a quick runway inspection.  then had the plane towed to the local rip-off mechanic to get a new tire.  actually I can't really say that yet, they're under new management so I guess I'll find out soon.

• Like 2

I’ve only had one flat in 30 years and 2200 hours.  Flew to Olympia KOLM on a Sunday.  Landing and taxi to parking went fine but when I came out to leave an hour or so later a main tire was flat.  Nobody was around the airport so I walked a half mile to a convenience store and bought a can of stop leak with compressed air.  I was nervous on landing back home after a 40 minute flight but it held pressure. New tube installed before next fli:unsure:ght 

• Like 1

No flying today, but getting closer to wrapping up the annual. A couple evenings at the hangar, a 14 hour day there yesterday, and about 8 hours today. Not all of it is annual related but quite a bit of "while it's all apart..."  AP/IA was there for a good part of yesterday and I'll be meeting him Tuesday to swing the gear and check the pre-loads.

Biggest addition was finishing up the lights today. Ran new wires from the wingtips and the tail. Installed the new Aveo Galactica's that I won at the Mooney Summit Silent Auction (Thank you Mooney Summit!) and a Wheelen Orion on the tail. I did have them all synced, but the Wheelen flashes at a different rate then the Aveo's so they just were all wonky. However with the wings synced and the tail on its own I think it will have added visibility and I won't have a distraction of the wings not being together.

Still up to do before buttoning it all back up is installing the electric step from Rob (@takair) and getting rid of the vacuum step in preparation for yanking the whole vacuum system when the AV-30 is certified.

• Like 4

Good evening MS California!

Good morning MS London!

Good Morning MS Australia!

It’s that time of day where MS is awake around the world....

G’day from MS NJ!

For anyone not familiar...   check the time stamps of the most recent posts.   :):):)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2