Today's flight in 2019

bonal

I know proper radio technique is to use your full callsign until ATC shortens it for you, so it must be a real pain to be N6000000.

Was doing the RNAV and they vectored the guy in front of me away for “sequencing” and asked me to “descend and maintain 4000, maintain maximum forward speed.” After I got to 190 kts they said, “please slow to 150 kts.” My son said “they must not know how fast Mooneys are.”

5BBB6E38-83A9-4506-8545-9BE02D7CCC56.jpeg

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

A late entry, the picture was from Friday evening and the video from a week ago.    Getting ready to head out and do the round trip to Boston and back again today.

Bradb

Meridian N951TB

90C74F92-D026-406C-8D21-8DD91858352A.thumb.jpeg.b601a4a2e246cea63c77ab54b0ece1cf.jpeg

2151E89F-F53A-454F-802A-B83FFE88B887.thumb.jpeg.e63a9af47a61371ddaafc4c9497f6999.jpeg

Edited by BradB
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Anyone have a challenge with Brad’s video, or just me?

Brad,

Which airport do you usually use when you do the run into Boston?

Best regards,

-a-

Hanscom (KBED) is very close to my daughter’s home.   And the fuel there is a great price with one of the discount cards.

Bradb 

N951TB 

• Like 1

Realized in updating my logbook that I am now at 395 hours, almost 3 years of Mooney ownership, and need to do a better job sharing General Aviation with others. My wife and I took a couple kids from our early morning Seminary class for a little hop over to Riverside for brunch and then I let one of them do some flying after. The winds were crazy, 20 mph headwind on the downwind leg at 1,000AGL (out of the east) and after landing saw the flag at the approach end of the field showing winds from the south and the sock at the other end showing winds from the north. Full rudder on short final to keep pointed in the right direction, the kids both loved it, my wife not quite as much...:lol:

Riverside Brunch, Nov 16, 2019

20191116_095159.thumb.jpg.0e25efb9529399eef39505f3b15c036e.jpg20191116_101635.thumb.jpg.d8ce27977ba0bab7637714c505705e1a.jpg20191116_114754.thumb.jpg.d16ffeede2b9483b9630cebdcf25056c.jpg

• Like 12

It's been over a month since we last flew. There have been fires power outages family commitments and an airport closed for runway resurfacing.  We needed to make a supply flight but there were forecast and resulting turbulence all over the area and I don't like to fly in anything that makes for an uncomfortable ride for my wife. But a flight needed to be made so I opted to fly solo and do some aero maneuvers and a few full stop landings locally . Snoopy started right up, Concord battery performance was perfect even though no charge had been done during the long break.  The flights were all good with each landing being better than the one before.  Some strong wind was blowing right down the runway making for a bit of a challenge on crosswind and base turns and legs. Lampson has a nice little hill right off the end of rwy 28 and while in the crosswind the strong winds coming over the hill wanted to swing the tail right around plus I was getting a climb rate of over twelve hundred feet per minute so really required some stick and rudder to keep things coordinated . The conditions shook all the rust off (the pilot) in short order. Was good to get Snoopy out of the hangar into the air where it belongs.

• Like 6

Yeah I need to get up more often as apparently I rust like Chinese stamped steel. I couldn’t figure out for the life of me why the dang plane wouldn’t accelerate past 130mph. I was doing some IFR approach speeds practice following a matrix sheet I printed out. I just figured, “well 2230 SMOH, she must be getting tired...” Apparently I forgot to retract the gear when I finished my IFR maneuvering and didn’t realize it until I was setting up for landing and scratched my head wondering why the gear handle was already locked up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So did another mercy flight on Friday.  This guy had a liver transplant late this summer and his follow up around Labor Day rendered him a 30 stay the the prized resort "U of M Hospital".  He came home with a feeding tube up his nose a week ago and will have weekly visits for the foreseeable future.  His attitude is good though.

The last picture is the Door County Peninsula.

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20191122/1300Z/KIMT/KARB

NWALL flight 11-22-19.jpg

NWALL flight 11-22-19-2.jpg

NWALL flight 11-22-19-3.jpg

• Like 8

Flew to Sacramento to have Executive Autopilots fix my KFC 150 on Monday, that suddenly wouldn’t pass the self test. Trim servo is suspected by them. Stopped overnight in Redmond OR. Flew by Mt. Shasta. Didn’t it used to have a snow/ice pack on top like Mt. Rainier?

C10218E2-9799-40E4-A26D-71E744DEDD37.jpeg

594B67AA-B2AF-4048-A6F2-D67A23D7ECD6.jpeg

74B2D797-100C-4057-BA88-9CCBFF09CFF8.jpeg

6DF6C137-1AC5-4FDA-AF2C-A054613DF5DC.jpeg

• Like 7

Return trip.  The trim servo was the culprit. Bad transistor replaced. Despite BK refusing to send copy of circuit board diagram. My serial number servo was newer than the publicly released diagrams. David at Executive Autopilots was able to reverse engineer it.  He also calibrated HSI to autopilot to correct the one dot error I have had for a while. Total under 1 AMU. I’m a satisfied customer.  Just got ahead of the big storm hitting Sacramento right now. Got some nice tailwinds for a while. Flew right over Lamson Field, home of Lake Aero.  4:20 flight. In clouds about 4 hours of that.

766FA15F-FBE4-4C06-9EB4-B89CE45ABEB4.jpeg

2DB0A5DB-4B0C-4840-A061-BA316FD3540F.jpeg

5AC887C9-B9C3-497E-B8A8-3D58663685EF.png

FCB2352E-6177-47AA-825A-4EAE06929E62.png

• Like 8

Today's entry in "today's flight in 2019" is the flight I didn't take today.

A tough no go decision - and I didn't go.  I was hoping to have a nice picture looking down at a Thanksgiving traffic jam from the air hauling at 250mph.

Forecasts were pretty good, even as of this morning's TAF's for KPTD->KHFD (home Potsdam, NY - upstate, over the Adirondack mtns to the GA airport in Hartford CT).  It would be 1hr vs 6hrs drive.  But already the actual weather at my home airport was not agreeing at all with the forecasts. Forecast were (trying to remember) something like 10mi-8000 ft and actual 2 or 3mi, mist and 500ft.  Flyable but I am never excited if the forecasts are so unrelated to actual weather.  So then you need to assume you have no forecast at all.  Bad weather is supposed to be coming but this is worse than even the forecasts in several hours promise, so it is not just a case of the bad weather coming early.  And then at Hartford. Forecast were something like (trying to remember), 25k until around  3pm.  But at the time I had filed my IFR for, it was actually 800ft.  And likewise at all the airports around similarly totally off.  So then I thought maybe of launching and just end up to the North, since weather coming from the south, and then drive an hour or two south which if that was all there was to it, then ok.  I have done that before - but the weather in the mtns was worse than forecast too, and actually low IFR.  SO I have two no go triggers, either on and I don't go - one is I don't fly over low IFR and the other I want to see the actual weather line up at least a little bit with the forecast or I assume I have no forecast at all.  So that's enough not to go.  Strike three is ice is forecast at 9k and I filed for 7k (to get comfortable clear of mtns) but with the sky at 500ft and so dark and mirky it just looks like ice.  

I had gone to my hangar at 11 - pre-flighted the plane, with my dog, and then sat in the folding chair for like 45 min listening to all the current reports on the phone for all the airports all around, even the northerly route that is often a saving grace around the mtns - via Burlington,. vt, but there was 300ft ceilings in Malone (15 min flight north of here - a no go trigger - and that is not in the mtns) and 1400ft ceilings in Plattsburgh (a no go trigger because it is supposed to be higher than 5k by the forecasts) then it was fine by Burlington.

So after 45 minutes of sitting in my hangar, plane preflighted, preheated, ready to go - ifr flight plan on file, door open, but sitting in my lawn chair with my little dog on my lap listening to the phone weather on the phone with a selection of airports, getting cold because it is 35f (so how can those moist dark looking clouds not be icing?!  I have tks but yeah whatever) to figure out what's going on...I said bugger I'm going home. Took my luggage out of the airplane, dog bed out, put the pre-heat blanket back on, plugged the preheater back in...me and my little dog went home.

Even now that the afternoon TAF's came out - they are still complete fiction - 12:30 KPTD forecasts is 6sm 5000ft until 8pm -- actual is now 2pm 400ft and 3sm and raining mist. 37F

At Khfd at least the 12:38 forecast lines up with the actual - 900ft 3sm.  SO primarily the lack of line-up of the actual and the forecast with worse weather coming is what put the no go on alert plus the other two factors made it easy (but hard) - TAFs a complete fiction - which is worse than not just the bad weather early.  I feel good about it.  I might drive tomorrow - we shall see.  We are expecting snow in the am here, and massive winds in Hartford area tomorrow.  Last I looked 39mph.  30mph is my no go for wind trigger, no matter what direction, in my little plane.  Otherwise sunny...gulp. 6hr drive each way plus traffic, solo.  Well with my little dog.  And my wife and 3 sons are already there.  2 of my sons I don't see as much as I used to - since they are in college!  

Written cozy fire side.

IMG_0009.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, amillet said:

Return trip.  The trim servo was the culprit. Bad transistor replaced. Despite BK refusing to send copy of circuit board diagram. My serial number servo was newer than the publicly released diagrams. David at Executive Autopilots was able to reverse engineer it.  He also calibrated HSI to autopilot to correct the one dot error I have had for a while. Total under 1 AMU. I’m a satisfied customer.  Just got ahead of the big storm hitting Sacramento right now. Got some nice tailwinds for a while. Flew right over Lamson Field, home of Lake Aero.  4:20 flight. In clouds about 4 hours of that.

766FA15F-FBE4-4C06-9EB4-B89CE45ABEB4.jpeg

2DB0A5DB-4B0C-4840-A061-BA316FD3540F.jpeg

5AC887C9-B9C3-497E-B8A8-3D58663685EF.png

FCB2352E-6177-47AA-825A-4EAE06929E62.png

Do you usually fly up along the coast? I always go inland (RBL V23 EUG) when I head up that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Today's entry in "today's flight in 2019" is the flight I didn't take today.

We've been planning to fly from SoCal to St George, UT for Thanksgiving to see my oldest son who we haven't seen in 3 months and my wife's dad. It's a nice short little flight, or a 6 hour drive. A week ago I looked at the storm that was forecast and told my wife we might be driving (still hoping the forecast would shift by a couple days. A couple days ago the forecast still hadn't changed and I told her we were definitely driving. We'll be leaving at 4:30am to beat whatever remnants of traffic are headed the Vegas way. We used to make that drive all the time but I think I've made the drive once since we got the plane three years ago and that was to move my son up there last fall.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

We've been planning to fly from SoCal to St George, UT for Thanksgiving to see my oldest son who we haven't seen in 3 months and my wife's dad. It's a nice short little flight, or a 6 hour drive. A week ago I looked at the storm that was forecast and told my wife we might be driving (still hoping the forecast would shift by a couple days. A couple days ago the forecast still hadn't changed and I told her we were definitely driving. We'll be leaving at 4:30am to beat whatever remnants of traffic are headed the Vegas way. We used to make that drive all the time but I think I've made the drive once since we got the plane three years ago and that was to move my son up there last fall.

Yah - sometimes you just gotta drive.

I will likely be driving tomorrow - my drive is complicated by two things - 1) my wife and youngest son went yesterday (drive) to see the brothers (two older brothers) for as long as possible but I stayed behind since I was needed at work, and was hoping to fly, 2) there is snow in them there mountains today and tonight.  We shall see - if snow clears out to fly or drive tomorrow - and if winds are less than 39mph forecast tomorrow to fly.  Otherwise its me and my little dog for thanksgiving alone. :-O

4 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Do you usually fly up along the coast? I always go inland (RBL V23 EUG) when I head up that way.

That is the route I flew down. It was already snowing inland and MEA is higher there and I was worried about ice

• Like 1