Today's flight in 2019

bonal

Lampson field closed for three weeks, power off for three days now at home with at least two more likely to go. And another major F ing wildfire burning just west of us. At least we haven't had to evacuate. I'm going out of my mind. 

• Sad 2

I saw an interview with the Branson, and Palihapitiya today... on CNBC.

Looks like another X-prize may follow on how to avoid electrical shut-downs without lighting the whole place on fire... and a more modern way to put out the fires once they are started...

Big capitalists with large budgets.. and great big picture ideas... looking to reward somebody for coming up with the answers...

The discussion was about 15seconds at the end of the interview... the talking head interviewer almost cut off the surprising 15 seconds... but Palihapitiya was unhampered with the distraction and clearly finished the interesting statement... before the commercial break.

Best regards,

-a-

This just happened this weekend. Wife surprised me with a private flight with the crew of FIFI after the Wings Over Dallas airshow for my birthday. One of the most incredible experiences of my life. Crawling through the crew tube over the bomb bay to get to the rear guns was sombering.  Can't image those guys trying to deliver payloads on target while getting peppered by flak and torn through by enemy fighters.  Helped clean off the gallons of oil that leak from each engine after the flight as well. 

IMG_20191027_164053.jpg

IMG_20191027_172724.jpg

IMG_20191027_175401.jpg

MVIMG_20191027_175231.jpg

Edited by DualRatedFlyer
  • Like 9

I know it’s all a matter of perspective, but how can you fault a guy from getting excited about something he poured 18+ years of his life into, probably 10,000 man hours of work, after a flight like today?  

Did an AIRLIFELINE flight today; fighting an 80+ knot headwind on the westbound leg but boy was the flight home amazing.   Beat my previous best ground speed of 412 knots!   Just couldn’t quite hit the 420 knot barrier but got really close.  Had jet traffic called out a 1,000’ below me going INTO the same wind I was enjoying on my tail.  He passed immediately under me and the closing speed was impressive.  Pretty darn sure I was kicking his butt on ground speed today.  

I am having WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT

Tom

A115020F-4E9A-46CC-9739-9405898B271A.jpeg

• Like 11

Tom,

That is only just amazing...! :)

212kias

301tas

418kts GS

481mph GS

121kt nearly direct TW

37.2gph

Now for the fun part...

About 13mpg... typical pick-up truck mpg (if I did the math correctly)

Did you slow down to enjoy the tailwind some more?

Best regards and thank you for sharing the awesome details...,

-a-

• Like 1

No, I rarely ever pull back power.  Especially when flying cross country.   If the trip had been long enough I would have climbed to FL270 and dropped the fuel burn to 30-31 GPH.  Probably would have picked up some more tailwind too.  

Tom

• Like 2

No, I rarely ever pull back power.  Especially when flying cross country.   If the trip had been long enough I would have climbed to FL270 and dropped the fuel burn to 30-31 GPH.  Probably would have picked up some more tailwind too.  
Tom

I’ve heard flying that high is tough on the body, even with O2.

Tom

I have no "Today's "Flight." Summer was ungodly hot; September was 100°+ every day, no rain, flew my sweatbox only when I had to. The last two weekends have been wet and rainy. Driving home after work yesterday, the blinky white lights on the cell towers were up in the clouds. Still widespread low IFR today, but above the cell towers. More of the same tomorrow, followed by a precipitous 20°+ temperature drop for the weekend. Family issues will keep me on the ground this weekend, even if the weather is flyable . . . .  :(

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I conducted another mercy flight Thursday afternoon.  I didn't get out until later in the afternoon (was working on the hangar project I posted about last night).  Picked up the patient in RST (Mayo Clinic) and brought her back to Houghton.  There was a solid overcast (with icing, argh) so put my deicing system back to work.  It was pretty much dark when I left Houghton but as soon as I busted through the tops I got an amazing view of the sunset.  

Tom

Lancair sunset #2 10-31-19 .jpg

Lancair sunset 10-31-19.jpg

• Like 11

Finally got some wind beneath my wings today. This photo is after the flight, with my two gorgeous mechanical babes in the same shot. Fun fact: Vne on the E is 189 and the top speed of the 911 is 179.

So, I get in, get ready to start and my checklist booklet is missing. I hoofed it. BTW, thanks guys for the insurance thread, I was EXTRA CAREFUL with the gear.

Headed down the RWY, no ASI. Too late, Mooney loves to fly and takes off on her own so I hoofed it until I realized about 10 minutes out from the airport that maybe, just maybe, pitot heat might get it back. It did.

The engine ran like it was in the Arctic (that's a good thing in Southeast Texas). I started to close the roof vent scoop and then thought better of it--better to fly with a cold draft than no draft come summer should the cable break :P

Got back and had the tower say, "Sir, you look like you are on line with 16 (I was CTL for 12)". Normally, some controllers are just very respectful or they are former military, but this "Sir" read out as: Hey you old fart, you're heading towards the wrong RWY. <sigh>

Still a great flight and she put the step down!IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.4fe3f91be9ea5c9bea30d9ec1caa176b.JPG

• Like 7

I know it’s a little overdue but I took my daughter Ashley to get some pie at 0S9, last Sunday afternoon. The Spruce Goose Cafe is famous for their pie. Had a terrific flight up from 1W1 with good vis and little turbulence. We got up there 3 minutes after they closed (neglected to check their hours. ). So we flew back and got Shari’s pie instead. 182aca50c480b5e91f97e7135b6783c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

So the wife went to our Florida home last Sunday with two of her girlfriends for almost 2 weeks.  With maybe one day since then even hitting above freezing for the high, and lows in the low teens, she sends me a beach photo on Thursday rubbing in the great weather she’s seeing.   After a smart remark from me about feeding her horses in the lowest temps of the day (daybreak) she says “well, if you knew someone with an airplane you could be down here  in 3.5 hours”.   Wrong tease ...... I snuck in on her yesterday around noon.   

I was able to wash and wax my plane OUTSIDE this morning.   Just staying for a few days but what an awesome break to an early onset of winter in the U.P.

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT

• Like 7

Not a lot of time for flying as we are in the home stretch of marching band season for my youngest son. One more week and we get our Saturday's back...

For those of you that are freezing, it was a cool 60°F here this morning. We wanted to get in an early flight before it got too warm, topped out at 90°F today. A short little hop from KFUL to KRAL for some breakfast and 100LL that was 50 cents a gallon less than my home base. We did enjoy our meal outside on the patio where even though it was in the shade it was still comfortable.:)

20191109_084545.thumb.jpg.8155b5856a445c8086ef3b57c6019231.jpg20191109_085250.thumb.jpg.7c69c7179b7ed2f26ab0a94934207229.jpg20191109_093731.thumb.jpg.ec5a811efbf8a40b90add7b0a33b86fa.jpg

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Not a lot of time for flying as we are in the home stretch of marching band season for my youngest son. One more week and we get our Saturday's back...

For those of you that are freezing, it was a cool 60°F here this morning. We wanted to get in an early flight before it got too warm, topped out at 90°F today. A short little hop from KFUL to KRAL for some breakfast and 100LL that was 50 cents a gallon less than my home base. We did enjoy our meal outside on the patio where even though it was in the shade it was still comfortable.:)

20191109_084545.thumb.jpg.8155b5856a445c8086ef3b57c6019231.jpg20191109_085250.thumb.jpg.7c69c7179b7ed2f26ab0a94934207229.jpg20191109_093731.thumb.jpg.ec5a811efbf8a40b90add7b0a33b86fa.jpg

Mmmm! Waffles . . . .