Today's flight in 2019

bonal

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Sorry are you REALLY tryng to convince this Brit that Americans can walk and dont just drive everywhere.  :)

Ain't no rental cars or courtesy vehicles at KFFA . . . . . Not even courtesy bicycles . . . . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Sorry are you REALLY tryng to convince this Brit that Americans can walk and dont just drive everywhere.  :)

That's just not true.  Sometimes when I park my car at the Walmart I need to walk all the way across the parking lot to find a nice motorized shopping cart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Driving is too... pedestrian.  :)

April in Florida can be really chilly... in NC, it was probably just above freezing...

With a plane full of people, it is hard to carry along the fancy powered bikes, skate boards, or hover boards...

Not enough UL to carry a spare case of beer.

Given the choice... walk to get food and beer, or stay stationary... the usual American sedentary lifestyle has to take a back seat...

With the LB, and only one other person, there is plenty of room for all that, a spare power source, and ice if you were to want your beer cooled... and all the sweatshirts you ever needed...

When at first flight... there is only one rule posted...  ‘No Camping’...

Surprised we didn’t get arrested for possession of a tent or two.

what can you do with that finely posted sign..?

The whole visit is about celebrating defying important laws... namely the laws of physics, and that pesky law of gravity, and doing things that people called crazy...

So when visiting FF... wait til the sun goes down... before setting up the tent!

Be experienced before attempting setting up a tent in the dark, with 20kt chilly winds... and a nights worth of food and beer in your stomach.  :)

Not admitting any guilt... I may have seen somebody doing this...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

Today at Udvar-Hazy at Dulles I “flew” the Wright Model B simulator.  Jeez, three minutes seemed like FOREVER.  Rotate st 35. Best climb 35. Best cruise 35.  Stall 35 (seemingly) Wing warp to turn with hideous adverse yaw roll stick left = forward and right = aft.  Thot I was going to die.  And I have thousands of hours: the Wrights had to learn to fly in that beast.   

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Today at Udvar-Hazy at Dulles I “flew” the Wright Model B simulator.  Jeez, three minutes seemed like FOREVER.  Rotate st 35. Best climb 35. Best cruise 35.  Stall 35 (seemingly) Wing warp to turn with hideous adverse yaw roll stick left = forward and right = aft.  Thot I was going to die.  And I have thousands of hours: the Wrights had to learn to fly in that beast.   

Amazing - isn't it.  The wrights had to learn to fly that thing with no experienced CFI to teach them how to do it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

There was good ol'

Edward Payson Weston, the world's first professional pedestrian.  Besides outdoor endurance walk-records, they used to pack Madison Square Gardens with excited fans watching competitive walkers walking laps quickly around a little indoor track.  What fun!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Payson_Weston

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

They'd been flying gliders they'd built with previous versions of the controls, though, so it wasn't totally unfamiliar.

• Like 1

Last week my wife and I had our 25th wedding anniversary and we went to Prince Edward Island. Beautiful.

Most interesting thing we did was rent kayaks and go clamming on the Bay of Fundi.  They gave us directions - line up a light house and a place on land - which took like 30 min of kayaking to get to the starting point - then head straight out to see along that line for another 30 min and at low tide a sand bar emerges from the water. And there were tons of clams in that sand to rack out.  And 2 bald eagles were there clamming with us.  Biggest clams I ever saw.

I told my wife - well 25 years - half way there.  

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Last week my wife and I had our 25th wedding anniversary and we went to Prince Edward Island. Beautiful.

Most interesting thing we did was rent kayaks and go clamming on the Bay of Fundi.  They gave us directions - line up a light house and a place on land - which took like 30 min of kayaking to get to the starting point - then head straight out to see along that line for another 30 min and at low tide a sand bar emerges from the water. And there were tons of clams in that sand to rack out.  And 2 bald eagles were there clamming with us.  Biggest clams I ever saw.

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

I’m confused.  When did the move the Bay of Fundy to PEI?  

Congratulations on 25 years!

Clarence

13 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

That looks like a great time! Last year, took my wife, who has been all over the world but never to Canada, and went to Halifax and then drove to PEI for our 20th. It is still as beautiful as it was when I worked there 20+ years ago.

In keeping with our tradition of alternating vacation locations, in 2020 we are heading to Quebec City after Belize this year. Looking forward to retirement so we can fly ourselves and take more than an couple of weeks doing this.

• Like 1

Just now, Oldguy said:

That looks like a great time! Last year, took my wife, who has been all over the world but never to Canada, and went to Halifax and then drove to PEI for our 20th. It is still as beautiful as it was when I worked there 20+ years ago.

In keeping with our tradition of alternating vacation locations, in 2020 we are heading to Quebec City after Belize this year. Looking forward to retirement so we can fly ourselves and take more than an couple of weeks doing this.

We loooove Quebec City!  Enjoy!!!

we have one boy still at home - 18 years old - or we would have taken a full week instead of just 3 nights.

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

We loooove Quebec City!  Enjoy!!!

we have one boy still at home - 18 years old - or we would have taken a full week instead of just 3 nights.

I'll remember this and shoot you a PM as we get closer to heading up there. We try to go around her birthday (8/27) when we head north as we have had just about all of the Alabama summer we can stand.

Plus, it is fun to hear people complaining about how hot the 82dF days are!

24 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

I'll remember this and shoot you a PM as we get closer to heading up there. We try to go around her birthday (8/27) when we head north as we have had just about all of the Alabama summer we can stand.

Plus, it is fun to hear people complaining about how hot the 82dF days are!

...I think you may well pass right over my head on your way to Quebec City from Alabama.  Stop by and say hi!

No kidding - yesterday I was walking between buildings with the chair of chemical engineering and he was wearing a suit and then he started complaining it was too hot - and then I started making fun of him because it was 78F.  Sunny, light breeze and moderate low humidity.  I was wearing shorts and a polo, and sunglasses of course.

• Like 2

Flew my 75F to Tulsa from Memphis. I have had her for almost 3 years and never bothered to check my true air speed. Well today I did the math and to my surprise, I am getting 147 knots true, straight and level, WOT, 2400 RPM, ROP. I always plan for 135, so I guess I need to change that!

• Like 4

Today at 10:15am we touched down in Fullerton (KFUL) completing our coast to coast tour. It was the trip of a lifetime. Over 5,000 miles flown, 10 new airports landed at, 7 new states landed in, and time with my boys that could never be duplicated.

KFUL -> KIWA -> KPVW -> KPBF -> M01 -> KHKY -> KJNX -> KFFA -> KJNX -> KDNL ->KMEI -> KCPT -> KCNM -> KIWA -> KFUL

1368205916_CoasttoCoast.thumb.jpg.4fb4d0b39a853e943cccadcf70c9a4bc.jpg

As you know I don’t post when I’m out of town, but I'll start posting up the details over in the coast to coast thread I started in the coming days.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Today at 10:15am we touched down in Fullerton (KFUL) completing our coast to coast tour. It was the trip of a lifetime. Over 5,000 miles flown, 10 new airports landed at, 7 new states landed in, and time with my boys that could never be duplicated.

KFUL -> KIWA -> KPVW -> KPBF -> M01 -> KHKY -> KFFA -> KJNX -> KDNL ->KMEI -> KCPT -> KCNM -> KIWA -> KFUL

As you know I don’t post when I’m out of town, but I'll start posting up the details over in the coast to coast thread I started in the coming days.

Richard,

I've said for 20+ years; IMHO, it's not a cross country flight unless after you're first fuel stop, you are still flying away from your original departure point.  My first Cross Country trip, in a C150, I had 3 fuel stops BEFORE arriving at my destination.  You, my friend, have qualified in the "Tom's book of true Cross Country flights"!!  

Way to use a Mooney like it was intended!

Tom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

KFUL -> KIWA -> KPVW -> KPBF -> M01 -> KHKY -> KFFA -> KJNX -> KDNL ->KMEI -> KCPT -> KCNM -> KIWA -> KFUL

WOW!!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Love it!  Time to update your “states I’ve landed in” signature pic!

Edited by M016576
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Flight over Crater Lake, OR.  I was depending on my passengers for better pictures, but this is all I could get from my phone and the dashcam.

IMG_20190623_155605.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-06-23-10h25m35s083.png

"this is all I could get ........."   

Smart Ass.  Looks pretty amazing to me!!

Tom

• Haha 1